Info on '08 CBR1000RR

Bubba

Picking up a like-new CBR w/1100 mi in a few days and got a few questions:

1. All previous bikes were carbed, so not a lot of experience with fuelies. The idle on the bike seems a little high--tach reading 1500 or so, even warm. Normal? Need an ECU reflash?

2. What schedule do the valves need setting? Any other maintenance items on the new bikes other than oil/filter? Is gas stabilizer OK to use with the new fuel systems?

Thx--Bubba

More or less guidelines when I asked about my new Triumph. Valves should be looked/regapped in the 20-30,000 mile range. They seem to idle a little higher than carbed bikes. Most newer bikes seem to idle 1200-1500 or so.

1. 1500 idle is too high, I'd adjust the idle back down to about 1000-1100

2. Your bike shouldn't need a valvetrain adjust/lash until you're in the 15k mile range or more - refer to your service manual for proper intervals. And yes, fuel stabilizer if fine to use in injected bikes.

there's a knob that adjusts the idle, just like on a carb'd bike. no need to re-map for that.

some FI bikes do have a "faux" choke though. Many will idle a bit high in neutral, but drop down to a normal range when you click them into gear. RIDE the bike a bit (in more than 40 degree temps) before making major adjustments.

Thx for the help. Idle has settled down to +/-1200 now that it's a bit warmer. Still seems a bit too high, but liveable. I picked up a factory service manual yesterday, and I'll do some reading soon, but I have yet to see any reference to an idle adjust screw in the owner's manual.

One more 'stoopid' question: I've put about 300 miles on the bike over the weekend, and noticed an odd sound--like a loud exhaust resonance--that starts at about 4K RPM, mostly in 3-4-5-6 gear. Exhaust gets considerably louder as engine goes thru the 4K mark, and it doesn't seem to be a function of throttle position, i.e., happens even at cruise w/light throttle. Is this a function of the exhaust backpressure valve opening? (can't remember what Honda calls it--EXUP?) Manual says that's supposed to happen at 6-8K...