25 Years in jail for in-home daycare owner convicted of abusing kids

Scruit

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2011/04/01/story-columbus-babysitter-to-be-sentenced-videotapes.html?sid=102

So why did this lady get 25 years and the tri-valley bus driver get 30 days in the death of that young boy? We never did get a good explanation of why that bus crashed. :mad:

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2011/04/01/story-columbus-babysitter-to-be-sentenced-videotapes.html?sid=102

So why did this lady get 25 years and the tri-valley bus driver get 30 days in the death of that young boy? We never did get a good explanation of why that bus crashed. :mad:

Probably because there wasn't as much evidence.

I think the lesson here is not to send your kids to the lady running a daycare out of her apartment.

I think the lesson here is not to send your kids to the lady running a daycare out of her apartment.

It's tough though. Places like Goddard, Kinder Care etc charge about $1k/month for 6 years!! ( ask me how I know :mad: ) By the time one child hits elementary school you've already spent $70k.

There *ARE* good in-home daycares, but you simply don't know if the place is bad until something bad happens. My $1k/mo at Goddard got me the peace of mind that there are measures in place to ensure my boy is going to be safe from a bad adult.

(On the plus side, once he hit elementary school I suddenly got an extra $1k/mo that I had become accustomed to not having. = new VStrom! :D )

So, according to the story, the boyfriend was "concerned".

He set up a hidden camera.

Once he started watching what had been filmed, he knew he "needed to go through the 200 hours" he had filmed?

IF you're concerned enough to set up a camera, wouldn't you check earlier than 3 weeks after you set up the camera (assuming 12 hours video/day, and 5 days/week) ???

:nono::nono:

So, according to the story, the boyfriend was "concerned".

He set up a hidden camera.

Once he started watching what had been filmed, he knew he "needed to go through the 200 hours" he had filmed?

IF you're concerned enough to set up a camera, wouldn't you check earlier than 3 weeks after you set up the camera (assuming 12 hours video/day, and 5 days/week) ???

:nono::nono:

Sounds like too much, yup. Depends on how he set up the camera, though. If it ran 24x7 then it would be 9 days. And we don't know how many of those hours might have been between him reviewing the evidence for the first time and the recording being stopped due to her arrest (ie, how long did it take him to ge the videos to his lawyer, and then to family services, then to the police)

We also don't know hay many hours of that video showed nothing out of the ordinary. It may have been over a hundred hours of nothign unusual and then suddenly all heck broke losse. We just don't know.

Edited by Scruit

Probably because there wasn't as much evidence.

We used to have my daughter in one of those "professional" daycares. Insane prices and every time we went in there, she looked so sad. This was when she was crawling a little bit and she was always left in the crib with just her blanket, no toys or anything, or she'd be in one of the swings. I felt bad for her because she was just left in a corner by herself.

Now a woman that goes to our church watches her and a few other kids. It's much cheaper and my daughter's brain is stimulated. She does all kinds of activities and has a lot of fun there. So much better for everyone.

It's much cheaper and my daughter's brain is stimulated. She does all kinds of activities and has a lot of fun there. So much better for everyone.

Different daycare are... different. Goddard has a stated lesson plan, it's not simply "baby storage". Goddard did such a good job teaching my boy that in our first 1st grade teacher conference we were given 2nd grade reading/math text books for him to work on instead.

Some places take your money and sorta promise your kid won't be dead when you arrive after work. Those places are what I call "Baby Storage". Some places have a structure and a lesson plan and are much better.

My boy always thrived at his daycare.

My parents had me at a private residence when I was younger. Another one of the kids she was watching got a hold of the iron the lady was using to do laundry. Long story short she walked away and I ended up with a 3rd degree burn across my face at the age of 2. It is 99.9% healed at this point, the only time you can tell anything ever happened is if I get a fever the side of my face turns bright red.

Different daycare are... different. Goddard has a stated lesson plan, it's not simply "baby storage". Goddard did such a good job teaching my boy that in our first 1st grade teacher conference we were given 2nd grade reading/math text books for him to work on instead.

Some places take your money and sorta promise your kid won't be dead when you arrive after work. Those places are what I call "Baby Storage". Some places have a structure and a lesson plan and are much better.

My boy always thrived at his daycare.

Absolutely. My point was that just because it's private doesn't mean it's not as good as a public place. It goes both ways.

Absolutely. My point was that just because it's private doesn't mean it's not as good as a public place. It goes both ways.

Oh yeah. And just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better. A year after my boy started at Goddard I changed jobs. We checked out a couple of the big names near my new job and one place give me the heeby-jeebies in a major way. They had 12 kids and 3 adults so tighly packed in one room that there was not room for my wife and I to both enter the room at the same time for the tour. :nono: That was a Kinder Care location. To this day we call that place Kinder Scare.

That tour made me SERIOULY consider shit-canning the whole concept of daycare. For weeks after that I had dreams of my boy being in that crowded room looking up at my crying.

We just moved him to a different Goddard school. The two locations I have experience with (Worthington Hills and Lewis Center) were both excellent.

It's all about people. I don't care if you pay a thousand bucks or a hundred bucks a month - you are entrusting your child to PEOPLE. You have to be able to trust those people. You have to continue to be involved. You can't just choose a sitter and then quit caring.