Carb Issue on 06 Connie

Jcarlson

Ok folks, I have a 2006 Kawasaki Concours Zg1000 that I bought a few weeks ago from a broker. The broker told me an issue it had with the carbs.

Choke it, fire it up, it runs just fine. Ride on down the road, going through the gears, everything is fine. When downshifting to a stop it stalls. Pull in the clutch, hit the starter, it fires right back up and runs fine.

What gives?

The broker suggested it could "possibly" need the carbs cleaned since it has 57k miles, but being a broker he didn't know for sure. He was going by what other mechanics said the problem "sounded like".

I had it over to Pony Powersports and had the carbs cleaned, all new float needles, new plugs, new air filter, and oil change. I picked the bike up today and the problem is still there. I didn't have them look into that problem specifically as I know they typically don't do diagnostics and heavy engine work, especially since they're not even a Kawasaki dealer. That's just not what they do.

I don't know to what depth they cleaned the carbs - be it a complete disassemble and cleaning or just soak it in the tank, but they changed the float needles and the carb bodies are really shiny now so it's eveident they did something substantial. I'm not trying to say they did a lousy job. They did what I asked them to do. Not diss'ing P.P.S. at all.

Anyway, am I looking at new idle jets, complete rebuilds, or something simple like a choke/throttle/idle adjustment? Also, are Cdonnies known for this issue? Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Jim

When you downshift, do you boil the throttle and match revs (engine brake) down to a stop, or do you pull the clutch and basically idle to a stop downshifting to the appropriate gear for the speed? If it is the latter, it sounds as though your carbs may be loading up with fuel, and basically flooding the engine. Fix for that could be just a simple carb adjustment and sync.

Check the idle jets for blockage. I suspect PPS did not synch the carbs as they would have experienced this problem - unless they synch'd the cold. Do yourself a favor and dig into the bike and check it out yourself. You will learn more about the bike, become more self-sufficient and save yourself some cash in the future.

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but carbs isn't one of them so doing it myself as a first timer probably wouldn't be a good thing. I'd end up with extra parts!! I'd need some tutoring. Plus I don't have vacuum gauges to synch them with so I'm dead in the water as far as that goes. But I'm with you on DIY stuff. I prefer that, but I'd rather have someone over my shoulder when I do. I'd end up breaking something if I didn't. LOL

Jim

The symptom is lack of idle fuel, but a vacuum leak will do the same thing. Too much air at idle, and only noticeable at idle. Neither one will particularly stall the bike, just make it run rough and sort of bogged down at idle. I hate to ask the obvious, but what happens if you raise the idle? Also, are the spark plugs of the correct type. Cold plugs will stall a bike at idle.

edit: ok, one more. Is there an adequate flow of fuel. If the tank isn't venting properly, it will tend to stall after stopping when you were previously moving. But won't stall if started and just sitting there. I'd try riding it carefully with the tank cap open, but I wouldn't do it with a full tank. I've seen Camaros do this. The other way is taking the fuel cap off and trying to blow air through the vent. I just blow through it with my mouth, but it usually leaves a nasty taste of gasoline. I swear all fuel caps eventually get clogged up and fail. I recently replaced the fuel cap on my Jeep for fault.

Edited by ReconRat