I upgraded to the droid x

chevysoldier

Application security can, and should be turned back off when not needed.

If an update to an Amazon app comes up, turn the permissions back on first.

I had one this morning and it bombed because of that. It will try again.

Oh, and I've heard that if you uninstall the Amazon app/store thingy, the apps downloaded with it might not work right.

Application security can, and should be turned back off when not needed.

If an update to an Amazon app comes up, turn the permissions back on first.

I had one this morning and it bombed because of that. It will try again.

+ Eleventy billion, security first! If the perms are off and you try to install something, it'll take you directly to the screen where you can turn them on.

Oh, and I've heard that if you uninstall the Amazon app/store thingy, the apps downloaded with it might not work right.

IF the app has Amazon's DRM applied to it, then the AppStore app needs to be installed on the device. Allegedly this will make it "simple" for users to switch between devices. See, it's all about the "customer experience".

However, a "way around that" (the DRM) has been posted on teh intarwebs. :D

i actually really like the 2 piece plastic holster+half case you can get from verizon. it's pretty cheap, and does the job. retention is ok, short of hanging upside down, and easy to use.

apps i like: if you're rooted, get wifi tether at minimum.

jorte is a good calendar app, so is quick settings and simple sound profile widget.

words with friends is ok if you like scrabble (notifications can be a bit wonky at times).

google goggles is handy if you get lots of business cards to add to your contacts list.

some others i'm forgetting. it's perfectly capable of doing all the things the apps do (for the most part) but the apps add a different interface that can make it easier to access all the functions.

definitely kill task killer. it is pointless.

i actually really like the 2 piece plastic holster+half case you can get from verizon. it's pretty cheap, and does the job. retention is ok, short of hanging upside down, and easy to use.

apps i like: if you're rooted, get wifi tether at minimum.

jorte is a good calendar app, so is quick settings and simple sound profile widget.

words with friends is ok if you like scrabble (notifications can be a bit wonky at times).

google goggles is handy if you get lots of business cards to add to your contacts list.

some others i'm forgetting. it's perfectly capable of doing all the things the apps do (for the most part) but the apps add a different interface that can make it easier to access all the functions.

definitely kill task killer. it is pointless.

If it's rooted and you use the wifi tether, do you still have to pay for it? Verzion wants like 30 bucks a month to do that. :nono:

If it's rooted and you use the wifi tether, do you still have to pay for it? Verzion wants like 30 bucks a month to do that. :nono:

I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you! :lol:

I finally got around to rooting mine, and installed wifi tether, but rarely even could use it, I have wifi pretty much every where I go, but to have to option to do so was one reason I rooted. Also, my EVO shift doesn't have a reboot option in the power down menu, so I use quickboot.

I've been looking into rooting and it's making me nervous. Some people say it works great, others say it bricked their phones. And there a few dozen different methods out there to root it. Think I'm gonna spend some more time researching before I decide.

theres really no reason to root your phone...im assuming you already have internet at your house, so no need to tether, and loading themes and stuff is cool and all - but they dont make the phone run better or do anything you cant do without rooting

Tethering would be nice to have just in case. I'd also like to be able to uninstall apps I don't want or need.

Trying to learn all this new stuff on it. Never even had a texting phone before, just flip phones. Anybody have any tips or apps or anything to pass on?

If you haven't done it yet, get advanced task killer (you'll need it to shut all that crap down) and anti virus. Both are free in the app store.

I haven't bothered with rooting. I don't see a need yet. I haven't even played to see if I can tether. It already has the hot spot wireless. edit: I think my hot spot wireless is available, I haven't tried that yet either. And when I said application security, I probably should have said unknown application permissions turned back off. Oops. I leave mine off unless needed on a case by case basis.

Edited by ReconRat

chevy - if you DL the apppack on your comp for the on click root - it will pop up as a virus, but only because other viruses use some of the same software....its normal, and not a threat so just hit ignore

its unix based and cant hurt a windows PC

also, in your phone go to setting, apps, development, and allow usb debugging

im trying this now just to see how it goes

Edited by Steve Butters

I haven't bothered with rooting. I don't see a need yet. I haven't even played to see if I can tether. It already has the hot spot wireless. edit: I think my hot spot wireless is available, I haven't tried that yet either. And when I said application security, I probably should have said unknown application permissions turned back off. Oops. I leave mine off unless needed on a case by case basis.

Its installed but you can't use it without that plan. Like 30 more a month.

chevy - if you DL the apppack on your comp for the on click root - it will pop up as a virus, but only because other viruses use some of the same software....its normal, and not a threat so just hit ignore

its unix based and cant hurt a windows PC

also, in your phone go to setting, apps, development, and allow usb debugging

im trying this now just to see how it goes

let me know how it works out for you.

Its installed but you can't use it without that plan. Like 30 more a month.

let me know how it works out for you.

doing it now....they make it sound easier than it is in that forum link...but ive never done any of this so im learning as i go...

so far i DLd that app pack, allowed the setting in my phone, rooted, added the bootstrap .apk file to a folder in my phone, downloaded Astro through the market, installed Bootstrap with astro, now im running bootstrap and backing up my old rom.....after that im going to find out what program i need to delete all the junk apps on my phone and then ill start looking into Liberty or Gingerbread

chevy - rooted, backed up my rom, now i just got the paid version of titanium backup (free version, then pay 5.99 for access key)...paid version allows you to freeze apps so you wont see them anymore and they wont run...this way you dont have to uninstall...if verizon has an over the air update, you need those files installed before you can do the update! so removing them in not a good idea - but with the paid version you can freeze them so they wont bug you anymore

next ill be installing Liberty ROM

have to admit i expected something different lol....after rooting, everything looks and works the same with the factory ROM...i just am able to run programs that require "Superuser" permission - such as the backup programs

installing Liberty rom now - ill post up what i think of it

tbut, does the phone seem to run any different after rooting, before doign anything else? I didn't notice a difference with my current phone, but when I was using my Hero, which ran a sluggish 2.1, it did seem to run better by JUST rooting.

im not sure - seemed the same but i didnt mess with much

installed Liberty rom and i dont like it...so i tried to restore and restore said complete but when i rebooted the liberty boot up screen showed then it switched and said droid and kept half loading and stopping...wouldnt turn on...so now im restoring again

if that doesnt work ill have to either install liberty again and give it another shot or find the stock rom online and install it

only didnt like liberty because it wasnt seeming to work.....i might try to reinstall it because i really like the bigdx crystal theme ...ill post up in a few hours with the final verdict...itll either be 1. i got liberty to work, 2. i installed stock rom, 3. i bricked it and smashed it and am waiting on insurance claim to send me a new one lol

liberty didnt have the widgets i liked to use - but on the previews for the rom it has them...so there must be a way to turn them back on

going to download liberty 2.0 and try it instead of 1.5