Savage 308 Edge

Big Chief201

400-500 yards max i would say ....and yea, it would be for hunting out west, or just seeing how many chunks i can blow out of coyotes...i definitely plan to go hunting out west once im out of school though, so ide like to get a gun for it....wont be purchasing for awhile since i just bought my new .17hmr, but just researching options....ive been leaning towards .30-06, but you guys know more than i do

I like the .30-06, its huge, its common and it will kill pretty much anything that walks the earth :)

Not to mention, if you do want to switch calibers down the road, its a long action size bullet so getting something bigger in your action isnt a problem.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

308 or 30-06. Basically the same cartridge, one shorter and one longer. 308 was developed for the military because 30-06 wasn't able to do auto load or machine gun very well.

I think country folk like 30-06 and city folk like 308.

FYI, you can shoot to 1000+ yards with plenty of cartridges. Most guys that are doing it, are either shooting a factory match load with a decent bullet, or a handload with a good bullet. A high BC, match bullet and the right amount of velocity is all it takes. Those that say that a 308 (or .30-06 for that matter) aren't suited to it are making poor ammo choices. Even with match ammo, there are poor choices. IE: a 168SMK based load in the 308 is going to have issues being stable past 800 yards, but a 175smk, 155 scenar, 178 amax, etc... will all perform well out to 1200.

That said, look at the savage 10 series or the remington's with the varmint contour in a caliber you can find Black Hills, Federal, or Hornady match ammo for, if you are looking for a beginner long range rig that will have some semblance of precision out of the box.

you compete though, dont you?

any pics of your setup?

what caliber are you shooting?

Its not like there's any money in it and my new build isn't complete yet. I've had parts on order for over 6months. Consider it more along the lines of a match vs a competition. The only money to win would be your entry fee back. Long range shooting really is more of an addiction than anything else.

Its not like there's any money in it and my new build isn't complete yet. I've had parts on order for over 6months. Consider it more along the lines of a match vs a competition. The only money to win would be your entry fee back. Long range shooting really is more of an addiction than anything else.

ah i see...interested to see it once complete for sure

well if Flounder is going to be a dick and not post pics of his build when done, maybe I'll take some pics of the AR tonight if I go pickup my new glass.

Keep running your mouth and ill make sure you pay full retail for that scope and it will have a big pink dick painted on it when you pick it up. :)

Keep running your mouth and ill make sure you pay full retail for that scope and it will have a big pink dick painted on it when you pick it up. :)

ROFL! I sold a guy in Michigan an Rock River pistol one time and before I sent it I decked it out in an Ohio State photo shoot. He was not pleased, but it was funny.

This is why I have not bought a centerfire bolt gun. That and I have no place to shoot one anywhere near me.

only until the dollar collapses and the country descends into anarchy. patience my friend, patience.

Back to topic. All and all you will be looking at a heavy barrel regardless. The standard or sanduro profiles are fine for hunting as stated already, but once hot start to walk on you.

My .308 is coming along nicely (Remington 700 26" R5 Heavy Barrel)... Stock might have to wait until optics are in place. Remeber the golden rule of shooting long range... Besides being smooth slow and consistant; If you cant see it, you cant hit it!

Someone (Flounder) sent me a pic a few weeks ago of his .308 with the scope that I want, but will have to settle for a step down until next year. Very very nice. I believe he shot 1135yds in 20mph winds. Very impressive.

...I believe he shot 1135yds in 20mph winds. Very impressive.

Meh, my grandmother with astigmatism could do that while standing, on one leg, while in a helicopter, during a category 3 hurricane using a .17 HMR with iron sites. Flatfish's skills are good....but not that good.

:D

Back to topic. All and all you will be looking at a heavy barrel regardless. The standard or sanduro profiles are fine for hunting as stated already, but once hot start to walk on you.

My .308 is coming along nicely (Remington 700 26" R5 Heavy Barrel)... Stock might have to wait until optics are in place. Remeber the golden rule of shooting long range... Besides being smooth slow and consistant; If you cant see it, you cant hit it!

Someone (Flounder) sent me a pic a few weeks ago of his .308 with the scope that I want, but will have to settle for a step down until next year. Very very nice. I believe he shot 1135yds in 20mph winds. Very impressive.

1165 and it was closer to 25mph winds at the time, and in a down pour. Good shooting on his part.

You sure thats a 5R? Those have always been 24", unless you have one of those goofy triangle barreled VTR's with 5R rifling.

No its no VTR.

Gun shop ordered for me... Its what is on the box?

R5 rifling on comes on a handful of guns... That aren't military rifles

and yes the VTR's comes with it, but this is no VTR.

This one is just a good solid platform to build off of.

I know its a good platform, its what I shoot long range with.

The SS Milspec (also referred to as teh rem 5r) in 308 comes in 24", 300 winmag is 26". The only non customshop guns from rem with 5r rifling besides the SS milspec is the VTR.

So I take it yours is a winmag then?

Nope...

I went in to trade the Colt off. Could not find what I wanted in the catalog. Showed him the basic rifle and then what I wanted. He placed an order 35 days later, I had a new rifle. Paperwork in the box did not say anything about the custom shop?

I could be wrong it might be a 24" I though for sure it was the 26"

Nope...

I went in to trade the Colt off. Could not find what I wanted in the catalog. Showed him the basic rifle and then what I wanted. He placed an order 35 days later, I had a new rifle. Paperwork in the box did not say anything about the custom shop?

I could be wrong it might be a 24" I though for sure it was the 26"

If its a 308 5r, then its all stainless with a 24" barrel. Should be a black w/green speckles HS precision stock with palm swell. Otherwise its another varmint model of some sort. Either way, a good starter gun. However, the 5r's generally have better barrels. Mine averages ~.25moa out of the box while flounder's required some work from our gunsmith to get under .5moa.

If its a 308 5r, then its all stainless with a 24" barrel. Should be a black w/green speckles HS precision stock with palm swell. Otherwise its another varmint model of some sort. Either way, a good starter gun. However, the 5r's generally have better barrels. Mine averages ~.25moa out of the box while flounder's required some work from our gunsmith to get under .5moa.

Mine didnt require any work you assclown.. It shot great out of the box , it just shot better after.