Cam Stopper Tool

Mister2

hey guys trying to adjust the valves on my 00 cbr 600, the manual says i need to install the cam stopper tool so that i can measure the valve clearance...where can i get one, or is there an easy way to make one or improvise with something? thanks for any info!!

ok...sorry for being a noob...there is a bolt head sticking out of the tensioner, do i remove the bolt and stick a screwdriver in and turn it? and out of curiosity why do i need to mess with the tensioner just for checking the lash? i dont see why it would matter as a long as i have the timing marks lined up where they need to be...

ok...sorry for being a noob...there is a bolt head sticking out of the tensioner, do i remove the bolt and stick a screwdriver in and turn it? and out of curiosity why do i need to mess with the tensioner just for checking the lash? i dont see why it would matter as a long as i have the timing marks lined up where they need to be...

yes the bolt is just basically a cap.....and just checking lash no....no need to disengage the tensioner

i shoulda made that clear in my first reply

ok..thanks for the info.. the service manual says In. valve spec is .008 in +-.001, i cant even get a .002 in feeler gauge in there, but i think its cause the angle i have to bend my gauge to fit down in there...i wouldnt imagine it would be that far out of spec (20k miles, but never tracked)

ok..thanks for the info.. the service manual says In. valve spec is .008 in +-.001, i cant even get a .002 in feeler gauge in there, but i think its cause the angle i have to bend my gauge to fit down in there...i wouldnt imagine it would be that far out of spec (20k miles, but never tracked)

you need to make sure that cylinder is TDC...if it is and measures that then you need to adjust

• 2 weeks later...

update...i feel like a tard... i had it on TDC like the manual said, and i was trying to check intake valves on the cyl directly behind the timing chain, as i would in any other engine, turns out, cyl #1 is on opposite side of motor, got it figured out, all is well and within spec...thanks for the help though!!!

• 4 years later...

So, to resurrect an old thread, you don't need the tensioner stopper or need to mess with tensioner to just check the valves.

And you would need to disengage it to take the cams out to adjust the valves if necessary, right? And need a setup with a screwdriver and vice grips?

Edited by DAC

Thanks. I have the service manual, so that's covered. As for the "fucks", no problem. I just won't show this to my mom.

In the end, I may just pay to have it done. But I got a factory manual for $15 and the valve adjust didn't look so bad. Plus, I have a mechanic friend who can help.

We'll see.

Thanks again!

Edited by DAC