Grattan (STT) 4/30 - 5/1

mojocho

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah.. brand new tires.. cold track.. wasnt even pushing and she just tucked the front...

were really not sure what happened.. it was literally 30mph lowside.. no damage but paint lol

Looks like you will be busy painting again then

Grattan was a blast.. I really enjoy that layout.. Need to get faster, but I could say that for every track. I got passed by Taylor Knapp so fast I almost peed in my leathers.

Don't feel bad, that's his home track and he is really fast. As usual jinu probably didn't know he was there.

Twizted, what tires were they?

just wanted to post my quick report since i'm home and had a bit of time to relax.

day 1: cloudy, windy, chilly morning. Since this was supposedly my first "non-monsoon" track day of the year, I played in intermediate for 3 sessions. I rode like a giant pansy for a good part of the first session since I wasn't sure how grattan's repave would behave in the cold. also, there was a stream crossing the track at T6-T7 (I think?), which, i'm told was very iffy. I, riding like a biatch through there, didn't notice. As the day went on, the temps rose, and even had glorious moments with sun. Mojocho was also out there, looking good in I group.

Once the rust was gone, I was having some fun, and I bumped to A group after lunch. I had no idea taylor knapp was there. also, I have no idea what he looks like or what bike he rides... i would've imagined it would have taylor knapp all over it? Anyway, I didn't see him. I had a great time on day one, and I believe I surpassed my pace from last year near the end of the day... My timer was working intermittently so I'm not sure.

Day 2: I was originally just going to do saturday, then pick up a bike in grand rapids (for my friend, not for me... i can't fit anymore in the house/garage) then take off... but the weather forecast kept improving, so I decided to stay the night and decide in the morning... well, it was ALL clouds, and the weather forecast went to hell over night, and I was just about ready to leave without signing up when the forecast went from 60% rain to 66 degrees and partly cloudy. Hallelujah, I stayed, and just before the first session started, the sun was out in full force. The rest of the day was amazing and grattan in CCW is also a blast. I even managed to do my first accidental wheelie on the hump. I don't see why everyone loves doing wheelies, it was just scary and doesn't make you go any faster. lol

all in all, it just reaffirmed my deep seated love of grattan. the repave is fantastic.... I think the surface is better than midohio now to be honest.

just wanted to post my quick report since i'm home and had a bit of time to relax.

day 1: cloudy, windy, chilly morning. Since this was supposedly my first "non-monsoon" track day of the year, I played in intermediate for 3 sessions. I rode like a giant pansy for a good part of the first session since I wasn't sure how grattan's repave would behave in the cold. also, there was a stream crossing the track at T6-T7 (I think?), which, i'm told was very iffy. I, riding like a biatch through there, didn't notice. As the day went on, the temps rose, and even had glorious moments with sun. Mojocho was also out there, looking good in I group.

Once the rust was gone, I was having some fun, and I bumped to A group after lunch. I had no idea taylor knapp was there. also, I have no idea what he looks like or what bike he rides... i would've imagined it would have taylor knapp all over it? Anyway, I didn't see him. I had a great time on day one, and I believe I surpassed my pace from last year near the end of the day... My timer was working intermittently so I'm not sure.

Day 2: I was originally just going to do saturday, then pick up a bike in grand rapids (for my friend, not for me... i can't fit anymore in the house/garage) then take off... but the weather forecast kept improving, so I decided to stay the night and decide in the morning... well, it was ALL clouds, and the weather forecast went to hell over night, and I was just about ready to leave without signing up when the forecast went from 60% rain to 66 degrees and partly cloudy. Hallelujah, I stayed, and just before the first session started, the sun was out in full force. The rest of the day was amazing and grattan in CCW is also a blast. I even managed to do my first accidental wheelie on the hump. I don't see why everyone loves doing wheelies, it was just scary and doesn't make you go any faster. lol

all in all, it just reaffirmed my deep seated love of grattan. the repave is fantastic.... I think the surface is better than midohio now to be honest.

My laptimer was being a turd as well... The surface was great, although dragging knee felt very weird.. I thought my puck fell off one time.. lol

Yeah, I could have sworn I was dragging my leathers on the ground, it was that smooth. Craziness. Oh, and it was very easy on tires too! the Q2s I had on (it had a couple days on it already) hardly had wear on it even after sunday. Though, that probably only confirms I was riding like a little wuss.

Yeah, I could have sworn I was dragging my leathers on the ground, it was that smooth. Craziness. Oh, and it was very easy on tires too! the Q2s I had on (it had a couple days on it already) hardly had wear on it even after sunday. Though, that probably only confirms I was riding like a little wuss.

:D Funny you say that.. I think I gained tire life from riding them.. Mine were chewed up from Jennings, and now they are like new again :p.

Knapp was on the BMW 1000rr Riders Discount Bike

A good time indeed. My first track day of the year. Grattan was where I popped my track cherry a few years ago so it's always got a special place in my heart. To be honest, I've always struggled on that track. I ride an R1 and bought it before I did my first track day so I've struggled. I know it goes against everything they say about a 600 is the better tool, especially on a track like Grattan. It'll improve my riding quicker and all that...but can't really afford a dedicated track bike and I don't want to trade her either.

Day one was a roller coaster ride for me in the I group. I was the stupid one who gets to claim the first red flag. :o I setup the Bustop turn to wide and didn't trust my tires. So I decided to commune with nature and just take a cruise in the grass. Although the brochure lied and it was actually marsh land. I kept it up for about 40 yards or so with the bike slipping all over the place. Then got about 10 feet from track I looked back to see if the track was clear and then decided to see if I could do a 180 and give my baby a rest on her side. :(

After that I struggled most of the morning.

By the last two sessions I got back in the groove and got all the new reference points figured out. Started laying down pucks instead of the bike in a few turns. Started to brake later and take turns 1, 2, 5 and 7 quicker. A great way to end the day.:)

Day two I had to relearn the track all over again and couldn't figure out what gears I needed to be in. The blind turns do seem a bit more scary to me going CCW! started to get the groove again.

THen I hit neutral going into the bustop (now my least favorite corner) so did a little more off-roading again, but got back on right away. :eek:

This day ended early for me though. Somthing is fubar'd with my shifter. I cant get it to shift into 4th, 5th or 6th gear and it's bitch to get out of nuetral. I'm gonna have to look over my bike real good. ANy siggestions on what to look at would be good would be welcomed. I assume it is somthing that is not engaging the transmission. :confused:

Regardless, a great weekend. Best improvements for me personally, but always humbling when I become a sandwich and get passed by two people on either side of me...going into a turn...good times... :bow:

Anyway, it was good seeing my friends from Michigan, Good seeing Jinu and talking to him throughout the weekend. From our camping spot I watched him pick off people in the A group one-by-one. Pretty impressive. :bow:

Now got to get my bike sorted out and plan the next track day! HOOT!

i had a good time hanging out with you guys too! sorry i couldnt make it to dinner... i would've felt really bad if my friend's shiny newish bike got stolen right off the trailer cause i was too lazy to put the bike somewhere "safe". i ended up getting qdoba and then i watched movies with a big greek dude with an affinity for homoerotic jokes on his giant ass notebook computer. thankfully, the movie was about natalie portman lezzin' out with mila kunis and some fruity dancing in between. mila kunis would be WAY hotter if i could stop thinking "Shut up, Meg" every time she opened her purty mouth.

word of advice: if you are fussy sleeper, don't try to sleep on the fold down back seat of a Chevy Silverado 1500. I usually sleep like a fucking rock everywhere/anywhere for no reason at all, but for some reason, when I got there friday night, I just had a really hard time getting to sleep in the truck. The backseat is very firm, yet, lumpy (lol). actually, probably nobody needs this advice since it is an obviously bad idear, but fuck it. that's the price you pay for being a cheap bastard.

Haha I could never do such a thing. I stole a truck for the trip cause I had to pick up a bike for my friend while I was out there, and I wanted to have a contingency plan in case my pos trailer failed me.