Buell 1125R/CR

modular

I have found a great deal on a left over new Buell '09 1125CR or R at a dealer in Michigan. I have heard of charging/electrical issues with these that is corrected by a recall. Any other issues? I read through some on the big Buell site but the electrical issue seems to be the recurring issue. Anyone here have experience with this bike??

the stator "fix" from harley doesn't work. People have either swapped to the 08 stators or to mosfet rectifiers.

Since it is a rotax powered motor look at the aprillia sites they are dealing with the same issues

I am not sure how "great" that deal is, I got my 08 new during the fire sale for $5400 out the door (tax, plate fees, blah blah) so use that as a reference

i actually never had a problem with my charging system, but I do know it's a well known issue.

I got mine for about what Shitty got his for (I think we bought it at the same place possibly). I got a 1125CR, red, and those homos made me ring the bell after I signed the papers for it. I threw up and took a shower afterwards. But the bike was awesome.

Out of the box, there are a few recurring issues on these, but they are easily corrected at no charge, under warranty...

--ECM - have the dealer flash the most current version, it just runs better. Then just buy the Erik Buell Racing ECM, because it runs WAY better.

--Low Fuel Light falsely illuminates during cold weather---fixed by an Instrument Cluster with updated firmware (dealers can't update the firmware, so they'll order a new cluster).

--Clutch covers may leak a few drops of oil--updated seal fixes it.

--The charging system may still be an issue. A lot of stators burned up, so HD issued an updated charging harness. The jury is still out on this 'fix.' It prolongs stator life, but volts tend to be a lower than before the 'fix.' The culprit seems to be a POS voltage regulator that has 'Ducati' stamped on it, it doesn't seem to be able to handle the voltage. Some owners have had good luck with aftermarket voltage regulators or having stators rewound.

I have about 9k on my 1125R. It's a very good bike that I will not be getting rid of anytime soon. I have had charging issues, but it's never left me on the side of the road. If I have any other charging issues, I'll go the route of the aftermarket VR. It's a pretty simple install.

Just flipped over 12K miles on my 09 CR. I have had the following issues:

Had the wiring harness recall done at 4.5K

at 7.5K Stator died and was replaced under warranty and at the same time the seal was replaced to fix the clutch weep issue.

I have seen the fuel light issue a couple of times, both times it was less than 25 degrees out. I have ridden many other cold days and not seen the issue.

On the rare occasions where the bike sites for more than a couple of weeks I put it on a charger. It will drain the battery if you leave it sitting for a long time.

Another thing to consider; the bike gets very hot is the summer, even with riding pants on the Aluminum frame can get hot enough to be very uncomfortable when you touch it.

I do love riding the bike and have no intensions of selling it anytime soon. Plus you just don’t see many of these bikes on the road since they didn’t make a lot of them.

Shad

Just flipped over 12K miles on my 09 CR. I have had the following issues:

Had the wiring harness recall done at 4.5K

at 7.5K Stator died and was replaced under warranty and at the same time the seal was replaced to fix the clutch weep issue.

I have seen the fuel light issue a couple of times, both times it was less than 25 degrees out. I have ridden many other cold days and not seen the issue.

On the rare occasions where the bike sites for more than a couple of weeks I put it on a charger. It will drain the battery if you leave it sitting for a long time.

Another thing to consider; the bike gets very hot is the summer, even with riding pants on the Aluminum frame can get hot enough to be very uncomfortable when you touch it.

I do love riding the bike and have no intensions of selling it anytime soon. Plus you just don’t see many of these bikes on the road since they didn’t make a lot of them.

Shad

put on the EBR ecu and the bike will run cooler

Shad

That is not typical on the 09s. I'd get it fixed while you still have a warranty. If you haven't already, get the instrument cluster replaced. It'll fix the Low Fuel Light too.

put on the EBR ecu and the bike will run cooler

This.

I will probably have them replace the instrument cluster when I have the valves adjusted in the next few weeks. My dealer has been good about ordering parts in advance so when I bring the bike up they can fix it quickly.

I just want to clarify my battery situation. If the bike sits for three weeks or so the battery is under 12 volts. It will still start, but I like to have it a close to full charge just in case. And since I am constantly charging cars and an RV it is just one more thing that I have to put on a charger. :D

Shad

the stator "fix" from harley doesn't work. People have either swapped to the 08 stators or to mosfet rectifiers.

Since it is a rotax powered motor look at the aprillia sites they are dealing with the same issues

I am not sure how "great" that deal is, I got my 08 new during the fire sale for $5400 out the door (tax, plate fees, blah blah) so use that as a reference

Pretty good deal for a new bike. But damn, all of the problems and recalls will make the owner think otherwise.

Sat on them at the bikeshow and wasn't completely impress. All I can say is the Eric does have passion for his craft.