fz1 questions

oldschoolsdime92

I have never ridden one of the carbed fz1's, but for touring a lot of people say that those were the better model. For one, the carbed fz1's I believe got better mileage and I know had a bigger fuel tank (my fuel light comes on at around 140-150 miles), thus allowing them to go farther between stops. Also it seems like the ergos were more leaned toward the touring part of the spectrum on the carbed fz1. There is a wealth of knowledge available on these bikes at http://www.fz1-forum.com/forum/ and http://www.yamahafz1oa.com. I would say the newer fuel injected bikes are stil la great all around bike, just leaned a little bit more toward the sport side of the ST segment. Regardless there is a huge aftermarket for them to customize them to your liking (hard baggage, upgraded suspensions, seats, etc.). If you have any questions specifically related to the newer fz1's I would be glad to answer them. I actually was looking at fz6's when I came across a deal on mine that I couldn't pass up, the 6 is an awesome bike too(better on fuel) if you don't have the need for a 1000.

I have a first gen FZ1 and love it. I use mine to tour and its great. 200 miles for fillups on the highway, around 170 flogging it. I changed the riders position on mine. It is much sportier now. The biggest upgrade is fixing the stock suspension. I went Ohlins out back and springs and oil up front. Also the Ivan's jet kit really fixes the bike and wakes it up a bit with the addition of a slipon.

I use soft saddle bags and a JC Whitney top case on a rack from twisted throttle. Plenty of space for a week on the road with a dry bag on the passenger seat.

Also to note, the first gen FZ1 and first gen (98-00) R1 have the same motor. Only difference is the side draft carbs on the FZ1 vs the down draft on the R1.

My only issue is the measly alternator output. Running GPS, heated grips and heated vest really taxes the charging system. Bike doesn't charge the battery unless the motor is spinning over 5k.

Any thing else, I'll be glad to help on the first gen.

Go 2nd gen. You wont regret it.

I have done the Ivans FCE (a must do for a 2006) and had my stock seat redone by Greatdaytoride and got rid of the OEM Dunflops. I'm very happy with it. It has more power and handles better than any bike I've ever ridden, and is all day comfortable. The first gen seems to have had some serious vibration issues.

BTW, if anyone wants a Corbin leather riders seat, I have one to sell.

The first gen does vibe, or did vibe in my case. In stock form it vibes bad at 5500 rpm in 6th gear, right at cruising speed. Ivan's jet kit cured it for me and a bunch of others. I also got rid of the stock bar and went with a renthal streetfighter bend. Been great since then.

I do like the second gen and wouldn't mind one, but in riding both, the first gen makes super long hauls easier and that's what mine is for. For sticking around Ohio, the second gen would be fantastic.

What year did they switch to fuel injection? I am really thinking about trading my sprint for one.

Out of curiousity, what do you think the FZ1 will do better than the Sprint?

Or is it just time for something else? I compulsively buy and sell bikes, so I totally get that :)

I've had a couple of gen 1 FZ1's....One of my favorite bike ever. I've put a ton of miles on gen 1 FZ1's many 500+ mile days in WV, a few trips to the gap. The ergo's on the Sprint are a little more aggressive than a gen 1 FZ1. Before I bought the Versys, I thought you needed 10+ HP, but like Pauly,I soon figured out it's overkil. The Versys hasplenty of power for anything that I do, including highway miles on trips to the gap.