I hate electrical problems!!!!

Ziggy

I've got a 2002 HD Sportster 883 Hugger with a 1200 conversion, Buell thunderstorm heads, S&S adjustable pushrods, Crane Hi4 ignition, Mikuni 48mm carb, and a few other mods. The issue I'm having is that I keep blowing my ignition fuse. According to the service manual, all 4 fuses in the fuse block should be 15 amp fuses. At some point, the previous owner replaced the ignition fuse with a 30 amp fuse. It is the 30 amp fuse that keeps blowing.

Now, what I don't know is whether the addition of the Crane Hi4 module would require a higher amperage fuse, or did the PO pop a larger fuse in there to mask another problem?

This bike runs great when it runs, but the last two times I've taken it out, it's come home on a truck.

The PO was working on making a bobber out of it, removing a bunch of stuff and cutting harnesses in the process. I have no speedometer, tach, idiot lights, or turn signals. The handle bars have been swapped for drag bars with internal wiring. I've checked the right side hand controls, all the wires look good from the switches down to the headlight bucket.

I don't want to take it to the dealership, but I'm running out of ideas. I have a local indy dealer up the road that I'll probably talk to first. Any one know anything about B.A.R. Customs?

I doubt any of the fuses should have been changed from 15amp to 30amp.

Although 15amp does sound low for a main ignition fuse?

The one that keeps blowing out has either a short in that circuit, or an excessive load on it.

It needs to be tracked down and fixed. Really can't say where it would be.

But actual physical damage to any of the wiring or connectors would be the first thing to look for.

Ill bet a wire is stripped and shorting out in the bars.. hack internal wiring always causes trouble

or somewhere else on the frame. my neighbor and i had to chase a similar issue on his soft tail and it was a nightmare.

Ill bet a wire is stripped and shorting out in the bars.. hack internal wiring always causes trouble

I absolutely agree, Been there done that last year I did internal wiring and I had a short in the bars and over the winter I yanked it all out and put the wires out side the bars just for this reason,

But for the question at hand find a wiring diagram and start tracing the wires and good luck,wiring can be a bitch........

Get a wiring diagram. trace out the wiring on the line with the fuse. then isolate that wiring use a meter and look for shorts to ground on the power wiring. once you find the line with the short it should be easy to find the short. look for wire damage, burnt or overheated wiring or connectors. keep using the meter to further isolate the short. if you need more help with meter readings and such pm me with a phone #. you may have a bad component as long as you isolate the wiring you should be able to find it

Nick

I absolutely agree, Been there done that last year I did internal wiring and I had a short in the bars and over the winter I yanked it all out and put the wires out side the bars just for this reason,

But for the question at hand find a wiring diagram and start tracing the wires and good luck,wiring can be a bitch........

Get some wiring harness connectors online and roll your own. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MSD-Ignition-8186-Deutsch-Connector/dp/B00063036M

or this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8181/10002/-1?CT=999

would do beautifully, depending on how many wire pairs you have going to the bars. Redo the in-bar wiring (using new wire if possible), tape it all in place (so it's not brummin' around in there) and fish it through. Terminate ends, attach connector, then rinse and repeat for the other end.

Can't he just make another one from bailing twine and coat hangers?

I don't see why not, those were the OEM materials...

Spent some time opening up my wire harnesses, opened and inspected all of the wires from the right side hand control, down to the headlamp bucket, and all the way through the main harness back to the rear wheel. I found a tiny little nick in one of the starter relay wires. I wrapped it up, put everything back together, and took it for a ride last night. So far, so good... If this crap weather will ever go away, I'll take it out a little longer and farther than I did last night, and see what happens.

Well, I think I've resolved my electrical gremlins. Had the bike out for a couple of hours on Saturday, then got out and rode with Jolly Mon and Jamez for a couple of hours yesterday. The bike ran great, never even stumbled the whole time we were out. Had a good time and got to see some roads that I hadn't ridden before. Warren County has some pretty neat and fun roads to ride!

Well, I think I've resolved my electrical gremlins. Had the bike out for a couple of hours on Saturday, then got out and rode with Jolly Mon and Jamez for a couple of hours yesterday. The bike ran great, never even stumbled the whole time we were out. Had a good time and got to see some roads that I hadn't ridden before. Warren County has some pretty neat and fun roads to ride!

Excellent!

Or, you missed it, and just pushed all the wiring around so it's not happening anymore.

Either way, it's now working. And you have a decent idea where to look if it happens again.

It is difficult to find wiring shorts. If you meter it, you can't move the wiring much till it's found.

And that's the main reason people hate looking for the problem.