CSCC/ college help

rawlins87

Any advise to a new student? I just took my placement tests so while I'm typing this I'm waiting to talk to an advisor.

I assume morning classes are better to schedule?

Any helpful advise with cscx in general...

I'm trying to work full time and school full time. (My work has already ok'd the change for me to go part time if need be)

Would you take classes on Friday and have Friday off work? (My thinking)

Scout out your route to class before the first day. Cscc is down town and you will get into traffic so be prepared. Don't over load yourself your first quarter. Online classes can be your best friend. Office hours can be very usefull. buying booked used can be a god send on your bank account.

do not do morning classes if you can avoid it....try to take evening classes.

you dont realize it now because its summer quarter, but once fall/winter/spring hit that place is a mad house....i had a 10am class one day and spent 1.5hrs trying to park, got rear-ended, got pissed and went home....i used to head there at 8am just to have a prayer at finding a spot for my 10am class....that includes every parking lot, garage, etc that they have anywhere near that place

i hate that school soooo much because of how crowded it is...i am so happy to be out of there

you dont realize it now because its summer quarter, but once fall/winter/spring hit that place is a mad house....i had a 10am class one day and spent 1.5hrs trying to park, got rear-ended, got pissed and went home....i used to head there at 8am just to have a prayer at finding a spot for my 10am class....that includes every parking lot, garage, etc that they have anywhere near that place

i hate that school soooo much because of how crowded it is...i am so happy to be out of there

All of that. Try to take classes at the other locations or online. Other than that classes are not to hard and its dirt cheap.

Its "2 years" but if you get your pre reqs done sooner you can cut ahead of others who dont. Rumors in my facility are saying the columbus hospitals are only hiring RN with bachelor degrees (don't know how true it us). I would check chamberlain out. You can get a bachelors in nursing in 3 years but your going to pay for it but no wait. There are plenty if online CC offering it. Rio grande does and theres more actually a lot in Columbus.

+4 million for max's statement.

Edited by Mykill

buying used is a good way for some books like ones you may need as reference later in life, like my engineering books. i didnt even know you could rent them, but theres a place online thats a branch of ebay thats super cheap. i got my book that costs 200 for about 30 shipped.

as far as cscc you need t be there at 7:30 for parking, thats how i beat the rush.

unless you are highly self-motivated i would stay away from online courses, at least for your first couple quarters. gen3 is correct about buying used books. if i had bought all my books new in the 4 years i was in school, it would have easily added on an extra $5,000.00 to my student loans.

as for parking... you have a bike right? i mean you are on this website. scout around the campus for a parking gray area where you can wedge your bike into a corner or hide it behind a row of bushes or something. the town i went to school in was a huge tourist trap therefor parking was always a big problem. my lovely SV got me through my last 2 years parking-problem free.

I went to CSCC and got my degree while working full time. It can be done, Morning classes while working will work if they are early then you can always go into work a little later but it cuts into your hours. I did a lot of my classes in the evening after 4 or 5. Don't schedule them too late or you will burn the candel at both ends. Give your self enough time to study and rest also. No classes on friday really does help out a lot but just remember scheduling one class around another at same times may result in you having to take a class on friday. You know never know how that is going to workout for you. The advisors are very helpfull with getting you started off. If you already know what you are going to get your degree in my advice is to find an advisor that is a teacher in your field. They will help you get done with your degree and have the most understanding of class and work than anyone. My advisor was my teacher and the head of the construction department so it helped out a lot. Your can always changee advisors if you need to.