Titanium Exhaust + burning lower = Need suggestions

APCh8r

For those of you that have titanium full systems, what do you do to control the exhaust from burning your lowers. I am having trouble with the headers/mid pipe burning my lower in a couple of sections, and with getting new bodywork I don't want this to occur with the new set. I have looked at trying to use exhaust wrap and some of the thermo shield / adhesive heat barriers but all of them say NOT for use with titanium exhausts. So if anyone has any insight on the best product to go about getting to resolve this issue.

Thanks

what do you do to control the exhaust from burning your lowers?

Don't use header wrap on the Ti pipes. Use adhesive thermo tape on the inside of the bodywork. (OReilley Auto or Napa or Advance auto) Two or three layers will protect bodywork from heat from direct contact with the headers.

I did it for my 750 that was using 1000's headers. They touched the stock plastic and the 3 layers of thermo tape kept them from melting or discoloring.

For those of you that have titanium full systems, what do you do to control the exhaust from burning your lowers. I am having trouble with the headers/mid pipe burning my lower in a couple of sections, and with getting new bodywork I don't want this to occur with the new set. I have looked at trying to use exhaust wrap and some of the thermo shield / adhesive heat barriers but all of them say NOT for use with titanium exhausts. So if anyone has any insight on the best product to go about getting to resolve this issue.

Thanks

dont wrap the titanium. You can put heat shield on the bodywork though

if you're coming to Nelson this weekend, I have leftover heat tape from insulating my coolant reservoir. Cost me $15, and I probably used about 18" out of 20'

I had the same problem with the titanium headers, just not on my bodywork (yet). Depending on how clean/smooth the inside of your bodywork is, you may want to consider using some kind of high-temp glue or goop to hold the adhesive tape down though. Silicone might work best, due to the heat involved.

if you're coming to Nelson this weekend, I have leftover heat tape from insulating my coolant reservoir. Cost me $15, and I probably used about 18" out of 20'

I had the same problem with the titanium headers, just not on my bodywork (yet). Depending on how clean/smooth the inside of your bodywork is, you may want to consider using some kind of high-temp glue or goop to hold the adhesive tape down though. Silicone might work best, due to the heat involved.

Nope won't be at Nelson until the may event, got midterms this week and next

that's not stopping me! Final on Wednesday of next week, and then 2 more on the monday and tuesday thereafter :p

I am not in undergrad, so I actually have to study:D

I have two tomorrow, one on friday, we have Kidsfest event all weekend, one on monday, and another next thursday with synthesis and research in between things

I think chris is in law school lol

yeah, but i'm part-time so I only have 3 finals ...which equals about the same amount of work as 5 grad class :D

Rk can I bum some off you this weekend? I already had to glass the hole that burned mine.

I'll try to throw it in the tool box tonight so I don't forget!

I had the same problem on my zx10. I went and bought thermo shield stuff from jegs. I put 2 or 3 layers on the inside of my body work. Both on street fairings and race fairings. Solved my problem. No more melting or discoloring. On the right side, the header was in direct contact with the thermo shield 24/7. The stuff never came off the inside of my body work.

I highly recomend this to keep your body work looking good

I had the same problem on my zx10. I went and bought thermo shield stuff from jegs. I put 2 or 3 layers on the inside of my body work. Both on street fairings and race fairings. Solved my problem. No more melting or discoloring. On the right side, the header was in direct contact with the thermo shield 24/7. The stuff never came off the inside of my body work.

I highly recomend this to keep your body work looking good

How much did it cost you and how many did you have to buy in order to do 2-3 layers?

How much did it cost you and how many did you have to buy in order to do 2-3 layers?

I don't remember how much it was. I wanna say the price varies on how much of the stuff you buy. I did strips of it on my body work, maybe like 3" by 6" then did a couple layers. I wanna say you can buy a sheet of it. Something like a 12" by 24" sheet...not exactly sure..check out jegs website then find something similiar