F'in snakes.... blah!

Beegreenstrings

Most dangerous snake ive encountered was a water moccasin down in portsmouth. i was prolly like 10 or so and was minnow fishin with a bucket, boy did i drop that bucket and run like hell.

Was probably just a nothern water snake very unlikely it was a water moccasin in Ohio

I hate 'em too, but I leave the non-poisonous ones around. They eat other bad stuff.

A couple years ago I opened my garage door to get the bike out, and I saw something drop out of the rafters. I almost didn't see it; it was a brown snake, and he was intertwined in my air compressor hose... almost blended right in.

I'm with you snakes are evil I hate them all. My wife didn't understand how bad I hate until we went camping in Indiana and there was a snake 1,000 ft from our campsite. I was going to pack up and leave she took a hammer and killed it. Now a friend of ours told her some stories about water mocassins now she dislikes snakes.

Water moccasins (cottonmouth) are pretty rare in Ohio since they theoretically don't have a territory established here, and prefer a warmer climate. But occasionally found, and I'll guess found near railroad bridges, where they fall off of trains or something. Usually found no closer than the Indiana-Illinois-Kentucky border, along the Ohio river.

edit: water moccasins are not a treat when encountered. They are aggressive and can deliberately attack or chase people.

Timber rattlesnakes have an established territory in Northern Ohio and are a protected species there. There is also the Eastern Massauga Rattlesnake in Ohio. The third poisonous Ohio snake is the Northern Copperhead.

Northern Copperhead

Eastern Massauga

Timber Rattlesnake

The scary thing is they have been finding that more and more rattlesnakes do not give a warning rattle and they are thinking it is due to humans killing them after hearing the rattle and the snakes are some how learning to not rattle

Sounds like you are the vicious killer here. Snakes do a pretty good job of reducing pest problems and do not usually cause any problems.

I don't understand some of the phobias people have. In the US you are more likely to be killed by lightning than a snake, in Ohio much more, so given we have few poisonous snakes.

Let him live, he'll eat a few mice and rats and you probably won't see him again.

Craig

Sounds like you are the vicious killer here.

YES I am. and picked up some cci bird shot for the single six tonight so I can be even more of one...

My fiance hates me for it. She used to work for the div of wildlife. She cant stand it.

I shot one at a bow shoot one day. Someone made a bet that I could not do it. One was coming down out of a tree at the half way point, The owner gave me a arrow and told me not to miss. I shot him right behind the head on the move. Those people looked at me and I just laughed. My fiance just looked at the owner and was like go figure.

Humans are FAR more deadly than any snake that I have run into. Give a homo sapien a car and a cell-phone and that combo is more dangerous than the occasional black ratsnake encounter that you might have in Ohio. Props for almost shitting your pants over a harmless, beneficial reptile.