Does Everyone Know the difference full coverage vs fool's coverage

castellilaw

Do you carry underinsured coverage in more than the minimum  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry underinsured coverage in more than the minimum

• yes
    • no

The bottom line is make sure you have at least $100,000.00 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you carry minimum limits ($12,500) you won't get compensated if the person that crash's you has minimum limits.

The bottom line is make sure you have at least $100,000.00 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you carry minimum limits ($12,500) you won't get compensated if the person that crash's you has minimum limits.

no thanks, liability only...

insurance is the biggest scam running.

• Upvote 1

Once again why is everyone jumping onto one of our sponsors? Tony is only trying to provide sound advice for our benefit. If you had a bad experience with an insurance company sorry for your experience. However many people, myself included have had beneficial claims that have gone above and beyond my expectations on top of my fiancee having the coverage that saved her from having to buy a new car when someone hit her without enough coverage.

If you need more than 12,500 in bodily injury coverage for an accident odds are you got more issues than subrogation.

I carry 100/300 only because lienholder requires it, otherwise I'd be fine with 50/100 tops

Once again why is everyone jumping onto one of our sponsors? Tony is only trying to provide sound advice for our benefit...

:plus1:

Jumping all over his grammar, when he's trying to be helpful, is not cool. :nono:

\ If you carry minimum limits ($12,500) you won't get compensated if the person that crash's you has minimum limits.

explain further please. how do my limits affect what the at-fault driver's insurance does?

I think it has to do with how claims are processed then subrogated.

Your insurance will pay you up to your max policy, then go after the 'at-fault' party. Then again, I don't really know the ins-and-outs how much your own insurance will front before they figure out the other goofball is only paying for minimum coverage.

Kinda defeats the purpose of insurance people selling you un-/under-insured coverage in addition to your own policy. So I dunno :dunno:

fact! insurance companies are not out to help their customers, they are out to increase profits by denying claims...

That is not a fact, that is your perception. There is a big difference.

I have had a handful of accidents over the years, some my fault and some not. Not once have I ever had a claim denied or repairs skimped on because of lack of payment. Also, I worked in a body shop for years and we had great relationships with insurance companies and they were great about paying for repairs. Yes, they are in the business to make money, but profit is not a dirty word.

I think it has to do with how claims are processed then subrogated.

Your insurance will pay you up to your max policy, then go after the 'at-fault' party. Then again, I don't really know the ins-and-outs how much your own insurance will front before they figure out the other goofball is only paying for minimum coverage.

Kinda defeats the purpose of insurance people selling you un-/under-insured coverage in addition to your own policy. So I dunno :dunno:

but my limit is for when i am liable.

OP said if i have minimum limits, then i will not get compensated if the person who crashes me (i.e. they are liable) has min. limits.

if they are at fault then they are liable. so their insurance should pay out up to their max... i dont get what MY insurance has to do with it.

i mean, hell, i could have NO insurance, but if you hit me (you are at fault), your insurance is still going to have to pay up to the limit.

now, if I rear end YOU and dont have insurance, thats when the subrogation will come in. your insurance will pay your loss and then sue me to make that money back.

Edited by John

How I understand it...assuming they are the 'at fault' party:

Their max might not be enough to cover ALL your damages, so if the accident cost $100k total between damage, medical, etc, and their 12.5k/25k policy comes up short, then the difference has to be made up out of your insurance policy.

Your insurance forks over cash up to YOUR limits, and then they sue the other party for the difference. The whole reason why some people get expensive coverages is because they have more to lose. Ie. if you have a nice $450k home, some cars, some bikes, $1M net worth and you roll around with minimum coverage and royally injure someone (like a motorcyclist), then that max. liability will run out REAL quick and then you're in civil court getting sued by the guy you hit AND his insurance company to recoup their costs -- they'll go for your home, cars, bikes, etc.

Now in the real world, people that have min. coverage often don't have a lot to lose... and since "you can't squeeze blood from a turnip"... :dunno:.

That's what he means when he says "you're not covered" because the schmuck that hit you is a low net worth individual who's insurance and assets combined won't pay for your losses. Additional insurance on YOUR end will protect yourself.

Edited by JRMMiii

Now in the real world, people that have min. coverage often don't have a lot to lose... and since "you can't squeeze blood from a turnip"... :dunno:.

That's what he means when he says "you're not covered" because the schmuck that hit you is a low net worth individual who's insurance and assets combined won't pay for your losses. Additional insurance on YOUR end will protect yourself.

True story. Got run over from behind a few years ago. Driver had Safe Auto minimum insurance. Can't sue someone for what they don't have. Well, you CAN, but it will end up costing YOU more than the other party.

i mean, hell, i could have NO insurance, but if you hit me (you are at fault), your insurance is still going to have to pay up to the limit.

Don't be so sure my dad rear ended a car years ago that had no insurance they were at fault because they didn't have insurance and were required to pay, now it may depend on the state.

Nope therefore you are operating a vehicle illegally and it is your fault no matter what.