Fractal Antenna

jhaag

so, i work in a woodshop and we have a small stereo. it gets shitty reception and we always have to move the antenna around and the reception always changes because there is a trucking company in the same building and their cb's mess with the reception. it sucks.

well, a few weeks ago i watched a video from pbs, i think, about patterns in nature called Fractals and how these patterns are found in everything. pretty interesting stuff. there was a scientist on there who had a problem with the reception in his apartment. so, he fashioned his wire into a fractal pattern and it drastically improved his reception because, iirc, fractal patterns can be found in radio waves and it aligns better with the waves because of that....anyway. i've been intending to make one and finally did today.

it actually worked really well! kind of surprised me that it made that much of a difference.

picture.php?albumid=1108&pictureid=13743

oh ok...i thought everything was digital now and you didnt need antennas, but ive never been without cable so :confused:

Some of the local air HD is repeated on cable, but I'm not sure if it's all of them or not. The digital tuner on the Sony has a separate set of tunings for the air waves, but I've never bothered to get an antenna. Just curious...

I've made antennas before, if done right, they work very well.

Some of the local air HD is repeated on cable, but I'm not sure if it's all of them or not. The digital tuner on the Sony has a separate set of tunings for the air waves, but I've never bothered to get an antenna. Just curious...

I've made antennas before, if done right, they work very well.

i too only have free tv. my friend just gave me a powered antenna and it works much better than the bunny ears i had. not sure about internal fractal patterns, though.

here is a video about them Hunting the Hidden Dimension.

the pattern i used is pretty basic, so i dont know if you would get better results with a more complex pattern or not. i also made it in about 15 mins before the boss caught me lol.

let us know how it turns out.