Richlands Furnace still kickin??

Helmutt

Don't know how many of you trailride in the Chilicothe area but was wondering if the trails were still open? Haven't heard anything different or researched it to know, but I'm about halfway through my resto project on my old 96'er and will be ready to roost my buddies again this summer.

Last time down there was 3 seasons ago and it was a mudpit as it had rained the entire day before, and the day of going........but since we'd planned the trip, we went anyway and it sucked -- couldn't ride hard, the main trails were all rutted out pretty bad so we rarely left 2nd gear - but that's where I blew the trans in my old beater so wanted to get her back together and through the break-in before heading that way - just curious if it's still open to the public and still free to ride...

Maybe by the time I'm done putting her back together it will be dried out......fun place to burn fuel but it's a good 2 hour haul for me to get there -- way better than anything local to me and about as far as Haspin, just a lot less drunks to worry about;)

If you mean the Richland Furnace ORV area off twp hwy 195 yes, but if you mean the area south of there with the awsome trails, hills, rail road tracks and tunnels, no. The dirt road entering the area was torn up, turned into a walking path, and gated. Really too bad but the four wheelers and pickup trucks made it into a trash pit with beer cans everywhere so that locals forced it to be made a no motorized vehicle area.

Richland Furnace ORV is not free however, it requires plates or ORV sticker just like Perry. It is not very challenging and I could ride it on my V-strom. You might consider Pike orv area if you want someplace a bit larger and more fun. You still have to stay on the trails but they are a bit more fun the Richland ORV.

Richland:

http://ohiodnr.com/DNN/forests/richlandfurnace/tabid/5163/Default.aspx

Pike:

www.ohiodnr.com/DNN/forests/pike/tabid/5162/Default.aspx

Edited by buildit

It was south of ORV, damn that figures - seemed like it could've been a lot more fun if it wasn't a mudhole that day and I hadn't blown my CR.

There's a couple small local tracks near me but not as much fun as Kenworthy's MX park south of Troy used to be......which was up for sale last I heard if anyone's got an extra $1.2 mil laying around - only downfall ( other than the price ) is AMA won't renew the tracks license to add it back into the MX circuit. Flooding screwed that place right out of business thanks to the river and shitty levys. Sucks too, met all my fav pro riders there since Rick Johnson all the way up to Ricky Carmichael's rookie lites season - most all my teen years were spent there.....wish I'd hit the flippin lotto already - I'd buy it!

Edited by Hellmutt

Yeah, I only got to ride it two years before it got closed down. Western Ohio really is a void for off roading. I guess I've just come to accept it is 75 miles one way for me to play off road.