Sharing some new pics of my fish tank

chevysoldier

I know there are a couple of fish keepers on here so I thought I'd share. I just added 3 more Tiger Barbs and 2 Albino Bristlenose Plecostomus giving me 6 Barbs, 4 Albino Cory Cats and 2 BN Plecos. I also added a piece of Mopani driftwood, the tall tree trunk and the bell. The tank is a lot more crowded now but the fish seem to enjoy it more. With having more fish, I wanted to make sure they had places to get away.

This is how it was first set up:

mrg229.jpg

Then it went to this:

6q8glx.jpg

New set up:

o9oj6b.jpg

One of my Cories:

2a5bv9y.jpg

The driftwood and bell:

2m9xza.jpg

The tree trunk in the rear:

1e9bva.jpg

One of the plecos.

2ci8thg.jpg

A bunch of the fish fighting over an algae wafer:

2vv8jlf.jpg

Edited by chevysoldier

nice. I'm working on getting some plants in my tank... I just hate how the plastic ones look... so I try to buy the cloth ones but they're expensive... the fish don't seem to care though. :)

Do you have a background up or is that the lighting?

nice. I'm working on getting some plants in my tank... I just hate how the plastic ones look... so I try to buy the cloth ones but they're expensive... the fish don't seem to care though. :)

Do you have a background up or is that the lighting?

I had tried real plants but I think the tank was too deep for the light or something else. They didn't survive.

The background is just black poster board form walmart.

where do you get your plants? I can't tell whether they're cloth or plastic. :)

I juuuust got a light for my aquarium and my plants are finally really surviving. My fish are breeding like crazy too, so if you happen to ever want angels, let me know!

where do you get your plants? I can't tell whether they're cloth or plastic. :)

I juuuust got a light for my aquarium and my plants are finally really surviving. My fish are breeding like crazy too, so if you happen to ever want angels, let me know!

I think I got them all at Jacks Aquarium at Easton. They are a mixture of plastic and cloth, they don't look too bad. Hopefully the plecos keep the algae off of them.

I replaced by bulbs the other day. They were old and I think the color spectrum was out of wack.

If I ever get my other tank up, I might take you up on the angels. Can't put them in this tank, the tiger barbs will chew the hell outta their fins. lol

Edit: Got some of them from Jacks, the others from Petsmart in Pickerington.

The only fish that seems to live forever is my pleco he is going on 5 years I have had him. He is almost 7 inches long now has nice spines on his body and back. the fancy gold fish have been around for over a year now and seem to be going strong. mine needs a background as it is clear and boring. the tank is a 30 gal fresh water.

The only fish that seems to live forever is my pleco he is going on 5 years I have had him. He is almost 7 inches long now has nice spines on his body and back. the fancy gold fish have been around for over a year now and seem to be going strong. mine needs a background as it is clear and boring. the tank is a 30 gal fresh water.

These albino plecos only get to be about 4" or so. There are some plecos that get like 18", a little big for my tank.

As for a background, like I said I just got posterboard from walmart and taped it on the back. Cheap and easy.

Nice tank. We just got our son a small 5 gallon starter tank kit for Easter. He has 4 small gold fish and a Pleco in it right now. For some reason I'm having a hard time keeping the water clear and it's pissing me off.... I do partial water changes every few days, but it doesn't seem to help much. (I'm new to fish so I might be overfeeding them).

Nice tank. We just got our son a small 5 gallon starter tank kit for Easter. He has 4 small gold fish and a Pleco in it right now. For some reason I'm having a hard time keeping the water clear and it's pissing me off.... I do partial water changes every few days, but it doesn't seem to help much. (I'm new to fish so I might be overfeeding them).

That's way too small of a tank for goldfish. Should really be 5-10 gallons per goldfish. They are really dirty fish and the food is dirty too. Get a bigger tank or get rid of all but one goldie. I had a 10 gallon with 4 goldies before I knew any better and I lost them all. Water got dirty and high amounts of ammonia.

That's way too small of a tank for goldfish. Should really be 5-10 gallons per goldfish. They are really dirty fish and the food is dirty too. Get a bigger tank or get rid of all but one goldie. I had a 10 gallon with 4 goldies before I knew any better and I lost them all. Water got dirty and high amounts of ammonia.

Even though they're just the small goldfish? They're each just like an inch long (they were $.28 each). I do want to get a bigger tank though, I like them more than he does :D. I can't just get rid of a few fish, I'd feel bad. I feel like I saved them from a horrible fate, we were back at the store the other day and the tank they came out of had like 15 dead goldies in it (The store obviously doesn't take care of their fish).

Even though they're just the small goldfish? They're each just like an inch long (they were $.28 each). I do want to get a bigger tank though, I like them more than he does :D. I can't just get rid of a few fish, I'd feel bad. I feel like I saved them from a horrible fate, we were back at the store the other day and the tank they came out of had like 15 dead goldies in it (The store obviously doesn't take care of their fish).

Yep, even for little guys. Stores way overstock their tanks, especially goldfish. That's probably why there were 15 dead fish in it. I don't know a whole lot about goldifish other than they need quite a bit of water. Get onto the forums at fishlore.com. There is a ton of info on there and a great resource. But you really should do something soon before you lose any.

Oh, and don't go by what the salesman at the fish store say. They usually don't know crap.

10 gallons per goldfish is PLENTY, a 20 gallon tank is fine for a school of fish. . If they were 28 cents a fish then you got feeder goldfish and they arent true goldfish lol. True gold's will grow to about 3-4 inches long and they are the dirty ones. Let me guess the tank you got them from had about a thousand in there? I wouldnt expect the fish to last any longer than 3 weeks. I hate when i used to have parents come in when i worked at the petstore and say they didnt want to spend the extra dollar per fish. :( Its a heart break waiting to happen. If i was you id scrap the feeders get a 20 gallon tank and get 4 real goldfish , before the kid notices lol

Yep, even for little guys. Stores way overstock their tanks, especially goldfish. That's probably why there were 15 dead fish in it. I don't know a whole lot about goldifish other than they need quite a bit of water. Get onto the forums at fishlore.com. There is a ton of info on there and a great resource. But you really should do something soon before you lose any.

Oh, and don't go by what the salesman at the fish store say. They usually don't know crap.

Some salesman know what there talking about, its the ones that dont care about there jobs that dont bother to do research. Minimal water is the last of your problems typically, it just means you have to clean it more and maintain it more. You can have 10 fish in a 5 gallon tank but you gotta clean it once a week at least otherwise the fish wont last.

Some salesman know what there talking about, its the ones that dont care about there jobs that dont bother to do research. Minimal water is the last of your problems typically, it just means you have to clean it more and maintain it more. You can have 10 fish in a 5 gallon tank but you gotta clean it once a week at least otherwise the fish wont last.

Some do but I wouldn't bank on it. Doing your research before rather than assuming they know anything is much better, for you and the fish.

Yeah you can keep 10 fish in a 5 gallon tank but the water will get filthy faster and there is a good chance the fish will be stressed out real bad. The more water you have the more stable it is and won't fluctuate temps or other parameters. a 5 or 10 gallon can actually be more difficult to keep healthy than a 50 gallon.

Edited by chevysoldier

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. I'll start looking for a slightly bigger tank. This was just his first tank and we weren't putting too much into it, but I'm kinda liking the fish thing myself. We got all this stuff at Walmart, hence the $.28 "goldfish". I really would like to get some nicer looking fish, but I'm curious to see how long I can keep these little guys alive.

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. I'll start looking for a slightly bigger tank. This was just his first tank and we weren't putting too much into it, but I'm kinda liking the fish thing myself. We got all this stuff at Walmart, hence the $.28 "goldfish". I really would like to get some nicer looking fish, but I'm curious to see how long I can keep these little guys alive.

That's how I started. My 3 year old won a goldie form the fair. Got a small tank then got more goldies. All died and realized the tank was too small. Now I have the 50 gallon and a 30 gallon in the basement that isn;'t up yet. All this cuz she won a fish at the ping pong ball game. :lol:

Some do but I wouldn't bank on it. Doing your research before rather than assuming they know anything is much better, for you and the fish.

Yeah you can keep 10 fish in a 5 gallon tank but the water will get filthy faster and there is a good chance the fish will be stressed out real bad. The more water you have the more stable it is and won't fluctuate temps or other parameters. a 5 or 10 gallon can actually be more difficult to keep healthy than a 50 gallon.

+1