by passing ignition

grapesmuggler27

Ok 99% of the time I can deal with some of the bs comments, the bikes not stolen give me a few and I will post the vin, yes I have a trackbike with no title why the fuck would I title it??? I'm looking for solutions not smart ass comments, if I had a spare key I wouldn't be asking about how to get around the ignition, I have race plastics on so no seat lock.

Not gonna get much help acting like a spolied kid.

"Why would I title it?". Motor vehicles are titled property. It has a title onewhere in some state DMV/BMV somewhere. Is that title "salvage" etc? no clue. Track bike or not, it has a title and if your name is not on that title then you have no proof that you own it. Bill of sale is irrelevant becuase without the title the guy who sold it to you cannot prove HE owned it.

Your question shodul have been; Why woudl I register a track bike? And I would agree, no need to register a track bike.

Title, though, is different.

Post the VIN - I can run it against Ohio BMV online services.

VIN#: JS1GN7CA842101014

Year: 2004

Make: SUZUKI

Model: --

Body Type: Motorcycle

Title number: 7900675352

Title status: Active

Owner name: STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY

Number of owners: 1

Issue date: 02/28/2005

Title type: Salvage

Control Number: 073185761

Liens 1:

Lien 1 cancel date:

Liens 2:

Lien 2 cancel date:

Mileage: 1

Mileage brand: Non-Actual

Brands 1:

Brands 2:

Brands 3:

Total Purchase Price: 0

Resides in County: 79

Originally titled 04/27/2004

So it was bought by someone in Tuscarawas county. Wrecked / totalled 10 months later, and now *legally* belongs to State Farm.

Since that point the posession of the bike has changed without being documented. You are running the risk that State Farm appears to have legal ownership of the bike. Posession and ownership are two different things.

Could have been stolen, or more likely the person who bought it from State Farm never had the title switched into their name (being a salvage title).

If the bike is not stolen and you have a bill of sale then maybe you could contact State Farm and ask for the title. They would need to have a duplicate made up and then sign it over to you. Then you could use the title to get a key made up at the dealership. That would be the by-the-book method. Of course if ti was stolen by a previous owner then sold on as legit then contacting state farm could mean they have now "found" the bike and the police come and take it back. How much do you knwo of the bike's history? Can you trace back to State Farm?

Otherwise - it's just wiring, you should be able to bypass it. Just need a wiring diagram. Or maybe you could find a generic aftermarket ignition from an auto parts store or a used ignition and key on ebay or something.

Edited by Scruit

Property Information Type: VehicleVIN#: JS1GN7CA842101014Year: 2004Make: SUZUKIModel: --Body Type: MotorcycleCurrent Title Information Title number: 7900675352Title status: ActiveOwner name: STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANYNumber of owners: 1Issue date: 02/28/2005Title type: SalvageLiens 1: Lien 1 cancel date: Control Number: 073185761Liens 2: Lien 2 cancel date: Mileage: 1Mileage brand: Non-Actual Brands 1: Brands 2: Brands 3: Total Purchase Price: 0Resides in County: 79

History Title NumberIssue DateTitle TypeTitle StatusInactive Reason TypeMileageMileage brandMileage justifyOwner Name4802443920 04/27/2004 Original Inactive Transferred Out of County 1 Actual PRIVATE OWNER

So it was bought by someone in Tuscarawas county. Wrecked / totalled 10 months later, and belongs to State Farm.

Since that point the ownership has changed without being documented. You are running the risk that State Farm appears to have legal ownership of the bike.

Could have been stolen, or more likely the person who bought it from State Farm never had the title switched into their name (being a salvage title).

If the bike is not stolen and you have a bill of sale then maybe you could contact State Farm and ask for the title. They would need to have a duplicate made up and then sign it over to you. Then you could use the title to get a key made up at the dealership. That would be the by-the-book method.

Otherwise - it's just wiring, you should be able to bypass it. Just need a wiring diagram. Or maybe you could find a generic aftermarket ignition from an auto parts store or a used ignition and key on ebay or something.

That's exactly what happen the guy wrecked the bike bought it from the insurance company and turned it into a track bike, the owner who I bought it off of actually has a title but has never been titled since the accident...no worries I was able to pull the ignition and get it started. I've been looking for a reason to get a keyless ignititon because this is stupid to fuck up a trackday and race on Sunday because a key, I could of easily tld you the bikes history from th time is rolled off the floor but wanted a third party to post it up. After the wekend I'm hooking up a toggle switch!

Good luck. I'd be real anal about it and have the guy with the title get it titled then sign the new title over to me... But as long as you keep that bill of sale then you can defend any claim from him that the bike is actually still his.

geez... call Carl Zipf locksmith on 5th Ave and explain.

See if they can cut the key from the VIN.

If not, remove the lock and take it to them.

If not, trailer the bike over and have it done.

All assuming that they will do it without a title and/or registration.

Carl Zipf Lock Shop Inc

161 East 5th Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201-2894

(614) 429-1146

Get directions

Open Weekdays 8:30am-5:30pm

I told you it was legal.

I think there's a minute but important difference between "legal" and "not stolen."

My bike's in the same state of limbo as Grape's. It's not stolen, but it's also not legally mine. For a track bike, there's an infinitely small chance that it matters.

I have heard of state police sitting at the entrance to tracks and checking VINs on the way in, but I have yet to meet anyone who has actually experienced that. My inclination is that it simply doesn't happen.

I suspect there's no probable cause to run the VIN of a vehicle on a trailer; especially an enclosed trailer, and even if they do run it, there's nothing illegal about being in possession of something that's not yours, but also not reported stolen.

The only steps the cops could take would be to call whatever phone number(s) are on record for the last registered owner.

I took my bike into Canada to ride Calabogie, and the boarder patrol gave my buddy Mike and me the full-court press. "is this your trailer?" It was a borrowed trailer, which we told them. They asked whose it was. We told them. They asked if he knew we were taking it out of the country, and we confirmed that he did. If they had run my bike's VIN, i believe it comes back to a dealership in WI that's now out of business, but it's definitely not flagged as stolen. Unless it is, I really don't think they can impound the bike or detain you for any lengthy amount of time.