Erik Buell Racing 1190RS - Exclusive First Ride

Tpoppa

So what changed after he announced Buell was done?

Read some of the articles linked at the bottom of the article.

Basically Harley drop the Buell Brand.

Eventually Eric left the company and started a company supporting racers.

Then he built a new race machine (EBR 1190RR)

And announced he would be selling a street legal limited edition version of the bike (EBR 1190RS).

Craig

^ I'm sure there is some kind of non-compete agreement with HD that expires after 2 years, and requires that whatever he's selling not have been in development prior to the split.

supporting racers isn't HD's gig, so they didn't care about that. Selling to the public is their gig (although I can't believe there's a lot of overlap in their markets), but it appears HD has been relatively un-douchey about letting Erik keep his doors open.

I am not sure if he's going to get it approved unless he gets a certain number of units actually produced. Otherwise, it is a pure prototype based machine and if allowed, might as well bring in an M1 Yamaha to race...

I am not sure if he's going to get it approved unless he gets a certain number of units actually produced. Otherwise, it is a pure prototype based machine and if allowed, might as well bring in an M1 Yamaha to race...

The Homologation rules really aren't that strict:

--The motorcycle must meet all D.O.T., E.P.A., and other U.S. Federal requirements for street usage.

--The manufacturer must have produced a quantity of at least 18 units before applying for homologation.

--Motorcycles submitted for American SuperBike homologation approval may not exceed a retail price of

$40,000 U.S.

I've heard talk that at $40k they will actually be selling the 1190RS at a loss. If that's true, I guess this is the reason.

I suspect more than 18 have already been produced.

I predict that these bikes will be popular in the music video industry.

Yup. It looks nicer than the S1KRR. But imo, the F4 is just gorgeous. It'll be in some rap videos fo sho, dawg.

About the Buell, though. I seriously doubt he's going to sell a $40k bike for a loss, and expect to make a business.

The 1190RS is a limited run of 100 bikes. You can't pay a staff off of the sales and support of 100 bikes.

There are other, more reasonably priced models in the works. I suspect some details will be available soon.

Well they have been working on making bikes all month, if you go to the Eric Buell racing site you will see the below message:

The Erik Buell Racing parts store will be shut down for the rest of the month of May for inventory reasons and to meet 1190RS production demands.

• 2 weeks later...

The engine build and test video is pretty cool.

I like how you can see the tire stand up a TON on the dyno. Okay, maybe not a ton, but enough to make a significant suspension geometry difference if it were to stay that way under braking/cornering.

• 1 month later...

any one catch the mid ohio 1190rs reveal. Geoff may ran a completely unmodified (mechanically) version of the 1190rs in the race the only difference between the race model and the street model is that they had to ADD weight to the bike to meet AMA specs!!! and starting from 12 position may finished 11th in the first race and 10th in the second race, just imagine what they'll be able to do once they start tweaking this beast! in my opinion this is the sexyest bike every made.

any one catch the mid ohio 1190rs reveal. Geoff may ran a completely unmodified (mechanically) version of the 1190rs in the race the only difference between the race model and the street model is that they had to ADD weight to the bike to meet AMA specs!!! and starting from 12 position may finished 11th in the first race and 10th in the second race, just imagine what they'll be able to do once they start tweaking this beast! in my opinion this is the sexyest bike every made.

it was impressive for a first race, but the KTM impressed me a lot more.

7th in their first race ever? that's nuts. Granted, I think they had a lot more time to test and tune; and the Buell held its own for sure, but the KTM was on the pace from day 1. Nasty.

yea i agree i love the KTM. they started in 9th in both races and moved up 2 spots in 21 laps for a 7th place finish and in the second race they finished 9th starting in 9th. the EBR in my opinion had an equally impressive run though moving up 1 position from 12th to 11th in the first race and from 12th to 10th (right on the ass of that KTM lol) in the second race

it was impressive for a first race, but the KTM impressed me a lot more.

7th in their first race ever? that's nuts. Granted, I think they had a lot more time to test and tune; and the Buell held its own for sure, but the KTM was on the pace from day 1. Nasty.

The basis was longer in terms of testing as it is an IDM based machine. That being said, Chris literally had two days of testing on the newest bike that is a completely different beast than what he raced last season. Plus, adding the electronics and different suspension than what they are used to, I think he deserves credit for the accomplishment as well as Mitch and his team for being able to adjust on the fly...

As for the Buell, the idea is that BOTH teams were on new machines. The fact that they can BOTH come to play in a field that has been running 3/4 of a season and do as well is saying something. Chris would have gotten Pegram if he had one more lap. Considering he was 10 MPH down on top speed and the fact that again, new bike to Larry, but with the factory support and the fact he has had 3/4 a season to get used to it, Fillmore was on his ass at the line.

My feelings are that the team has some work to do. They are having to adapt to the process of getting parts from Austria and the logistics involved that make it different than what they are doing over there. For example, they needed different springs for the front, but didn't have any. They are at times rolling dice as they have no notes to work off with exception to IDM notes and let's face it, those tracks are different in a bunch of ways as well as maybe even the talent not as good as over here...

Taking Buell when they have NOTHING to really go off, they are definitely working on the fly also.

Again, kudos to both teams. It's great to see that the smaller guys are coming to play when the big guys are tapped out (Honda/Kawasaki) and missing some names that SHOULD be here (Ducati/Aprillia), etc...

Good luck to both. KTM for obvious reasons and to Buell as what HD did to that guy, I want to see him succeed.

yea i agree i love the KTM. they started in 9th in both races and moved up 2 spots in 21 laps for a 7th place finish and in the second race they finished 9th starting in 9th. the EBR in my opinion had an equally impressive run though moving up 1 position from 12th to 11th in the first race and from 12th to 10th (right on the ass of that KTM lol) in the second race

Not to be a dick, but if you call a 17 second gap "on the ass" of the guy in front of you, we have a different idea of close...;)

Not to be a dick, but if you call a 17 second gap "on the ass" of the guy in front of you, we have a different idea of close...;)

I was going to post the same, but "Buellers" are very sensitive about Erik and Crew.:sheepkoolaid:

Give both bikes a few more races and more development and I suspect they'll get closer to the top 5.

Keep in mind that EBR has all of about 12 employees. The same people that are working on the street bikes are also the race team.

Looking at BadWeb, the "BuellFags" have their sites solely set on the KTM, why is that???

Just looking for a moral victory of some sort???

That was not the atmosphere when the 1190RS was announced as the new EBR race bike, it was automatically going to be a world beater, straight out of the box???

I am not bashing the 1190RS, EBR, or even Erik himself, just the "BuellFags" and their Erik Buell nut swinging antics, especially "Bitch Boy's" Blake and Court, the ring leaders of BadWeb.

Check it out in the 1125 section of BadWeb for a good laugh!

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/290431/290431.html?

Sorry, rant off... I guess the "Buell Owner Experience" is still under my skin a bit...:D