How to Repair cracks in Fairings?

KL9 F4i

I have a few cracks in the fairings and they bother me and I was searching for ways to fix them and came across this....Anyone think this will work or have a better way to fix the cracks besides super glue, duct tape and finger paints:) lol

http://www.ehow.com/how_5109783_repair-motorcycle-fairing.html

There are appropriate automotive kits to repair various types of automotive plastics.

You'll have to identify the type of plastic first.

But the kits either bond together at the seam, or reinforce from behind, or both.

It also used to be popular to weld the plastic. I don't hear much of that anymore.

Identifying the plastic isn't so easy. Here's an example:

http://www.urethanesupply.com/identify.php

edit: there's supposed to be an identifying code on the parts. For the type of plastic.

And after looking at the chart, notice that welding is appropriate for some plastics, bonding for others, and epoxies for fiberglass.

And sometimes there's more than one way to fix it.

Edited by ReconRat

Not a good idea to heat the edges until melted and then press together and smooth out. Look at it this way - you will essentially be shrinking the plastic to get it melted. When cool, there will now be stress as it wants to be further apart when assembled. They will crack again...

The best thing is a plastic welder. It's what I have seen done and even then, they tend to still crack again... If it is small, the welder will work. If it is like what you pictured, they tend to fracture again...

Awesome thanks for a help all! I'll look into everything you guys mentioned and figure out what the best route is...Neither cracks are really effecting anything other than my brain. The one is on the front cowl just below the mirror and the other is on the tail piece where the screw is below my seat... It is splitting from the screw out both sides...I think it may have happened from over tightening the screw when I put my undertail on....

+ a billion for plastex

i have used it several times with no issues, never had it re crack on me, comes out great.

best part is its not to expensive and you can do it yourself.

its sandable, paintable, and professional looking.