Fail, beyond belief

cmh_sprint

Yeah' date=' suicide is a cry for help. This man wanted and most likely needed help

but instead the man died while everyone watched. :nono:

Most everyone's comments in this thread are equally disturbing.[/quote']

This is another thing wrong with people. Suicide should NOT be a cry for help, suicide is wanting to off yourself because you cant handle it anymore. If someone truly wants help, they should ACTUALLY ASK FOR HELP or take responsibility to get help for themselves. If they can't do that well then thats a shame and they have to let their friends and family deal with THEIR consequences

Edited by Bad324

This is another thing wrong with people. Suicide is NOT a cry for help, suicide is wanting to off yourself because you cant handle it anymore.

An attempted and usually failed attempt is indeed a cry for help and attention, this man was in the water for an hour, waiting for someone to give a damn and help him,

maybe show some regard for human life, but instead the heartless bastards just watched and let him take his life. :nono:

I look at this as a test of human compassion, and everyone there failed.

I hope they sleep ok at night knowing they watched someone die and could have helped but did nothing.

BTW, I do not condone what this guy did, or suicide as an answer, but I definitely don't agree that doing nothing was the right answer.

An attempted and usually failed attempt is indeed a cry for help and attention' date=' this man was in the water for an hour, waiting for someone to give a damn and help him,

maybe show some regard for human life, but instead the heartless bastards just watched and let him take his life. :nono:

I hope they sleep ok at night knowing they watched someone die.[/quote']

if you're that bad off to attempt then that shows your want to die. End of story in my book. If you cant ask for help, you dont want it. If you don't want to live anymore then please volunteer yourself to be hunted or take on a mission within the military that is a certain death scenario but will help others in the end. Do the rest of humanity a freakin favor instead of being a bitch that cant suck it up and work through it.

They have no regard for their own life, why should anyone else :confused:

Nobody failed. Lose your job or let some self loathing asshole lose their life...yea I'm letting him go too

An attempted and usually failed attempt is indeed a cry for help and attention' date=' this man was in the water for an hour, waiting for someone to give a damn and help him,

I hope they sleep ok at night knowing they watched someone die and could have helped but did nothing.

BTW, I do not condone what this guy did, or suicide as an answer, but I definitely don't agree that doing nothing was the right answer.[/quote']

What should they have done? Wade out into the water towards a potentially combative and clearly suicidal person with no training or equipment?

Going back to my earlier question... We don't send under-trained and ill-equipped firefighters into a burning building - why would it be any less dangerous to send an under-trained and ill-equipped person into the water?

And if those firefighters are required by policy to not go in the water, and they DO go in the water and get fired etc then who provides for those firefighter's families. And I'll bet you anything the "victim" who is thwarted will just do eat a shotgun or something the next day.

Why are they underfunded? The eeeeevil gubment was wasting money on firefighter training and equipment! Let's reduce taxes so each person can buy an extra 6-pack of cheap american "beer" at the cost of not being able to rescue people from shallow water.

Whose actions are we judging here?

Look, we don't know that someone out there on the beach had the ability to save him. He was obviously in deep water and I've never done it myself, but I would imagine trying to pull someone out of the water while you yourself are in the water is NOT easy and next to impossible.

If it were me on the beach...I'd stay on the beach. It would most assuredly be a certain death for me if I tried to help.

if you're that bad off to attempt then that shows your want to die. End of story in my book. If you cant ask for help, you dont want it. If you don't want to live anymore then please volunteer yourself to be hunted or take on a mission within the military that is a certain death scenario but will help others in the end. Do the rest of humanity a freakin favor instead of being a bitch that cant suck it up and work through it.

They have no regard for their own life, why should anyone else :confused:

Nobody failed. Lose your job or let some self loathing asshole lose their life...yea I'm letting him go too

Lose your job? How about lose your life? If a firefighter had drowned trying to save him then this story would be about how stupid the fire dept was to send them in. It's a no-win situation.

Sorry and all that, but I have a family to take care of. You want to die? Fair enough - I'm not risking my life on the hunch that you're just kidding.

[/quote']

Exactly! Of the 75 bystanders, not to mention the professionals on site, you would hope SOMEONE would step up and do the right, honorable thing. Not trained?? BS. Where are the true men? The fellow man who actually cares for his. "neighbor". Instead it's just their entertainment for the day. It was indeed a cry for help

For those that say he got what he deserved. What would u do if it was your dad, son, or brother?

Truly dis heartening

Exactly! Of the 75 bystanders, not to mention the professionals on site, you would hope SOMEONE would step up and do the right, honorable thing. Not trained?? BS. Where are the true men? The fellow man who actually cares for his. "neighbor". Instead it's just their entertainment for the day. It was indeed a cry for help

For those that say he got what he deserved. What would u do if it was your dad, son, or brother?

fuck that, then you go save every asshole that doesn't want to live. I will go on making my life better and leaving these fools in the dust. The right thing is making sure I do the right thing by my friends and family.

True men? True men don't wade out in water and cry like a little bitch waiting for someone to come save them. Call the whambulance

I certainly do not care for someone who doesn't even have an ounce of care for them damn selves

The only sad part in this is that people actually watched. Just standing around and watching someone die is pretty sick.

If the guy had fallen over-board or off the dock and was making some attempt to save himself or was unconscious -then, yes, trying to save him would be justified.

Since this guy went into the water under his own power, was there for an hour and then drowned himself - his choice.

But, why watch?

• Upvote 1

I guess I don't understand this whole compassion deal, because a lot of the same people who bust chops on 'bleeding heart' people, are against health care for all, decry welfare and other social safety net programs, and are pro-SB5 (anti union, anti public service sector workers), but yet are pro-lifers and think it's appalling people just stood idly by and let this guy take his own life.

"Every life is precious, if they can afford it" seems to be a fitting mantra. I'm surprised more people aren't glad that's one more person potentially off the gov't tab along with all the money saved by not having a taxpayer funded recuse and hospitalization cost only for the goober to potentially try it again later.

Call it callous, but I don't understand the "selective compassion" for people.

I'm surprised more people aren't glad that's one more person potentially off the gov't tab along with all the money saved by not having a taxpayer funded recuse and hospitalization cost.

oh I was thinking it but I just didn't say it to cause another dumbass political thing :D

I believe a society is defined and evaluated by the steps we take to help those who are unable to help themselves.

People who are perfectly able, but make no attempt to help themselves don't fall into that category.

You can lead a horse to water...

• Upvote 1

I believe a society is defined and evaluated by the steps we take to help those who are unable to help themselves.

People who are perfectly able, but make no attempt to help themselves don't fall into that category.

+1

The only sad part in this is that people actually watched. Just standing around and watching someone die is pretty sick.

If the guy had fallen over-board or off the dock and was making some attempt to save himself or was unconscious -then, yes, trying to save him would be justified.

Since this guy went into the water under his own power, was there for an hour and then drowned himself - his choice.

But, why watch?

This was the point of my original post. WTF, would you willingly watch someone die?

Good to see I could stir the pot though.

This guy was ABLE to wade back to shore.

You wouldn't expect a firefighter to run into a burning building without beign properly equipped, right? Why would you send him in the water without gear?

No, you wouldn't send the firefighters in a burning building without equipment, because everyone loves the firemen. That's when you send in the cops. They're expendable! Right?;)

• Upvote 1

No, you wouldn't send the firefighters in a burning building without equipment, because everyone loves the firemen. That's when you send in the cops. They're expendable! Right?;)

Sure. Just tell them the guy in the house robbed a Krispy Kreme. Justice will be serverd. Sweet toasty justice. :D

• Upvote 1

Sure. Just tell them the guy in the house robbed a Krispy Kreme. Justice will be serverd. Sweet toasty justice. :D

I know I am feeding into the stereo type, but I love Krisyp Kreme (Dunkin' Donuts too!) Damn it! I just got out of bed and now I'm hungry! You all SUCK!!

You're trying to call out the people who didn't help, by saying they aren't "True Men"? By saying, "They don't need no stinkin' training"????

Wow

Point is that I'm sure out of close to 100 people, I'm sure SOMEONE knew how to swim and was able

to save him. No, I'm not suggesting someone w no training who would certainly die, attempt to save him. Nor am I trying to make light of the training, or lack thereof. But again, surely someone, especially in a group of first responders, knew how to swim. I'd like to think if I saw someone drowning on a beach I'd do

my best to help. Though I guess according to some, I'd have to aak him first if he's trying to commit suicide.

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Officials in the town of Alameda, California, are revising rescue procedures after the suicide of a man who waded into the frigid waters of San Francisco Bay and succumbed to hypothermia as firefighters and police watched from shore.

The tragedy unfolded Monday when emergency personnel were called to a public beach in Alameda, a small East Bay island city near Oakland, where bystanders reported a man had walked into the water up to his neck about 200 yards from shore.

Efforts to coax him back proved fruitless, and the U.S. Coast Guard was called to assist. But without a rescue vessel immediately available, no attempt was made to reach the man until after he appeared to lose consciousness and was seen floating face down, police said.

By then, nearly 45 minutes had elapsed from the time authorities first arrived, said Lieutenant Sean Lynch, investigations commander for the Alameda Police Department.

Minutes later, as the surf pushed the man's body closer to shore, a civilian onlooker finally swam out on her own and pulled the man back to the beach, where emergency personnel tried in vain to resuscitate him, Lynch told Reuters.

Shallow waters prevented a Coast Guard rescue boat from getting close enough to help, and a Coast Guard helicopter called to the scene arrived too late, according to spokesman Marcus Brown said.

"Every reasonable effort was being made to save this individual," Lynch said, insisting there was little else emergency personnel could do without risking their own lives. The temperature of the water was 54 degrees Fahrenheit.

"When you're dealing with a suicidal person, they clearly have shown no regard for their own life or safety," Lynch said. "This is a 300-pound man who is not responding to communication attempts, going farther out into the water. All he has to do is bear-hug an individual and take them down with him.

It turned out that the victim, identified by the Coast Guard as Raymond Zack, 53, had tried taking his own life once before by drowning, Lynch said. On Monday, Zack had told a surfer who paddled out to him, "Go away, leave me alone."

"This is no different from a person going out to the ledge of a building or the tracks of a train," Lynch said. As it happened, he was "using the hypothermic qualities of the water to commit suicide."

Lynch said the police department would conduct "a critical analysis" of the incident to "see if there are things we did wrong or right, with an eye on improvement."

Deputy Fire Chief Daren Olson said another factor was a city policy barring the fire department from attempting to save someone from shore since its water-rescue program was ended some 18 months ago for "various reasons."

"We were unable to maintain the training our rescue swimmers needed to make a rescue in the water," he told Reuters. He said after Monday's tragedy, "We've revised our policy to train our rescue swimmers" and to give on-scene commanders the discretion to order a water rescue if needed.

Mayor Marie Gilmore also weighed in, telling National Public Radio that necessary policy changes would be made.

"We can't go back and change what happened. We can't defend what happened," she said. "What we can do is move forward and make sure something like this doesn't happen again."