Fonzie

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Terrible Towel, And Why The Steelers Need To (WILL) Win The Super

Bowl This Year

Members of the Steeler Nation know all too well the

story of the Terrible Towel. It was a brainchild of beloved and dearly departed Myron Cope during the Chuck Noll Dynasty. The magic of the towel lasted beyond the retirement of Chuck Noll, maintained its staying power throughout the entire Cowher age, and is still going strong in the early years of the Tomlin era.

The towels are manufactured in Wisconsin by Chippewa

River Industries. Proceeds from the sale of the towels benefit Chippewa, which employs the mentally disabled, and helps to pay for their care. Myron Cope also collected royalties and donated all of them to the Allegheny Valley School, a special needs place where his autistic son is a resident. Before he died, Cope bequeathed the Towel rights to the school, ensuring proper care for his son and for many others.

What you may not know is that greed has found its way in

to this benevolent endeavor. The NFL is quietly working on a promotion to

produce larger towels for every other team in the league besides the Steelers. They plan to unveil this gimmick after the conference championships this week and push it through the super bowl. The plan is to market these towels and capture the enthusiasm of the super bowl contestants.

To get things moving, free towels were handed out at

every stadium during the divisional playoffs this week. You may have seen the Tennessee fans waving those powder blue things. Of course, they would not have brought their own.

Did anyone notice the complete backfire? All the home

teams lost EXCEPT the Steelers!

This is why the Steelers need to win the Super Bowl.

The sanctity of the Terrible Towel must be preserved!

Also of note:

After the 2005 season members of the Cincinnati Bengals,

AFC North division champs, stomped all over the Terrible Towel before their

playoff game with the wild card Steelers. The Bengals still have not recovered from their loss that day. The Steelers went on to win their Fifth Super Bowl.

On Dec. 21, 2008 members of the Titans stomped on the

towel. Three weeks later, the Titans took an early dismissal from the playoffs. Early on in that game with the Ravens, many fans were waving their freebie blue towels marked TITANS! Later, as the rain began to fall, and it got colder, they put the towels on their necks to stay warm.

Appropriately, as the game went on, their necks began to

TIGHTEN! And their team choked!

If the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year, they will

have to win two games against teams named after birds. Then the opposing fans can use their new towels to clean up all the bird S&%#. Also, a Steeler

Super Bowl victory will make the sacrilegious theft of the spirit of the

Terrible Towel the worst marketing idea since the NFL network!

GO STEELERS!

A man in Topeka , Kansas decided to write a book

about Churches around the

country. He started by flying to San Francisco and

started working east from there.

Going to a very large church, he began taking

photographs and making notes.

He spotted a golden telephone on the vestibule wall

and was intrigued with a sign, which read "Calls: $10,000 a minute."

Seeking out the pastor he asked about the phone and the sign. The pastor

answered that this golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to heaven and if

he pays the price he can talk directly to God.

The man thanked the pastor and continued on his way.

As he continued to visit churches in Seattle , Dallas , St. Louis ,

Chicago, Milwaukee , and around the United States , he found more phones, with the

same sign, and the same answer from each pastor.

Finally, he arrived in Pennsylvania . Upon entering a Church in Pittsburgh, he saw the usual go lden telephone.

But THIS time, the sign read "Calls: $0.35 cents."

Fascinated, he asked to talk to the pastor, "Father Jones, I have been in

cities all across the country and in each church I have found this golden

telephone and have been told it is a direct line to Heaven and that I could talk to

God, but in the other churches the cost was $10,000 a minute. Your sign reads only

$0.35 cents a call. Why?

The priest, smiling benignly, replied : "Son, you're

in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania now, home of the Pittsburgh Steelers-5 times Super Bowl Champions, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Pittsburgh Penguins, 3 vibrant rivers meeting at the Point of the most beautiful downtown area around, the city with the best hospitals, neighborhoods and friendliest people in the world!

You're in God's Country....

It's a local call."

AMEN!!!

Good read. Jerry Jones is a pompous, arrogant ass, who can't get out of his own way. I soooo wish we would'a beat them again in '95. We were poised for the comeback until O'Donnell threw that pick.

Don't think the Cowboys are ever gonna get over the hump with Romo. I like the guy....very charismatic, but he's shown time & again the last 3 years that he's not a clutch player, & after that long, he's apparently not going to mature into one either

Love what they had to say about Plex! I knew that guy was a half ass loser & was ecstatic when we finally got rid of his underachieving ass. He's not worthy of carrying Hine's jock strap!

Here's that new SI cover I was tellin' you about. It's up above in the album as well. Look how high Nate's up in the air....Daaayummm!! :eek: Think it's safe to say he can dunk a bball!

My SIL's tellin' me that we're on this week's cover as well.......2 in a row, but I haven't seen it for myself yet

picture.php?groupid=11&pictureid=1279

The best reason to love McCain...

John McCain outdid them both, tweaking a familiar story to enhance its appeal for a Western Pa. electorate.

He told a Pittsburgh TV station:

"When I was first interrogated and really had to give some information because of the physical pressures that were on me, I named the starting lineup — defensive line — of the Pittsburgh Steelers as my squadron-mates."

Even though it was made up... But hey can't blame a guy for wanting to love the steelers..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9123622/It%27s-pretty-hard-to-hate-the-Steelers?MSNHPHMA