Steel City Pub

Fonzie

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this week's SI cover, & it's true......WE MADE 2 COVERS IN A ROW!! That's 3 covers in a little over a month! :p Our boy Troy's on this one :D

Soon as I get a copy, I'll scan it in & post up

Steelers arrived in Tampa this afternoon :grin: They're talking about how ~95% of the crowd in Detroit 3 years ago were Terrible Towel wavin' Steelers fans, and will Cardinals supporters travel any better than the Seahawks did, or will this be another "home" Super Bowl for us!! ;)

Just saw on ESPN.....Looks like they remade the Mean Joe Greene Coca Cola commercial with Polamalu this time

You didn't know that? Talks about that start early in the season. It's going to be aired during the Superbowl. Very cool, it's a game he will be playing in!

And the Mean Joe Green commercial is still ranked the best Superbowl commercial ever and it aired before the Superbowl that year!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28780693/

Hahaha......

• Even on the Monday of Super Bowl week, the Steelers fans are already in town. I never cease to be amazed at Steelers Nation. They travel, they're vocal, and they own absolutely nothing but clothes in a black-and-gold color scheme. They were outside the tent the league constructed to hold the Steelers news conferences at the team hotel, hooting and hollering for their guys, and drowning out Mike Tomlin's answers to reporter's questions.

And there are still six days to go before game day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/01/26/snap.judgments.ap/index.html?eref=T1&bcnn=yes

Here we go Steelers.......

Article in the paper today here in "RoethlisBurg". Last part's pretty cool....We ate there 3 years ago, right before the game, and are gonna go again in a few days to keep the tradition/mojo flowin' right. Usually hear when he's in town, but don't think I'd heard he was here this time, with the line no less.......

Jan 27, 2009 - Local News -- Courier Electronic Edition - Findlay, OhioJan 27, 2009

No Big Ben bonanza, this time

By MARY KATE MALONE

Staff Writer

To the disappointment of some sales-starved Findlay merchants, Ben Roethlisberger's second trip to the Super Bowl is spurring only modest demand for Pittsburgh Steelers merchandise.

In 2006, when Roethlisberger was quarterbacking his first Super Bowl, area stores sold out of Steelers' T-shirts, hats and flags.

Three years later, racks are still full, for the most part.

At House of Awards and Shoes at 209 S. Main St., owner Cathy Linhart has only sold four Roethlisberger jerseys. But she's not complaining: The stack was untouched for three years, she said. The jerseys are on sale for 20 percent off. They normally cost between $75 and $100, she said.

Jim Marckel, owner of Gaslight Gifts at 408 S. Main St., reported modest interest in the store's Steelers merchandise. He blames it on the economy, and the overwhelming popularity of Steelers gear in 2006.

“You have the initial spike the first few years, but it kind of settles down after that,” Marckel said.

Gridirons Gifts and Collectibles at Findlay Village Mall has “Beat Arizona” T-shirts which have been popular, said owner Fred Makrancy. The store sold five or six Super Bowl hats on Saturday.

“Our store needs this, period,” he said. The Christmas shopping season fell far below expectations, he said, and the Steelers' success has helped offset that.

If the Steelers win, Gridirons will sell a framed front page of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The front page from the 2006 Super Bowl victory has been selling well recently, Makrancy said.

Another popular item at Gridirons: a bumper sticker that says “Ben at Work” and resembles a road construction sign.

At Readmore's Hallmark at 2705 N. Main St., a four-foot-tall scowling cardboard Steelers player greets customers. The player lights up and stands on his own as a yard sign. It is on sale for $50.

Readmore's manager, Patty Koehler, moved Steelers merchandise near the entrance after Big Ben's team beat the Baltimore Ravens on Jan. 18.

The store also has Steelers key chains, stickers, flags, trash cans, rugs, beer mugs, a giant bean bag chair, and “Got Ben?” T-shirts.

Koehler has not noticed a surge in sales, she said.

Neither has Beth Sterling of House of Awards and Sports at 419 N. Main St. In 2006, the store sold 80 official Super Bowl footballs. So far, there have been only 12 orders for the footballs, which will arrive Feb. 2 -- the day after the Super Bowl -- said Sterling, the store's manager.

The footballs cost $105, she said.

Steelers apparel at JCPenney has been selling well, especially for kids, said manager Jon Davis. They still have plenty of T-shirts and hooded sweatshirts.

But the sales have not come close to 2006, Davis said.

Big Ben Burgers, served at Tony's Restaurant on 10280 U.S. 224, have fared better. Owner Tom Brown said the burger has been more popular in the last two weeks.

The sandwich comes with one full pound of burger (a double patty) on a five-inch bun, with lettuce, tomato and Tony's own barbecue sauce. The bun is topped with a flag, bearing the number 7 and a Steelers helmet.

Roethlisberger often dines at Tony's when he's in town, Brown said. A few weeks ago, he came in with the Steelers' entire offensive line, Brown said.

Fam & I kept a tradition we started 3 years ago......Went to Tony's Restaurant here in town, & ate Ben Burgers. Full pound of burger for $7....w/ cheese is an xtra .$07. You can see from the pic that it almost fills the whole plate.....You need 2 hands + the toothpick flag to hold it together. Check the hand & fork for size comparison. My middle son ate his in about 5 minutes :eek::nono: He was all done while his older brother & I were only halfway through :rolleyes::lol:

Ben brought the O line here to eat last week. Since they won 3 years ago when we ate there......Didn't want to break the streak!! ;)

picture.php?groupid=11&pictureid=1406

All gone....Took one for the team! ;)

picture.php?groupid=11&pictureid=1407

One for the other thumb BABY....Even with the hardest schedule in the NFL this year!!!! Daayummm we almost gave that game away!! :mad: Dominated for 3 quarters, and almost blew it in the 4th if it weren't for Ben & 'Tonio on that last drive! That's what happens when you run on first down every freakin' time & start playin' prevent defense with a 20 yard cushion!! :nono:

Think we found our heir apparent for Hines! There's one Buckeye I absolutely love....VERY clutch!! :D And how AWESOME was Harrison's 100 yard pick 6...Big man can run the damn ball!!! ;)

Great game....I knew we couldn't underestimate the Cardinals. Tomlin didn't look so enthused about his Gatorade shower

Should have our 3rd SI cover in a row this coming week!! :bow:

Twas the Night Before the Super Bowl

'Twas the night before the Super Bowl, when along the gulf shore,

Steelers fans were praying for "just one more;"

The players were nestled all snug in the sack,

With visions of the first NFL Six-Pack;

Coach Tomlin was young, but wise for his years,

So I drifted off to sleep without any fears;

When at the stadium there arose some strange chatter,

The Cardinals feared, what was the matter;

We heard "Okel Dokel", we heard "Double Yoi,"

We jumped from our beds, our hearts jumped for joy;