Track school risks

Bellboy1

Based on many threads I have seen, I believe the next step in my rider eduction is to figure out how to do a track school or track day. Redkow had done a great descrption of what you need to bring on the ex-500 forum, but I have a couple concerns before I sign up.

I worked as a corner marshall for many MO events years ago. I do know what can and does occur at a track even under the best of conditions, so:

1. For a track school, do I need a full set of leathers? My most lacking piece of safety gear is good leather pants. I usually use a pair of textile based pants for my daily riding. Rent or buy I guess is the question.

2. Realistically, what are the chances of laying down a bike during a track day or track school? I'm not afraid to go down,I just don't want to mess up my bike. I've really been thinking about trying to find a cheap bike just for track use because I know I tend to get a bit agressive in that type of environment. Is it worth that, or just man up and use my daily ride?

3. Are there any organizations that you recommend? STT is what my MSF instructor ran with. KTM has their rent and ride program at MO sometimes. What other options are out there? Are some organizations geared more to track time while others do more coaching?

you can find a goog pair of pants for the cheap the problem is i believe they want them to be able to zip to your jacket. chances are you won't go down in novice.. just be safe and trust your gut. and dont push yourself into a faster group than you are comfortable.

and use your daily ride.. your 500 will be just fine.

you can find a goog pair of pants for the cheap the problem is i believe they want them to be able to zip to your jacket. chances are you won't go down in novice.. just be safe and trust your gut. and dont push yourself into a faster group than you are comfortable.

and use your daily ride.. your 500 will be just fine.

My leather jacket is designed for pants to zip to it. I guess I'll start looking around to see what I can find.

you will need the pants to zip in for sure. Check the track orgs website for how specific the gear needs to be as some are different.

In novice consider it a street ride with your friends. Ride your pace and learn. As long as your aren't riding over your head you will be fine. The only people I have seen crash in novice is just due to riding at 100% and over all the time.

STT, Mido, and Motoseries have really good novice programs. I have not been through NESBA but have heard they do class room stuff but just set you loose on track where the other 3 I listed make you follow a coach in the morning and will let you on your own later in the day.

Based on many threads I have seen, I believe the next step in my rider eduction is to figure out how to do a track school or track day. Redkow had done a great descrption of what you need to bring on the ex-500 forum, but I have a couple concerns before I sign up.

I worked as a corner marshall for many MO events years ago. I do know what can and does occur at a track even under the best of conditions, so:

1. For a track school, do I need a full set of leathers? My most lacking piece of safety gear is good leather pants. I usually use a pair of textile based pants for my daily riding. Rent or buy I guess is the question.

2. Realistically, what are the chances of laying down a bike during a track day or track school? I'm not afraid to go down,I just don't want to mess up my bike. I've really been thinking about trying to find a cheap bike just for track use because I know I tend to get a bit agressive in that type of environment. Is it worth that, or just man up and use my daily ride?

3. Are there any organizations that you recommend? STT is what my MSF instructor ran with. KTM has their rent and ride program at MO sometimes. What other options are out there? Are some organizations geared more to track time while others do more coaching?

As an STT instructor for the past couple of years, I am more than willing to fill you in. Your best bet is to start at our website, which gives you all of the info you need in regards to your gear requirments (we also rent leathers, btw if you don't have). www.sportbiketracktime.com

Go here for gear and bike requirements: http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/track-day-regulations.html

This is also a good place for first-timers: http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

STT has a fantastic novice program that focuses FIRST on track basics such as body position, throttle control, braking and cornering..BEFORE we focus on speed so that you have the strongest skill foundation possible.

Chances of laying a bike down? Less than on the street. Trackdays are JUST like the road only different, lol...here's how:

NO oncoming traffic

NO guardrails

NO trees

NO mailboxes

NO gravel

NO dogs chasing motorcycles

NO cops

The "Yesses" are:

Same predictable turns, over and over. No surprises after the first lap. You don't have to wait 2 weeks for the next ride to remember there's gravel in that turn!

Ambulance/medics RIGHT there in case of a spill.

Safety/gear requirements that you would most likely NOT adhere to on the street.

Everyone going in the SAME direction!

Width of the track is more than TWICE that of the street--WAY more room!

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me at sportbiketrackgirl@gmail.com.

Would love to see you out there!

you will need the pants to zip in for sure. Check the track orgs website for how specific the gear needs to be as some are different.

In novice consider it a street ride with your friends. Ride your pace and learn. As long as your aren't riding over your head you will be fine. The only people I have seen crash in novice is just due to riding at 100% and over all the time.

STT, Mido, and Motoseries have really good novice programs. I have not been through NESBA but have heard they do class room stuff but just set you loose on track where the other 3 I listed make you follow a coach in the morning and will let you on your own later in the day.

Good info on the different series so I can start looking at them. Having someone to follow will definately help keep me in check. I know it will be hard for me not to flip that switch from "under control" to "push it hard" if I'm out there by myself. I just have to remind myself I can't just spin out in a motorcycle like I do with a racecar.

Good info on STT BamBam. That helps guide me to the right sites to look at. I know I really liked my MSF instructor and he was also an STT instructor, so he pointed me in that direction.

yeah, as much as I love NESBA, I would not call them the best for first-time track riders. I did 2 sessions and was convinced I sucked beyond sucking, and would never enjoy track riding. It all changed for me during my 3rd session when I got some one-on-one instruction. The rest is history.

Ride your EX and enjoy it. I did 5 days on my EX, and it's a good tool to learn the basics of track riding without the danger of highsides or overwhelming speed. that said, I still managed to run off track once or twice by not knowing the layout at BeaveRun. T1 is lower than the front straight, so novices really need to be off the gas BEFORE they can see the turn. At least that's my excuse :p I may just not have been looking far enough down the track.

so "will you crash?" That's almost totally up to you. There is no reason to crash at a trackday. I've never seen anyone go from 0-awesome their first day; so ease up and let things happen a little slower. It's safer to push yourself at the track, but it's certainly not required. Ultimately, the high of pushing a bit isn't worth the low of crashing ...at least not early on.

For your first day, i would STRONGLY advise:

- Riding your own bike. One less variable.

- Full leathers, even if the org doesn't require them. Most places rent stuff DAMN cheap.

- A small, and/or inexpensive track. First, the fewer turns you have to learn as a newb, the better. Second, a shorter track means more laps, and thus more practice at getting things right. Third, you're on a smaller bike, so a mile long straight is just boring, and higher speeds add to the potential for mistakes.

With those things said, Nelson Ledges with MotoSeries or STT is cheap. BeaveRun is in good shape, and on the small side (also relatively cheap). Since you're in NW Ohio, consider Gingerman as well (don't look at the seams!). I have been told Grattan is great, but not easy to learn. If you can avoid a tough layout, you're going to have enough to worry about with your riding :D Along the same lines, I would skip Mid-Ohio for your first day. It's a world class facility, but fast, expensive, and garbage in the rain. Even with good weather, it would be like losing your virginity to Megan Fox; super fun, but ultimately you wouldn't know enough to really exploit the experience for all it's worth.

it's too bad that Summit Point's Jefferson Circuit isn't closer. It's a smaller, tighter track. I've seen a motard keep up with an R1 there, so you're EX500 would be right at home, and as noted, you'd get a LOT more laps in.

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 3

I have spare jacket/pants, if they fit feel free to use them. They have been down once at Mid Ohio in the esses, but not bad at all. I wear a 54 jacket and I forget pants. They zip together etc.

just ignore the white stain on the inside of the pants. :D

"

yeah, as much as I love NESBA, I would not call them the best for first-time track riders. I did 2 sessions and was convinced I sucked beyond sucking, and would never enjoy track riding. It all changed for me during my 3rd session when I got some one-on-one instruction. "

Wow! Nice to see that from someone else. Been to 2 track days and still think I suck and wonder if I'm ever going to "get it". Looks like me pushing for a tow/control rider is the right move.

Wow! Nice to see that from someone else. Been to 2 track days and still think I suck and wonder if I'm ever going to "get it". Looks like me pushing for a tow/control rider is the right move.

100% ask for help. They have people there for a reason and most of the time they are not helping someone because people don't want to ask.

100% ask for help. They have people there for a reason and most of the time they are not helping someone because people don't want to ask.

Was totally planning on it at mid o on monday, but we were always in our group. After lunch was prob a better time when they started letting guys loose but that's when I started feeling the heat, making mistakes, and decided to sit the rest of day out.

it would be like losing your virginity to Megan Fox; super fun, but ultimately you wouldn't know enough to really exploit the experience for all it's worth.

:lol:

Sound advice. Even in a kart I like the smaller tighter courses. I'll probably look at Ledges or Gingerman for a trackday. I've been to Ledges to crew with SCCA but have never been to Gingerman.

Asking for help is always a good idea, but it's also important to remember that you're just there to have fun. I have literally pitted in because I was getting frustrated and starting to make bad decisions. I was mad at someone for what I felt was a less than courteous pass, and was on a mission to get back by them. Bad call. I put myself in danger for no good reason. When I realized it and pulled off, a quick sip of gatorade, and the realization that, "I'm riding a fucking race track. This day could be a LOT worse" was all it took to put things back in perspective.

I'm not that fast. That's okay. I have fun riding, and people in the paddock are just as nice to the slower riders as they are to the faster riders. Even at race events, no one is going to (seriously) make fun of you for being slow unless you're claiming to be fast.

My basic rule for riding at trackdays is "never put anyone else at risk of harm." For racing, I modify that slightly to, "never put anyone else at unreasonable risk of harm."

I just got started with this trackday stuff and my first recco is: don't do it!

The a better term for track days would be CRACK DAYS. They are just that addictive.

So, with that said, you might as well bite the bullet and get the bits and pieces from the start. Don't assume you won't crash just because it is Novice. It is still motorcycle riding and there are a lot of variables that are beyond your control. (e.g. T8, Museum, at Barber, novice rider went down in front of me. Not going fast, maybe he hit the Fb???)

STT is a good group to go with. I have done several of their events and like them a lot. IMO, the Midwest events are better than the Southern events for first timers. I found the Midwest events a bit more controlled and structured (line drills, no shift drills) than in the South. Novice is split into groups of 4-6 with a CR. Faster or experienced Novice riders can get into gr1-3 and chicken shit riders (like myself) can go to grp 6-8.

Putnam Park was my first STT event and that is a pretty nice track to ride.

http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/our-approach.html

with Craig & Jinu staffing MotoSeries events, you can probably get (almost) 1-on-1 instruction at Nelson.

I'd offer to tow people around myself if Todd would allow it, but it would probably unnecessarily over-crowd the group.

with Craig & Jinu staffing MotoSeries events, you can probably get (almost) 1-on-1 instruction at Nelson.

I'd offer to tow people around myself if Todd would allow it, but it would probably unnecessarily over-crowd the group.

Todd would probably allow it.

Was totally planning on it at mid o on monday, but we were always in our group. After lunch was prob a better time when they started letting guys loose but that's when I started feeling the heat, making mistakes, and decided to sit the rest of day out.

Good not pushing it when you tired. I bugged Jbot at Nelson and we leaped frogged back and forth for 2 sessions and it was a blast.

Bellboy1,

MotoSeries classroom was a little better than Mid-O. Chalkboard and spent more time on topics/drills. Nelson was also nice because Jbot, blue, APCh8er, and a few others all pitted together and was nice to have everyone together and be so helpful with everything. As far as price...Mid-O was about the same if not cheaper when all things considered. Nelson $125 for track day, Gas up and back ~$70ish?, $10 gate fee, whatever you spend on lunch their. Mid-O was $195, nicer facility and track, no gate fee, lunch included and was only 50 miles from my place. So way less $ for gas and about the same overall.

Main thing is like everyone else said if you stay within you limits you wont crash. There were people flying and people prolly going slow. If you go slow you get a personal instructor lol. Just go in with an open mind. Do what they say and work on the drills and by the end you will be putting it all together and having free reign of the track and a ton of fun.