Track school risks

Bellboy1

2. Realistically, what are the chances of laying down a bike during a track day or track school? I'm not afraid to go down,I just don't want to mess up my bike. I've really been thinking about trying to find a cheap bike just for track use because I know I tend to get a bit agressive in that type of environment. Is it worth that, or just man up and use my daily ride?

A word of advice, your chances of going down are greatly reduced if you stay on the track. I bet 90% of novice rider tip overs occur off the track. Grass may look like a good option, but it's not. At novice speeds you generally have some margin left if you find yourself slightly astray. Keep it on the pavement.

I'm also kinda against "cheap track bikes." I see some shady stuff being ridden by people under the assumption that they're going to crash anyway, and have witnessed several failures of these piles right in front of me. Put the most mechanically sound bike you can out there.

Still, don't take anything you can't afford to lose out there, as there are still a few elements outside your control. As has been stated though, if you keep yourself in check, you're probably better off there than on the street - much less control of outside elements there.

Todd would probably allow it.

cool. My schedule seems to constantly conflict with the MotoSeries dates, but if I can make it, and Todd is down with the idea, I'd be happy to help people out.

I am certainly not an "A" group front-runner, but I can keep some newbs out of trouble :D

NEWB question also. if i was to do a track day and went into the novice class obviously and did my classroom instruction and was to come back again another time in the same class do i have to do the class room work again? Also at track days do you get to ride on the track as much as you want? If its an 8 hour track day, could i ride 7hrs if i wanted too?

NEWB question also. if i was to do a track day and went into the novice class obviously and did my classroom instruction and was to come back again another time in the same class do i have to do the class room work again? Also at track days do you get to ride on the track as much as you want? If its an 8 hour track day, could i ride 7hrs if i wanted too?

Depends on the org.

With STT, all novices are required to do the classroom time. that's why people are clamoring to register in "I" before they're ready (IMHO).

I'm not sure how MotoSeries works things. Defer to Craig & Jinu on that one.

There is no official classroom time with NESBA, but you also can't just move up to "I" whenever you want to. That said, 100% of the instruction you get from NESBA cr's is 1-on-1. You are never expected to ride in a group or do follow the leader laps (with the exception of the first 2 laps of the first 2 sessions, which are under a standing yellow flag).

There ARE totally "open" trackdays, but the standard format is three 20-minute sessions an hour. STT starts with "I" and everyone else I've ridden with starts with "A." Beginner is always at :40 after the hour, unless a crash or oil spill throws off the schedule.

Riding more than 3 hours a day is VERY difficult though. There's a reason 3-hour endurance teams use 3 or more riders... The idea that anyone could ride 7/8 hours at a trackday at any kind of respectable pace is laughable even for a pro rider. Go do a wall-sit for 20 seconds, then rest for 10, and repeat that cycle for 20 minutes. That's about what it feels like to do a single session on a race track. Unless there's an epic straight, there's a lot of 1-legged squatting on the peg, and very little resting going on.

Edited by redkow97

p.s. - just watched that Mid-O video of the EX500, and I am shocked it even had to brake for T1 :D

he also rolled off in Thunder Valley for no apparent reason. Gotta be on the gas there whether you can see where the track goes or not! :D

Thanks for the answers guys. What i was trying to say was am i going to get to go out more then once if i wanted too, and you both answered that. I understand you couldnt run for 7hrs straight. Use to do some woods riding so i kinda understand what its like. I would like to do some track days, but like everything else i get into, i will just spend lots and lots of money so we will have to see. Living in columbus, it will be quite a drive to get to some of these tracks

Thanks for the answers guys. What i was trying to say was am i going to get to go out more then once if i wanted too, and you both answered that. I understand you couldnt run for 7hrs straight. Use to do some woods riding so i kinda understand what its like. I would like to do some track days, but like everything else i get into, i will just spend lots and lots of money so we will have to see. Living in columbus, it will be quite a drive to get to some of these tracks

Mid Ohio is close to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mid-Ohio is also $200 a day. BeaveRun is more like $170, and Nelson is $125. Putnam was $155 last year, and I want to say Gingerman was $150.

The gas money to get there counts for something for sure, but so does variety.

Racing fees have been less than I expected too, and they're the same at every track. I'm registered for 4 races (over 2 days), and that will get me 6 practice sessions too. Total price is $270. That's $70 less than 2 trackdays at the same track would have cost.

I'd have to break it down into cost per lap, but at expensive tracks (NJMP, Mid-O, Barber), I'm betting it's closer than you'd think.

I have never riden a motorcycle at Mid-Ohio but I have driven a formula car there for many years. Trust me when I say you will never get bored with M-O, the track is techincal and fun to drive. I cannot image that this would be any different on a motorcycle. The other thing that I really like about M-O is seems to be one of the safest tracks in the area. Just my .02.

Shad

Yeah m-o is the closest as i live on the west side of columbus. The thing that sucks though is if the event starts at 7am then i would have to be packed up and leave by 4:30-5am. Not really that big of a deal. I would love to do it but would also need a trailer and would perfer to have a bike specific to a track so i wouldnt have to tape off lights and ect.

What is the average cost to rest suits at these tracks?

Mid-Ohio is also $200 a day. BeaveRun is more like $170, and Nelson is $125. Putnam was $155 last year, and I want to say Gingerman was $150.

The gas money to get there counts for something for sure, but so does variety.

Racing fees have been less than I expected too, and they're the same at every track. I'm registered for 4 races (over 2 days), and that will get me 6 practice sessions too. Total price is $270. That's $70 less than 2 trackdays at the same track would have cost.

I'd have to break it down into cost per lap, but at expensive tracks (NJMP, Mid-O, Barber), I'm betting it's closer than you'd think.

Actually with the Ohio Riders Discount Mid O is only $185.. Plus they give you hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, and cookies at lunch. Not to mention a T shirt on your first trackday and NO membership fee...

ALSO columbus people prob save a TOn of money in gas getting there instead of tracks a little further.

MID O is a GREAT DEAL!

Plus they give you hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, and cookies at lunch.

Food was great, but when combined with 95 degrees with no canopy, this makes for a nice after lunch mental awareness breakdown. For me anyway:)

Food was great, but when combined with 95 degrees with no canopy, this makes for a nice after lunch mental awareness breakdown. For me anyway:)

GARAGE FTW!!!! A garage is a no brainer, especially with a small group 3 or 4. You get shade, power, air, etc. Its a win!

Very much worth it!

Way cheaper than driving to Nelson or Beaver :D

Weren't you the one pushing Nelson in another thread?:)

I really want to do Nelson, primarily because I've never done an SST day yet. I've heard (from you and many others) that they are very good w newbs. Definitely want some one on one stuff. But I looked it up last night and realized just how far it is from me. Prob gonna lose any savings on the $125 verses $195 in fuel

Costs. Decisions decisions.