Zaleski state forest free shooting range

wicked94s10

Just posting this up for anyone interested in a free place to shoot. Located at the Zaleski state forest just a couple miles south of Lake Hope on rt 278. You can shoot anything except Centerfire Rifles. Closed at dark like all state parks. Its only about 25 miles south of Logan so there are some good roads in the area, makes for a nice day of shooting and riding all in one

2011-06-11_17-58-41_190.jpg

2011-06-11_18-22-04_460.jpg

2011-06-11_18-56-43_800.jpg

• Upvote 1

You can shoot anything except Centerfire Rifles.

I used to go there (and Strouds Run Range) when I lived in Athens many years back...Don't remember that rule, though. Of course, I don't remember much of that era, either.

Yeah there are state run sites close by but I have a problem with the amount they charge for me setting my tent up. Primitive site with no water or electric is almost $25 per night. seems kinda high for tenting. they have cabins for like $10 a night more.

Never camped there, but the last time I was up that way (looooong time ago) it was put-$5-in-the-envelope-and-drop-it-in-the-box. All my camping anymore is on family property in southern Ohio or the prairie in South Dakota.

Thinking about just doing the aep coal land down off rt 83 it is free. Just a bit of a drive to get there. All you need is to print out a form to have on you about the rules. Yote this is why I am trying to buy some land, I am tired of paying others to use there land.