Getting cut off by a semi STINKS!!! (pic) and story.

bertman85

SO i was going on a ride with my wife after dinner this evening and was cut off on a 90 degree corner by a delivery box truck. Grabbed a handful of front brake and locked the rear and still slammed into his rear bumper (that was as high as my headlight) as he was passing. The truck was 100% at fault, he didnt even look and he was cookin! I managed to keep the bike up after all this and safely pulled on the side of the road. I only have bruises/crapes on my right wrist and a few cuts on my right knee. My wife stepped off the bike with no more than a bad memory (thanks again Lord!!!). The dude tried to talk his way out of being at fault but the cops weren't having it. he got sited. The dude never once said sorry!Who almost kills two people with terrible driving and doesn't at least drop a sorry? Some people are unbelievable. Oh well, thanks to the good lord we live to ride another day.

Sounds like an angle was watching over the two of you. Glad your both okay and remember when the insurance says' they'll only give you half the bikes value that you might need medical attention for whip lash and your wife is having headaches since the accident.

Sounds like an angle was watching over the two of you. Glad your both okay and remember when the insurance says' they'll only give you half the bikes value that you might need medical attention for whip lash and your wife is having headaches since the accident.

yeah, a right angle...:rolleyes:

glad you are ok, get that steed fixed and get to ridin'.

SO i was going on a ride with my wife after dinner this evening and was cut off on a 90 degree corner by a delivery box truck. Grabbed a handful of front brake and locked the rear and still slammed into his rear bumper (that was as high as my headlight) as he was passing. The truck was 100% at fault, he didnt even look and he was cookin! I managed to keep the bike up after all this and safely pulled on the side of the road. I only have bruises/crapes on my right wrist and a few cuts on my right knee. My wife stepped off the bike with no more than a bad memory (thanks again Lord!!!). The dude tried to talk his way out of being at fault but the cops weren't having it. he got sited. The dude never once said sorry!Who almost kills two people with terrible driving and doesn't at least drop a sorry? Some people are unbelievable. Oh well, thanks to the good lord we live to ride another day.

When I was in sale and driving a company car, our company policy was to never apologize if you are in an accident. Even if you know you are at fault, saying sorry implies you are guilty and they were afraid it would be used against them in court. We were to take our ticket and fight it on court.

^^ THIS.

Your insurance company will advise you to never communicate anything that makes it look like you are at fault. No apologies, no admissions of traffic violations, etc. Truck driver could be fired if he does anything that makes it difficult for their insurance company to defend the claim. Of course his claim sounds to be indefensible anyway, but that's beside the point.

It's all very stupid, I mean if you rear-end someone at a red light then they judge won't say; "He never said sorry, it can't be his fault." Nor will he say; "You said sorry after you got rear-ended, therefore I blame you".

In cases where a driver changes his or her story hours or days after the accident an uttered apology might make a judge suspect that the driver knew he or she was at fault at the time of the accident and before thinking up a BS story... But that kind of statement would be heresay anyway (And a good lawyer will shoot down that testimony in a heartbeat). The truck driver could easy say that you were doing 150mph and then tell the insurance company that you apologized for speeding. It's all BS.

That's why I run a camera on the bike all the time.

Edited by Scruit

Glad you are okay!

Just to clarify a box truck is not a semi. Many box trucks do not require a cdl to drive if they do not have air brakes or over 33,000 lbs GVW. Box trucks constantly cit me off and i drive a 18 or 22 wheel semi.

Ditto on the apology we are instructed to not even talk to other parties in an accident except to check for injuries and obtain necessary information.

Yeah, glad to hear everyone involved is ok. Oh yeah, sorry.

Maybe you will be able to get her back on the bike for another ride one of these days.

No way, sportbikes are meant to be ridden solo, tell her to get her own bike!