Sears Torque Wrenchs

r1crusher

Sears has a number of torque wrenches on sale right now for good prices. Everyone knows that proper bike maintenance requires the use of a torque wrench. Get out and get one for your garage if you don't already have one...I do. :D

Slickdeals - Sears Torque Wrenchs

• Upvote 1

i have one of the 3/8 wrenches. when i got it the handle was off and not accurate with the foot pounds you were trying to set it at, took it back and they gave me a new one. never had a problem with it. keep it in the case, keep and clean and dont drop it and it will last forever. going to go get the 1/2 one, need one that goes higher than 100 foot pounds

I'm as serious as the apostrophe and the letter 'e' missing in your sentence.

It has nothing to do with torx screws. Fasteners and particular metals has specific torque specs that they can handle and are suppose to be tighten at. If you constantly over torque or tighten the bolts improperly you take the chance of stripping the thread, snapping the bolt, etc. The more and more times you do it on bolts such as caliper bolts that you remove and install on a regular basis then you can take the chance of increase the risk.

It has nothing to do with torx screws. Fasteners and particular metals has specific torque specs that they can handle and are suppose to be tighten at. If you constantly over torque or tighten the bolts improperly you take the chance of stripping the thread, snapping the bolt, etc. The more and more times you do it on bolts such as caliper bolts that you remove and install on a regular basis then you can take the chance of increase the risk.

So how many torx screws are these rated for? How many HP does it add to the bike...lets say if I went with the 1/2 vs the 3/8th?

craftsman tools have gone way way down hill. I have some that are over 20 years old and they're still fine, but I have a few new ones that I've had to return a few times already.

I broke a 1/2 ratchet with barely 60 ft/lbs. then I broke the one they replaced it with a few months later.

jesus, I bet the harbor freight junk would work as good as craftsman stuff does these days.

I wouldn't bother with one of their torque wrenches. there isn't really much on your bike you NEED to use it on. unless you're into building the engine, there isn't anything else you really absolutely need it for.

and if you're using one on a oil drain plug or spark plug...You're an IDIOT!

Edited by serpentracer

LoL... the last part especially for me? :p

For the rest of you:

The Sears wrench may be just fine' date=' but how do you know for sure unless you've had it inspected? Did it come with a calibration test result? Have you taken it to a calibration company and had it serviced? If not, you have no idea what you're torquing, and to what specs.[/quote']

Are you saying my cheap harbor freight torque' wrench is whack? :(