craft helmets

John

anyone have any experience with them? ive looked online but havent found a lot of info on them. read the webbikeworld review though...

the snap neck strap seems kind of iffy, but they are DOT approved, and made in germany, which id guess makes them TUV compliant as well, which ive heard is very strict...

they look pretty cool though

Helmschwarz_03rgb_rx6_12x12.jpg

121-592-main-cobra2-15.jpg

here is their plastic snap buckle

craft-helmets-buckle.jpg

2160597578835549271e3101e421855b_rough.jpg

chromed out

rx6%20chrome.jpg

TUV isn't the same as BSI or the ECE rating that helmets like Suomy and others have. Look to be a similar item as say THH or similar. Pieces of shit essentially... The top two and last are car based lids due to the way the eye ports are and such. The third one is the only motorcycle based one...

Don't waste your time. You'd be better off buying a non SNELL helmet like HJC has instead of these...

Don't buy a Sparks, though!!!:eek:

if they are not snell certified i wouldnt even think about it. sure they perform well enough in a crash, but snell takes into cosideration the visibility of the driver/rider and there crash test ratings are far more superior to those of the dot guys. let me put it this way, if the racers need to develop their own helmet certification group because the dot standards are not up to snuff why would you buy a standard dot helmet? if its not safe enough for the track its not safe enough for the road.

believe it or not a decent amount of helmets are snell certified. hjc would probably be the most inexpensive brand of snell certified helmets out there for just a heads up.

and imo those helmets are not that good looking....... just my two cents though, to each his own.

if they are not snell certified i wouldnt even think about it. sure they perform well enough in a crash, but snell takes into cosideration the visibility of the driver/rider and there crash test ratings are far more superior to those of the dot guys. let me put it this way, if the racers need to develop their own helmet certification group because the dot standards are not up to snuff why would you buy a standard dot helmet? if its not safe enough for the track its not safe enough for the road.

believe it or not a decent amount of helmets are snell certified. hjc would probably be the most inexpensive brand of snell certified helmets out there for just a heads up.

and imo those helmets are not that good looking....... just my two cents though, to each his own.

SNELL certification isn't always the best form of testing. I mean, an $80 Fulmer has the same SNELL rating as a $700 Arai... There needs to be better testing and different levels of certification. BSI and ECE testing involves batch testing whereas SNELL is a blanket test and the helmet companies buy the SNELL sticker. Not jabbing at SNELL as a SNELL helmet is better than a non SNELL lid most times, but SNELL isn't the only form of testing out there and they certainly aren't the best...

this is what craft says about SNELL cert:

Craft helmets carry ECE and DOT Certification. We do not bother to have Snell Test them. Snell is a Company in the US that Charges helmet companies to test helmets. Our helmets are approved for World Superbike and Moto GP. Craft helmets Exceed Snell guidelines and Craft coming from Europe sees no reason to pay Snell for their sticker.

i was just wondering if anyone has ever used them or known anyone who has? i guess they havent been out in the states for very long though.

those are cool looking helmets

+1 for spending a little extra for higher quality helmet. definitely not something you want to worry about

what helmet are you wearing now?

i have an HJC CL-15 now. its been pretty good to me. never had to test its capabilities, knock on wood.

SNELL certification isn't always the best form of testing. I mean, an $80 Fulmer has the same SNELL rating as a $700 Arai...

so this leads me to ask this question then:

is there hard evidence that a $700 DOT and SNELL approved Arai/Suomy/Shoei etc protects your head better in a crash than say a $100 DOT and SNELL approved HJC?

SNELL certification isn't always the best form of testing. I mean, an $80 Fulmer has the same SNELL rating as a $700 Arai... There needs to be better testing and different levels of certification. BSI and ECE testing involves batch testing whereas SNELL is a blanket test and the helmet companies buy the SNELL sticker. Not jabbing at SNELL as a SNELL helmet is better than a non SNELL lid most times, but SNELL isn't the only form of testing out there and they certainly aren't the best...

wow, now i feel like a retard....

i actually thought the snell rating meant something:moo:

alrighty then. thanks for the eye opener.

i have an HJC CL-15 now. its been pretty good to me. never had to test its capabilities, knock on wood.

so this leads me to ask this question then:

is there hard evidence that a $700 DOT and SNELL approved Arai/Suomy/Shoei etc protects your head better in a crash than say a $100 DOT and SNELL approved HJC?

Suomy has made SNELL status, but doesn't pay for the sticker. They show the BSI certification which is MUCH more thorough...

The point about SNELL Arais vs. Fulmers is that yes, there is a difference between a $700 lid and an $80 lid. It is all in how they are made, composites used and to what degree they accel.

These Craft lids are meeting ECE according to what you posted. That means they are probably just as good as any HJC or similar here. Buy at your own risk. Personally, I use helmets that are tested via racing applications and their R&D testers are top level racers. Haven't seen a Craft lid floating around anywhere...

wow, now i feel like a retard....

i actually thought the snell rating meant something:moo:

alrighty then. thanks for the eye opener.

It does mean something. I was just saying that the BSI standard goes a bit further. They test a few things that SNEL doesn't - like an oblique impact. An oblique impact is similar to a majority of crashes. SNELL does the ol' center impact on the top of the helmet. Ever landed straight up and down on your head? Most the time, it is off center and more frontal or backside if whipped from snapping your head back...

I just find it weird that we seem to think SNELL is so great. They at least do more tests than not, but because they approve such dramatically different helmet designs and composites, it gets sorta grey...

Buying a SNELL helmet is a good idea, but if you want a little better choice, read how a helmet is made and what is in the composite materials and you'll want an Arai or similar over a Fulmer or similar...

It does mean something. I was just saying that the BSI standard goes a bit further. They test a few things that SNEL doesn't - like an oblique impact. An oblique impact is similar to a majority of crashes. SNELL does the ol' center impact on the top of the helmet. Ever landed straight up and down on your head? Most the time, it is off center and more frontal or backside if whipped from snapping your head back...

i actually have landed on the top of my head before.....

but i understand what you are saying now. it would make more sense to test the oblique impacts more than just the top of the helmet.