Quietest CHEAP generator? (or cheapest quiet generator)

redkow97

After racing this weekend, I am tempting fate by going into T1 on a cold front tire. I probably won't remedy that this season unless I borrow warmers, but I'm going to be watching for generators.

Ideally, I want a 2400 peak/2000 watt continuous output. 90% of the time, I plan to just power 1 set of warmers, and then any 'stuff' I have around (like a fan and a radio). But given the opportunity to ride-share with someone, I would like to be able to power a second set of warmers (in a perfect world).

So, I know I can spend $900+ and get a 2000 watt Honda inverter generator, and I am finding big ole ugly 3000 watt generators on CraigsList for $175.

I need something in between.

Quiet and cheap are the two major criteria, and I know it's going to be a give and take. I'm inclined to lean toward 'cheap.'

So what's decently quiet for ~$200? (yes, I've seen the one in the classifieds for $250; I just don't need one that big...)

FYI - if anyone has a 1200-2400 watt generator, I will trade either of my leather suits for sale (plus some cash if it's reasonable) for the right model.

I really only NEED to power 1 set of warmers...

The one you got from the trade show or did you get a different one now? The one you got from the trade show though is a sweet deal

still the same one.. I'm thinking about the Yami 2400, but not sure if I can justify.. The one I have is great, its just heavier and bigger than I want..

still the same one.. I'm thinking about the Yami 2400, but not sure if I can justify.. The one I have is great, its just heavier and bigger than I want..

Well if you want to check a Yami 2400 you can see mine

champion is what i'm looking into at the moment.

you could always do what i do and just pit with someone who has a genny and throw them a couple bones for gas, then you don't have to throwdown for an expensive generator right away.

interesting. what does something like that run? I could use it as a semi permanent installation around the house as well...

Generally $1800-$2000. If I keep my trailer, I'm seriously thinking about adding this to it.

Cough cough, just see what Warlock said. I bet he bought that generator, put oil in it, filled it with gas, hooked it up, 1st or 2nd pull out of box start.

Everytime. PS I ave mine for sale still, but most likely only until tonight....

I am consulting the wife/accountant.

If this comes out of my trackday fund, then I don't think I can swing it. If it comes out of our regular checking account, I'm sold.

if it's 50/50, I think I'm still sold...

Cough cough, just see what Warlock said. I bet he bought that generator, put oil in it, filled it with gas, hooked it up, 1st or 2nd pull out of box start.

Everytime. PS I ave mine for sale still, but most likely only until tonight....

Yep. .6 qt oil, few gallons of gas to test and "break in." Screwed in the spark arrestor. Turn on fuel, turn on engine switch, set choke, one pull and it's running. Unit weighs about 120 pounds wet. Plugged in the camper and flipped the switch to 120 and fired up the AC in the camper. Ran most all weekend on about 6 gallons of gas. I ran it during the day but the nights were so pleasant we open windows and shut off electric. I parked my dually on the driver's side of the trailer and put the gen set on the other side of the dually. Never heard the gen set.

Yep, I found I can actually put the gen. at the front of the TT chained to the tongue, and sleep in the back bedroom and never know it's running. 28 ft trailer. The other bed on the front couch, you hear it buzz but that is about it.

Warlock, my other one I run, finally had the oil shut off last time I used it, probably because I've never checked it since I added oil, last Sept. Added it back to full, donr and done. 5 continous days, off 2 nights, and less than 15 gallons of fuel running 2 trailers, so max load.

Best investment I've made for something like this.