Traffic

madcat6183

Chicago. /thread

I believe that the original poster is not stating that columbus has the most congestion or highest number of cars on the roadways. He is expressing his concern with the poor driving etiquette and general lack of abilities

I believe that the original poster is not stating that columbus has the most congestion or highest number of cars on the roadways. He is expressing his concern with the poor driving etiquette and general lack of abilities

+1

Lots of places have stop and go gridlock which would cause me to go berserk if I had to deal with it everyday. The traffic around Chicago, and any east coast city are good examples. However, I have found that for the most part people there are agressive, but predictable. You just can't do much if you can't move more than 5mph. Around here its the poor driving decisions usually at higher speeds that get me pissed off.

Yes, I am not stating congestions, cars per capita, etc. simply the ignorance of the drivers we have. I dont mind sitting in traffic for a VALID reason, in Cbus, I never have any.

People gaping(rubbernecking) all the time, at the cruiser pulled over on the right, from the far left lane, and vise versa. This is fun though, I love seeing peoples responses.

Ohio has some very f'd up drivers but it seems every area / city has it's issues. San Fran on I-80 is the only place I've seen four cars line up and block a whole highway from passing for miles behind them. Charleston SC is the home of the faster than you are drivers. You pass anyone and they need to speed up and either overtake you or block you from moving right again. NY is home to the I didn't see you drivers who think there isn't anyone else around them when changing lanes and the I wanted to be a police officer driver who feels the need to block you if you are speeding because it's their civic duty since 911. I'll give Louisville an honorable mention as home of the race car driver who feels life is a video game. More speed racer style drivers zig zagging and hard accelerating through traffic.

My list of bad driver techniques:

1. I'm on the phone,yelling at the kids, looking for the french fry I dropped distracted driver

2. I was here first driver, self explanatory

3. The 65 is the speed limit not speed minimum driver, usually an old fuck with wrap around glasses doing the weekly run to play bingo.

4. The I'm bigger than you are pickup or truck driver also known as small penis syndrome.

5. Pimp driver in 30 yo car. So cool they can ignore the rules of the road.

6. Just a minute driver, often seen parked on country roads next to their buddy blocking both lanes so they can have a Walmart entry way chat.

7. And always popular in summer the party bus driver. Any vehicle packed with teens capable of doing anything they've seen in a movie. Opening a car door on you, throwing an object from the vehicle at you, or just plane old try to run you over because it sounds fun.

8. Last one is the, "I know this lane is closed ahead but I'll squeeze in ahead" driver. Always popular people around road construction.:nono:

here's another thing that i think is important to recognize/remember.

we ALL have done something wrong driving before. cut someone off, turned in front of them etc. everyone. but when YOU do it, you rationalize it as just an honest mistake. oh i didnt see him coming, oh i was messing with the radio, oh i didnt realize the light was changing. my bad.

but when SOMEONE ELSE does it, we instantly assume malice. that fucker cut me off!!!!!!11

why is this? why do we think that its was just an honest mistake when we do it, but when someone else does it they are a fucking asshole who did it on purpose with absolutely no regard for anyone else, and we start frothing at the mouth and shaking our fish. how come YOU can make an honest mistake, but no one else can?

I think that's presumptuous. I think it is the reaction of the offending driver after the event that is telling. Pass someone on the right and three miles later their still in the left lane means they don't get the hint. Pass someone and they speed up and give you that "Oh, no you don't" look as you go by. GUILTY! Get flipped the bird after the event? I think your safe to assume it's personal.

I dont think its that presumptuious at all. given that something like 80 90% of people rate themselves as above average drivers. look up illusory superiority.

granted in your 2 examples if they give you an indication of malice then its fairly safe to assume. most of the time people dont shoot the bird to you as they cut you off

I think that's presumptuous. I think it is the reaction of the offending driver after the event that is telling. Pass someone on the right and three miles later their still in the left lane means they don't get the hint. Pass someone and they speed up and give you that "Oh, no you don't" look as you go by. GUILTY! Get flipped the bird after the event? I think your safe to assume it's personal.

ose

I'm also not a fan of the people that just try to 1-up me because I'm on a motorcycle. I'm doing 75 in a 65 in the left lane all by myself with nobody around me and I get blown past by a dude doing 85 in a truck in the next lane over.

Maybe their just pissed because you're in the passing lane and not passing anyone:)

The biggest bitch I have about Ohio drivers is the way they cross lanes though intersections. That drives me absofuckinglutely batshit crazy. Stay in your lane' date=' dipshit. :nono:[/quote']

HOLY SHIT I thought I was the only one who had a problem with that

I will admit I have done stupid things, but I will also be the guy out there who signals my apology, like cutting throttle in a turn at the track, and putting your hand up real fast when you set it upright, letting the guy behind you know you are sorry. I do the same thing in my car, everytime. My commuter car does not get up to speed real well, so when I enter the highway I purposly hug the right line, even once I get on the highway, if someone wants to shoot around me I am happy to let them go and often do.

I always let people know I made the mistake, no questions asked. It's the polite thing to do.

I dont think its that presumptuious at all. given that something like 80 90% of people rate themselves as above average drivers. look up illusory superiority.

Thinking your a good driver has little to do with obeying the rules of the road. The old lady who never speeds and has no tickets thinks she's a good driver even though the fender is dented from backing into light poles at Walmart and side door is scratched from backing out of the garage.

Like the guy in Gahanna last night on the news. Ramed a girl twice because she was going too slow but told police she was driving unsafely. Argued to the point he was put in cuffs and taken for a ride. Bet he "thought" he was a good driver too.:rolleyes:

I will admit I have done stupid things, but I will also be the guy out there who signals my apology, like cutting throttle in a turn at the track, and putting your hand up real fast when you set it upright, letting the guy behind you know you are sorry. I do the same thing in my car, everytime. My commuter car does not get up to speed real well, so when I enter the highway I purposly hug the right line, even once I get on the highway, if someone wants to shoot around me I am happy to let them go and often do.

I always let people know I made the mistake, no questions asked. It's the polite thing to do.

I even wave thank you all the time when people let me over. My one friend from out of town asked what the hell I was doing and told me I'm too nice.

I hate the lack of turn signals everywhere I go! I use mine even if im going to turn down a parking lane at the mall or wally world. I consider my self a pretty good driver and I think everyone else in general sucks around middletown- tri county area. I give ample room when i merge and signal before hand, wait till im out of an intersection to change lanes as well. I speed like i stole it some times but if Im going 5-15 over and i catch up behind a car going the speed limit i slow down and give 2 car spaces if they are driving 5 under im on their ass lol. I let people over if they turn on a turn signal and look towards me in their mirror and I like a wave for it too ( dont get it all that much) but if I see some f*cker flying up on the right to get in the left cause the road ends or something F*ck them they have to wait. My biggest thing is turn signals and texting/ messing with something and not looking at the road. yes I text while in a car but only at COMPLETE stops otherwise I wait or dictate to the passenger what to send back if anything.

even people without cell phones don't know how to check their mirrors or judge how quickly a vehicle is coming up on them. I hate when I'm stuck behind someone and not ONCE do they check their mirror for miles.

I drive like what most people would call an asshole 90% of the time. However, I check my mirrors, I get out of the way for faster moving traffic and I've only ever been in one accident that was my fault. I just take it as I'm better than everyone else, which really doesn't come as a shock to me.

I also have been known for being a super asshole and doing the "Ohio Pass". Pass them on the right and then get back over far too close to their front bumper for their comfort. I then watch my mirror to see the reaction which is normally funny. This only happens when I'm super pissed off but never to elderly, I think it'd give them a heart attack.

ha are we brothers?

How about the people who enter the highway at like ten mph slower than the posted speed limit messing up the entire flow of traffic already going the proper speed. Or in reverse... they slow down to like 50 a mile before the exit. I road rage daily. Left laners get the long honk of my f150 horn till they move over. Center lane drag racers are the worst too... i'll keep going faster till i get by. Unless i hit the limiter.

I will say that Ohio has some of the shortest on ramps I've ever seen. 315 S from Henderson, also the 315 S from the hospital.

My biggest peeve is people using the turning lane to merge in to traffic. Up this way we don't have too bad of a congestion problem in Y-town or Boardman, but the idiots the pull out in to the turning lane and just sit there waiting to merge chap my ass.

I always try to drive in the middle lane on 270 just because I can't tell you how many times I have about been smashed by someone trying to merge and not paying attention to the flow of traffic. The drivers around here are terrible, I despise riding my bike on 270/670/315 and avoid those highways at all cost. I don't care if it adds 20 minutes to my commute, I won't ride with those idiots unless I absolutely have to.

It is much worse in Cincy compared to columbus, there was a freight train of people today in the left lane on my way to the hospital, with the far right lane completely empty...makes no sense...

• Upvote 1

it is much worse in cincy compared to columbus, there was a freight train of people today in the left lane on my way to the hospital, with the far right lane completely empty...makes no sense...

this!!!

My biggest peeve is people using the turning lane to merge in to traffic. Up this way we don't have too bad of a congestion problem in Y-town or Boardman, but the idiots the pull out in to the turning lane and just sit there waiting to merge chap my ass.

You mean using the suicide lane? That's why it's there... Unless you're at an intersection either direction of travel can use that lane.

Would you rather they just cut in front of you so you have to slam on your brakes?

I use the suicide lane in heavy traffic where there is no way that both ways will be clear for me to pull out.

You mean using the suicide lane? That's why it's there... Unless you're at an intersection either direction of travel can use that lane.

Would you rather they just cut in front of you so you have to slam on your brakes?

I use the suicide lane in heavy traffic where there is no way that both ways will be clear for me to pull out.

It is illegal to use that lane as a merge point. Where I used to work I'd see OSP write several tickets a day because of this. The arrows in that lane point to the left only, indicating it is a turn lane.

If I can't get across all the lanes, I usually go right and get to a light where I can get turned around.

We are lucky up here, and there isn't usually a time where waiting a a minute or so won't leave you with an opening.