kahr .40 compact

Helmutt

So I just bought a Kahr .40 compact for my wife ( Bday gift ) for her to carry after getting her CCW. Heard some good stuff about this company and this particular model seems very popular, so we assumed it would be a good weapon for her as it fits her nicely and was a good budget buy.

We get home and she starts to disassemble the gun only to find metal shavings in the slide as well as plastic shavings from the polymer frame........really?........I thought this was a quality piece from a quality company? Have we been duped here?

We looked closer and seems like the action and internals are all clean, snug and tight ( definitely needs a couple hundred round break-in to loosen it up ) but I'm discouraged that Kahr failed to clean up their mess before QC ok'd this weapon to ship out........or, maybe I'm expecting too much from a $400 purchase? She got it all cleaned up and it's ready to go to the range for some fun, and until we're that far I won't know how this thing will perform........but so far........I'm not impressed with it.

Youre complaining about standard stuff. Go shoot and and see if their are problems. Also, the small kahr frame in .40 is going to be a bit much for recoil.

Wifes hands are small but strong so the compact fits her well and the thin grip help to get her hand around the weapon better IMO. We'll get it to the range and see how she likes it and how it likes being shot a lot ;) I did see that they micropolished the chamber and feed but doesnt mean much to a rifle/shotgun/bow guy since I dont know the common practice in handgun manufacturing.....the few handguns Dad had when I was growing up were all revolvers

Not much more than my .38 special revolver. I can handle recoil I just don't like a gun that jams easy

Nothing was said about jamming so not sure where youre getting that from. And yes more then your 38 as it weighs less, is thinner, and larger caliber.

Thoughts on 10mm? Settled for the .40 cw.

No need for a 10mm, til we get this new .40 broke in and see how it goes......$400 aint nothing to wipe with and go for another weapon already. Babysteps:D

Wifes hands are small but strong so the compact fits her well and the thin grip help to get her hand around the weapon better IMO. We'll get it to the range and see how she likes it and how it likes being shot a lot ;) I did see that they micropolished the chamber and feed but doesnt mean much to a rifle/shotgun/bow guy since I dont know the common practice in handgun manufacturing.....the few handguns Dad had when I was growing up were all revolvers

The thin grip would be even more suitable in a 9mm. Im a firm believer that its not the caliber, its the shooter. Im an avid shooter and I would not have any problems carrying a 9mm over a 40.

For the average person who doesnt shoot much, the .40 doesnt provide them any benefit, especially in a small frame firearm due to the increased recoil.

Nothing was said about jamming so not sure where youre getting that from. And yes more then your 38 as it weighs less, is thinner, and larger caliber.

True, but my wife might surprise you;)

She's a little powerhouse for 5ft - she has to be living with me:D we'll see, got plenty of ammo to burn and see how she does

The thin grip would be even more suitable in a 9mm. Im a firm believer that its not the caliber, its the shooter. Im an avid shooter and I would not have any problems carrying a 9mm over a 40.

For the average person who doesnt shoot much, the .40 doesnt provide them any benefit, especially in a small frame firearm due to the increased recoil.

We might consider that later on since my purchase will be a matching caliber to hers so we can share ammo and keep the fun a bit cheaper

I never thought of it that way when I got my XD40sc. I'm not unhappy with the choice by any means, but 9mm ammo IS cheaper!

If the .40cw doesn't agree with her, we may try a 9mm - she asked for the .40 but hasn't had much experience with them.......I was secretly glad she chose the .40 as I want to look into getting the XDM40 for myself and would be a nice perk to be able to share ammo........but if the .40 isn't what she wants afterall, and would rather a 9mm then I may look into a 9 for myself

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I found out... I email kahr and they say its normal to have small chips. However I contacted old english and they are going to give it a good cleaning and test it since I am unsatisfied. I am going the 29th to the range and puting a couple hundred rounds through it...break in!

Went to old english and they pulled another gun off the shelf. It also had some shavings,but we found out the pin was to long by about .005 and it was not chamfered with the correct deg. So they replaced it and now it is safe to fire.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the range put 100 through and I here is what I found...

Keep in mind this was the first 100 this gun has ever fired

Reloads do not work well, I had several jam.

It also would not return to battery (reloads) after ever shot.

The kick isn't to bad and it did fire smoothly...

I took the gun back to old english and had them give it another look over as well as they put a few round through it with no problem (new ammo).