Michigan no helmet law pending...

ReconRat

Not passed yet. For 21yo and older, no helmet required. But...

Legislation has added an amendment requiring those who choose to ride without a helmet to purchase $100,000 in medical payment coverage.

oops...

The opposing opinion was that the state would have to be paying out for the medical expenses of all the no helmet no insurance high cost accidents.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/abate_not_pleased_with_motorcy.html

http://www.freep.com/article/20110630/OPINION05/106300420/Opposing-points-view-Ending-Michigan-s-mandatory-helmet-law-would-cost-everyone-who-pays-insurance-rates

http://www.examiner.com/motorcycles-in-national/michigan-helmet-law-repeal-dollars-sense-and-personal-responsibility

I think requiring people to do __________ if they don't wear a helmet is legislating the wrong party.

Just make a law that says, "you don't have to wear a helmet, but if you don't, emergency medical staff will assist others first."

so if 2 riders crash on opposite sides of town, the one wearing a helmet gets the ambulance, and the other guys takes his chances (again).

discrimination! Should be treated like all emergencies from the worst case first. If I eat fast food everyday and have a heart attack at the same time as a healthier person has one jogging should they treat them first? Do I need addtional life insurance? The hospitals bill you no matter what. Again I must say Freedom of choice!

discrimination! Should be treated like all emergencies from the worst case first. If I eat fast food everyday and have a heart attack at the same time as a healthier person has one jogging should they treat them first? Do I need addtional life insurance? The hospitals bill you no matter what. Again I must say Freedom of choice!

I'm all for freedom of choice; I endorse no helmet laws for the same reason I endorse no seat belt laws. However, the issue here is Michigan's no-fault insurance policy which means in the end that everyone has to pay more money. Its not an issue of hospitals, its an issue of insurance companies. Since they will keep their bottom lines the same, they will just increase rates due to higher payouts. I shouldn't have to pay for others' choices, they should. The same reason that a person applying for a ccw needs to pay fees and class costs; they have to pay to exercise their right. It may not be perfect, but it is ideal.