Canon 60D DSLR ?

cmh_sprint

I'm a Nikon man myself, but having said that- Canon is the largest manufacturer in the camera industry. DSLRs are going to give you better results than any point and shoots- hands down.

It's priced very well. The lcd screen swivel is Mickey Mouse, but that would be the main issue I had with the camera. The dial is going to be very similar to what you were used to with the Elan II as well.

I currently have a T2i and after seeing the T3i I wish I'd of waited for it. Either way, you're going to get many years of use out of a good quality DSLR. There isn't a lot of difference between the 60D and new T3i. Not enough for me to spend the extra $100 MSRP on it personally. Head over to the Canon website, find those two models, and do a comparison of them to see what I mean.

You'll probably never reach the full potential of a any D series or T series for that matter. I know I won't with mt T2i.

I'm a Nikon man myself, but having said that- Canon is the largest manufacturer in the camera industry. DSLRs are going to give you better results than any point and shoots- hands down.

It's priced very well. The lcd screen swivel is Mickey Mouse, but that would be the main issue I had with the camera. The dial is going to be very similar to what you were used to with the Elan II as well.

Pfftt... Like you'd know anything about it... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, any of the prosumer and above Canon's are good. I have a 40D myself (got it about the time the 50D's came out, and couldn't be found, IIRC) and I love it. I need to get some better off camera lighting, and learn how to use the damn thing and I'll be good.

I've been wanting a DSLR for a while myself its just a huge investment. I keep letting guns and a motorcycle get in the way. I've drooling over the NIKON d90 for over a year.

Skip the D90 and go with the D7000. Same motor in body so it can do any generation A/F lens, but 1080p HD video too, and the MP count is bumped up an extra six million pixels.

Skip the D90 and go with the D7000. Same motor in body so it can do any generation A/F lens, but 1080p HD video too, and the MP count is bumped up an extra six million pixels.

Shut up Nikon boy. The men are talking real cameras. :D

Not true. You need to know how yo use it or it might as well be a P&S.

I have a Sony A330 myself.

If a person can't adjust a dial to the green auto on a well marked out thumbdial, they should put themselves out of the gene pool for the good of humanity. Truth.:)

And Sony users are the red headed step child...:D

DSLR bodies are one expense but you'll shit bricks when you start getting into good glass. Some of Canon's non-L glass is getting pretty damn good.

Canon...enough said.

Also, if you really want to learn some stuff that will make your head spin sign up and take a gander around this site. Very good information and users.

Fred Miranda Photog Site

If a person can't adjust a dial to the green auto on a well marked out thumbdial, they should put themselves out of the gene pool for the good of humanity. Truth.:)

Lol. Just saying a dslr doesn't make you a professional photographer. And the auto setting is for newbs. ;)

Lol. Just saying a dslr doesn't make you a professional photographer. And the auto setting is for newbs. ;)

I'm not sure why they have an auto setting I don't use the auto setting on my superzoom.

:nono: Anybody that buys a DSLR and uses it in "green box" mode needs shot. That is what the P&S market is for.

I cannot argue that one. :D

DSLR bodies are one expense but you'll shit bricks when you start getting into good glass. Some of Canon's non-L glass is getting pretty damn good.

Canon...enough said.

Also, if you really want to learn some stuff that will make your head spin sign up and take a gander around this site. Very good information and users.

Fred Miranda Photog Site

:wtf: Getting pretty damn good? Wow, that's the first I've ever heard that! From what I've heard and read, they have a few "L" lenses that aren't much better than the low end, but the majority of them are worlds above! (Not bashing on what you said, I just hold L glass with a higher regard than... well... anything!)

For the Canon fanboy that I've become, there's an even better site out there:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

As much as I like L glass, the best I've been able to afford so far is Sigma's EX line. I have a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 24-70 f/2.8 and both are pretty good, and not far off from L glass.

This is where I have been stumped NIKON or Canon. Once I go one way or the either I'm kinda in it for the long haul because to switch brands would be an undertaking selling everything off. I hart been able to get over the hump and pick NIKON or Canon. I have had several people suggest pentax also. I'm basically lost!

I've always said - well, ever since Nikon lost me back in about '99, if you want to shoot something, use a Canon.

Elan lle brought me over. Great, great camera.

That IIe with the eye control was a crap camera. Have you noticed that technology went away? There was a reason for that... :nono::D

:wtf: Getting pretty damn good? Wow, that's the first I've ever heard that! From what I've heard and read, they have a few "L" lenses that aren't much better than the low end, but the majority of them are worlds above! (Not bashing on what you said, I just hold L glass with a higher regard than... well... anything!)

For the Canon fanboy that I've become, there's an even better site out there:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

As much as I like L glass, the best I've been able to afford so far is Sigma's EX line. I have a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 24-70 f/2.8 and both are pretty good, and not far off from L glass.

No where have I said the L lenses suck, they kick ass IMO. I'd kill to have a couple of them. It's that the quality of some of the regular lenses has gotten pretty damn close to some of the more expensive L lenses. So if you don't want to drop $1500 on a 70-300 L lens, just get the regular IS USM version and save $1000.

As for your preferred Sigma's, not going to knock them entirely. They have some good stuff as well, but when your camera starts doing some funky shit like not AF'ing and eventually kills your DSLR you'll be glad you saved some money on those knock off lenses. You get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

No where have I said the L lenses suck, they kick ass IMO. I'd kill to have a couple of them. It's that the quality of some of the regular lenses has gotten pretty damn close to some of the more expensive L lenses. So if you don't want to drop $1500 on a 70-300 L lens, just get the regular IS USM version and save $1000.

I must have misunderstood, I thought you said that the L's were getting good. I guess I should have taken it as the non-L's are getting good. One of my favorite lenses is the thrifty fifty, 50mm f/1.8. Mine's the original, not the MkII.

As for your preferred Sigma's, not going to knock them entirely. They have some good stuff as well, but when your camera starts doing some funky shit like not AF'ing and eventually kills your DSLR you'll be glad you saved some money on those knock off lenses. You get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

Canon L's would be my preferred, but Sigma EX is more within my budget for now! I even had to buy used Sigma's. I do get what you're saying though. Stuff like this is why it's important to do your homework. I check around to make sure that there aren't any known compatibility issues before making a purchase. So far, the 2 lenses and the 1.4x TC that I use have been rock solid, other than the coating peeling off the 70-200 (well known issue.)

I'd really like to look at getting a 1.4x TC, but even those little bastards are not cheap. I just need to concentrate on getting my lenses in order and getting proficient with them before I start getting little extras that I can for now live without.

This whole week will be a good time for me to give the camera a good workout. Kiawah Island, SC....lots of shit to shoot here.