gunsmith needed soon

Steve Butters

searched and only found two threads but they were for rifle repairs and fixing a pistol...

im ordering a set of Trijicon Bright and Tough Night Sites .... I need to find a gunsmith that can install them

HKs are notorious for aftermarket sights not fitting properly, and the sites need to be "trimmed" to fit...thats the case with heines, not sure about trijicons...

i need a really good shop, a recent post on an HK website im on has me kinda worried....

a guy on there took his in to a local gunsmith to get sights installed and it turned out like this

DSCN4213-1.jpg

instead of this

heinie014.jpg

these sights are too expensive to let some hack ruin them.....anybody know of a capable place to get this done? preferably in columbus or within 30 minutes of here

If they need trimmed, they are out of spec.. Sights should not need trimmed.

so you think i will be ok ordering from trijicon?

all heine sights for HKs need trimmed like the first pic i posted...except, that gunsmith butchered them

at least thats what im hearing on HKpro...most people there use heines but i think theyre ugly and want no part of them....but most people end up sending them to heine to get them installed because they dont fit properly.... not just a couple people, tons of people....

check out post #9

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/132183-heinie-sights-update-p30-hk45-hk45c.html

Edited by Steve Butters

I sent my slide to James at http://www.xd-hs2000.com/xd-hs2000/Welcome.html he is w great guy to deal with. I emailed back and forth with him several times before choosing him. He responded quick and was very knowledgeable and helpful. Quick turn around on install too.

thanks for the recomendation, but i want someone local...if i decide to send them out to get done, ill just have APW install the sights while my gun is there for HC plating....but they want about $70 for the install, which seems a bit high to me

$70 does seem high. It's hard to find a trustworthy gunsmith. I've read and heard lots of complaints about gunsmiths scratching up slides doing sight installs. My local dealer has a gunsmith he used but I have no experience with him. I would like to take a class it might be a nice side business. Good luck on the sights. I like the big dots on my Sig.

I almost traded for an HK, but I've never shot one. They are supposed to be very nice firearms. I understand your concern my firearms are my babies and I'm careful who I let touch them.

another post about heines

I just put a set of Heinie straight 8's on my P30. I haven't shot it yet but I do not believe the point of impact will change. The front sight is much higher but the rear is also taller to have it align up correctly.

I have a universal sight pusher that is useless on this pistol. Wound up using my vice & some drift punches. Not too bad getting the old ones out. But had to do some "smithing" to get the new ones in. Can't remember how much I had to take off the bottom of the sights ~ at least .007" both front & rear. The fun part was to take down the set screws almost by half their length with a stone in my Dremmel. They now fit flush with the sight. A little cold blue prior to assembly in all those parts did the trick. A nylon drift punch set them perfectly. Used a digital caliper to make sure they are centered like the factory sights were. The front sight may be .001 to the left but I'm sure it will be OK.

We'll find out soon!

im starting to think its just those sights...havent run across trijicon so far...and i think im going to avoid the mepro...i dont mind spending more on the trijicon, and the mepro look so cheap

I have changed the sites on my HK and had no issues Took the old ones off and swapped out to the new ones in a matter of 30 minutes... Being way too careful not to mar the finish... Had to use a flat head punch to get them to move out... Site tool was not nec. just tapped them out and used the site tool to start the others then tapped them back into place. Used the site vise to make the fine adjustments only.

But, by no means am I a gunsmith... Overzelus garage day inc guy... With way more tools than he needs.

Search for a gun smith... There is a guy in W.V. that does cutom 1911 work. He will do it for you, or maybe even call short action customs. Mark, might do it for you (I said might).

if i cant find someone in columbus i think ill probably wait and let APW Cogan do it....hate to mail my slide out twice and ill be sending it to APW sometime for HC plating so i may just send the sights with it and have them install them....they gotta take the old ones out anyways to plate it, so maybe it wont be the standard $70 to install the new ones

appreciate the suggestion for the WV guy though

$30-50 for APW to do it since they will already have the old sights out...depends how much fitting needs done

just going to let them take a crack at it....sending it out today. thanks everyone!

ill post up some pics when i get it back....as much as i like black firearms, im a sucker for two-tone...and since they didnt make two-tone SKs I'm having my own done