Rider hits dear in Athens county, killed both the rider and the deer

Casper

Deer = almost no warning. This video is me in the cage with my boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZzeZqmQM00

I hated riding at night on the Vousia becuase the headlights sucked. I nearly hit a deer carcass on 71 and I had less than a second to react due to the crappy headlights.

I was in the left side of the center lane, the carcass with in the right side of the lane. One second it was clear lane, next second it was big furry lump in the road, next second it was beind me. Missed it by just a few inches. Simply tno time to do anythign about it.

It was about 5 seconds before the reality hit me that it would have sent me down at 75mph in a heartbeat. It was about 2 hours before the I could get off the bike due to the bunghole suction created by the extreme pucker factor.

Haven't had the strompet out at night yet but I'm hoping it has better light coverage ahead.

RIP, it's almost like deer say BONZIII then run for it when cars are around. Then they sometimes stop dead and say wow those are some bright headlights. P.S. 23 south of 270 seems to have lots of deer, just a heads up.

Any accident is terrible but hitting a deer scares me the most. As posted by scruit ( scary video)

There is no rhyme,reason, or warning and deer are so unpredictable. Any moment can be the one.

RIP rider

RIP, it's almost like deer say BONZIII then run for it when cars are around. Then they sometimes stop dead and say wow those are some bright headlights. P.S. 23 south of 270 seems to have lots of deer, just a heads up.

I live on a 55mph road with tons of deer. I always drive that road at 30mph during the twilight hours. Seen too many deer carcasses to risk keeping up with the oblivious drivers doing 65.

RIP.

We (wife driving) hit a deer on 664 July 4th in our "new" old Mustang convertible. Minor damage ($1200), but it was the first actual deer hit for both of us. Sucks.

All the roads down here around Circleville seem to be in some prime whitetail areas. I rode in Michigan for some 35 years and learned to really watch for those critters. When riding at night in any area remotely rural watch for those reflective eyes. Also sometimes their body color stands out from the surrounding stuff they are standing in. I also tend to ride more on the centerline when possible and I slow down. I tend to be scanning off the road on both sides of the road maybe more than I am watching the road looking for the eyes or bodies or any movement. I mean even poor headlight coverage throws some light off the sides of the road which helps.

Bottomline tho is there are times all this just isn't enough. I think slowing down appropriately is really your best defense but I have seen them actually run into a car or bike, I mean run into the side of them. Once I saw a deer rear up just before hitting the side of a car and drive one of its front hooves through the door skin. I witnessed that!!!!! I have lost friends in vehicle/deer collisions. You just never know.

Imho night riding can be some of the best times especially out in the country away from traffic. Taking a ride in the cool night air is hard to beat.