AMA Round 8 at VIR cancelled

TSB67

well thanks for the info sherlock... this stuff we know.. we wanna know more.. as in why?!

Probably never will know, only way you will get the full details is if it went to court. I doubt that will happen.

check the WERA board. Racing is a small community. Someone will talk to someone else, and before yuo know it the whole community will know.

there aren't a lot of Daytona Motorsports Group fans in the WERA crowd, so if the track itself was actually to blame, and that's the story people are hearing, I would tend to believe it. They will be looking for any reason to bash DMG.

VIR Issues Statement About Canceled Races

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/790/10517/Motorcycle-Article/VIR-Issues-Statement-About-Canceled-Races.aspx

vir_bostrom.jpg

Virginia International Raceway issued its statement regarding yesterday's announcement that the AMA Pro road races scheduled for the track in August had been canceled.

Virginia International Raceway surprised everyone yesterday when it announced it is pulling the plug on the AMA Pro Racing round scheduled for the track on Aug. 12-14. While circumstances surrounding the decision are still unclear, VIR issued this statement to clarify its position. -ed

"VIR has received a number of inquiries and expressions of disappointment regarding the lack of a 2011 AMA Pro Racing event at VIR. As with any disagreement, there are two sides to every story. We want to make it clear that the decision was not one-sided, as *David Atlas' remarks have implied, and that VIR made numerous proposals to AMA Pro Racing to keep this event on schedule. Due to our 10 year history with this premiere event, we are as disappointed by this outcome as most of those we have heard from.

VIR has worked hard to bring the event to fruition for months. Despite requests by VIR beginning in December 2010, AMA Pro Racing did not deliver its proposed contract for the 2011 event to VIR until early June 2011. Resulting discussions made it apparent that insufficient time remained to negotiate the new terms in the proposed contract and, if agreement were reached, to plan, promote and conduct the event in a professional manner.

In an effort to preserve the date, VIR went to extraordinary lengths to reach an alternative agreement with AMA Pro Racing, which AMA Pro Racing chose to reject. Given these circumstances, we had no choice but to take the date off the calendar and notify the public promptly."

* AMA Pro Racing CEO and managing member David Atlas said in a phone conversation with Cycle News Paul Carruthers he was surprised by VIR's decision and that he had been discussing the issue with the racetrack since February.

There's always two sides to every story......

Neither of those stories contradict each other. I was sure from the start that VIR said, "F you, we're not losing money on this," and the "AMA" said, "Well, I guess there's nothing we can do here." They've come so far since rock bottom in 08/09 and finally have some exciting racing going, and they accept this happening. I bet yet another tarnish on the reputation of the series cost them more in the long run than it would have to make that race happen. I thought these DMG folks were supposed to bring some NASCAR-level clout with them - they can't just dip into some other account to protect the value of their investment?

Sorry for the rant. I guess it's just an emotional swing of seeing FOUR great races from MO this weekend, and then being reminded that the whole series is really still just a joke.

Perhaps I was the only one who wasn't aware of how AMA Pro racing works, but it's now my understanding (and I may be wrong here) that the track pays AMA Pro racing $xx,xxx for the "right" to host the event.

In years past, M1 promotions have billed this as the "big kahuna" weekend, and did a decent job of drawing a crowd. Supposedly the VIR staff saw the ticket sales, and thought, "we could promote this on our own - why are we paying M1 to do it?"

So they fired M1, and the result was that VIR didn't know how to promote the event. Ticket sales were shit. Because there was no contract given to VIR until early June (that's the AMA's fault, as far as I'm concerned...), VIR had every right to "back out" of an agreement they were never bound by.

It definitely sucks ass, but the track is the customer here. They're buying the event from AMA Pro Racing. The fact that people don't want to pay for the product isn't the track's fault.

while I agree that the situation sucks, and the fans are the ones who really suffer, neither party's hands are clean here. The AMA could have supplied a contract sooner, or cut the price to help out VIR. VIR could have or should have kept a promoter involved to bolster ticket sales, but keep in mind, that's just another added expense for the track. The promo company has to manage to pay for itself, then cover the AMA fee, then all the other expenses involved in running an event of that scale for a weekend; THEN make a profit.