Large wrench? (for ball-hitch)

redkow97

My trailer rides nose-heavy, and with Imprez55's bike going on next to mine tomorrow, I'd like to remedy that.

I bought a larger rise that should correct the problem, but I don't have a suitable wrench to loosen the ball from the old riser; nor do I have one to tighten it down on the new one.

I can't remember how the hell I tightened the current one either. I thought I had a crescent wrench that was big enough to get around the nut on the hitch, but no dice.

Now i'm thinking I call the local u-haul, and ask them if i can throw them a few bucks to borrow their wrench (in their parking lot) for 5 minutes. Other ideas? If I had plate-metal and a plasma cutter, I'd just make my own wrench...

just buy a large Cresent wrench from harbor frieght for cheap. you won't use something like that very often so no need to buy the good brands.

this is what I should have done when I was buying the larger "drop" (being used as a rise) last night...

I almost did, but I thought my current crescent wrench was big enough :(

Advance or Auto Zone will have one near the trailer junk.

I'm 90% sure Advanced and AutoZone will both rent the tools to you. Their tool rental is awesome because it's free. You pay the deposit, use the tool, return the tool, get deposit back.

I have one of those wrenches, but a large pipe wrench will work so you don't have to buy a specialized tool. I bought mine on clearance At lowes when I worked there $10-$14 is a lot to spend on a tool you may use every few years. I've used mine like 3 times.

Edited by crb

Auto Zone doesn't have them to loan, but they sell 'em for $12.

I'm tempted to buy the thing, change the hitch in the parking lot, and then walk it back into the store and say, "here - now you have one to loan me when I need this again in 4 years."

it's just going to take up room in my tool box or somewhere on/in my work bench.

I wish I would have saw this earlier. I should have a wrench/socket that will work. I torqued mine to spec with a socket and my 3/8ths torque wrench. PM me your addy and I can stop by with a bunch of tools

Pipe wrench works too

appreciate all the replies. Pipe wrench is what I ended up using. $9.99 at Auto Zone, and I might actually use it again.

I just used a 4" C-clamp to keep the base of the hitch from rotating, and then the pipe wrench on the nut itself.

it's solid. Might silicone it just to be safe, but I'm not worried at all.

The 4" rise makes my trailer almost PERFECTLY level, which is awesome. I'm maybe 1 or 2 degrees nose-heavy, so pretty much ideal :D Tongue weight can't be more than 45 or 50 lbs. I might throw the spare tire on the tongue to ADD weight.