WTB: 24 hours of LeMons car.

Moto-Brian

4.1: Total Investment in Vehicle Can Not Exceed $500: Except for items described in Rules 4.2 and 4.3, the total spent to purchase and prepare any car may not exceed $500.

4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that "should be" worth $500 don't count; cars that "were worth $500" before you spent another $2000 to fix them don't count; cars you've owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don't count; "it would have been worth $500 if it didn't already have a cage" doesn't count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin' dollars.

4.1: Total Investment in Vehicle Can Not Exceed $500: Except for items described in Rules 4.2 and 4.3, the total spent to purchase and prepare any car may not exceed $500.

4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that "should be" worth $500 don't count; cars that "were worth $500" before you spent another $2000 to fix them don't count; cars you've owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don't count; "it would have been worth $500 if it didn't already have a cage" doesn't count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin' dollars.

Understand the rules. People with $500 cars are most likely capable of dealing on said price. I also have access to a pile of steel tubing and parts that are sitting for free and therefore will not count against the price of the car...

Trust me, we understand the rules...

The great thing about a $500 car is that the relationship between what it is and what it's worth is long gone. In three years you can still sell it for $500.

I looked hard for a $1000 car about a year ago. It was a game. Try to find the best car you can for $1000. Closest I came was a Tercel in great condition and high miles. It was gone instantly. Everything else was a roach motel.

^--- Yep. $500 doesn't go very far anymore.

I say you get a $200 motorcycle, and put doors, seats, and a cage on it. Poor man's TRex.

I work with a couple guys that've done it, but I dunno if the race requires it to be titled as a 'CAR' (ie. with 4 wheels) vs. using a two-wheeled 'base'.

^--- Yep. $500 doesn't go very far anymore.

I say you get a $200 motorcycle, and put doors, seats, and a cage on it. Poor man's TRex.

I work with a couple guys that've done it, but I dunno if the race requires it to be titled as a 'CAR' (ie. with 4 wheels) vs. using a two-wheeled 'base'.

yes it must be a 4 wheel car

A buddy of mine does those races

I've seen video of a LeMons car flipping, so you definitely want a "real" car, and a serious roll cage.

The $500 purchase price is enforced, but there is no dollar limit on the amount of parts you can bring, so it can still get quite ridiculous.

I saw pictures of a team running a $500 Taurus SHO. their car was legitimately worth about $500 ...but they had 5 (seriously 5) parts cars on standby to donate parts. The collective lot of them was worth $3,000... Tell me that's fair.

Doing LeMons for fun is one thing. Doing it to win is waaaaaaay different, and still pretty expensive.

You can build a pretty good cage for about $200-250. I built one for my race truck and managed a front flip in it and hit the ground hard upside down/on the driver's side and it held up just fine. The rules state that the $500 does not apply to the roll cage and other safety features.