.223 Brown Bear ammo vs. Remington

Gump

Brown bear 55 grain, bi-metal, boat tail, hollow points, Laquer coated, steel cases.

VS. Remington 223 FMJ

From a 100 yards. The results were interesting. Remington was about 6 inches low and center and Brown Bear was 6 inches to the right and center. About 5" patterns.

Which is better?

Edited by Gump

use what you sighted it in with.

? yes. Same everything, same gun. The bull's eye was not a goal it was just to see how different the projectories were.

Look them up on their sites it should have it there. I would go with the faster of the two

It was a rhetorical question. I was just amazed there would be such a difference between the two yet drastic cost differences. They both held a good pattern. Guess I can't change ammo without resighting the scope though.

I'm working with the same deal gump. I'm looking into shooting either a 75 or 77 gr both have same velocities of 2750. I'm trying to find the ballistic charts for both but haven't got into it yet tonight.

It was a rhetorical question. I was just amazed there would be such a difference between the two yet drastic cost differences. They both held a good pattern. Guess I can't change ammo without resighting the scope though.

Oh lol I fail hahaha

Moar lol. I really want a 1000. At first my goal was 750 but me and walther shattered that with his (our guns are twins) on memorial day with 847 yards :)

Sweet and Interesting.... 223 still? You holding about 4' high? What optics power and how big was the target?

Edited by Gump

Sweet and Interesting.... 223 still? You holding about 4' high? What optics power and how big was the target?

.223/5.56. I'm not sure what hold I'm at I haven't figured it up yet. Optics I'm using a vortex 6.5x24 crossfire and the target was or is 12 in x 12 in

It was a 12" steel plate (maybe 14, it was flounders). Scope was a 6-24x. I shot it somewhere around 18-20x. No holding, its a target/tactical scope, so just dialed 8.4 mils, made a wind call and dialed, and clang goes the steel.

.223/5.56. I'm not sure what hold I'm at I haven't figured it up yet. Optics I'm using a vortex 6.5x24 crossfire and the target was or is 12 in x 12 in

And it was 223 pressure blackhills 77. The mk262 ammo they are selling commercially now is a good 100-150fps faster.

Last high-power match @600 yards using Blackhills 77grn 2-X, 6-10's, 2-9's

Yeah that's what we are using. The only thing is I'm thinking of going with the 75 gr since I can come by them more easily at our local gun shop here. Blue box and red box have the same advertised velocities in both 77gr and 75gr

I couldnt remember what box you had bought.

And btw I have checked out that balistic calculator and it's Greek lol

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Leave all the stuff at defaults except the following.

Use the 77gr smk (litz) from the drop down, ignore the caliber/weight crap

2750 muzzle velocity. Sight height 2.65

use 0 as min range, 1000 as max, 50 yard increments. 100y zero distance. use roughly 1000ft altitude and input the weather conditions for the day (temp, humidity, pressure)

The last 2 values (column 1 units and column 2) set the first to inches (this is your drop/drift) and set the second to MOA (this is your correction for that drop/drift)

Then save off that chart and do it all again with the 75gr bullet.

It's looking like we are going to get less drop out of the 75 gr hornady. We might have to experiment a little. I'm intrigued now and I'm headed to the reloading bench to look up numbers and possible loads. I'll text you in the morning. I might be headed to Woodbury tomorrow now. I cleaned about 50 .223 brass rounds last week. I could start throwing a few different things together and we could do sone testing if it wasn't for this stupid wedding. Lol

Edited by kawi kid

That's a cool calculator, thanks for the link. Kinda confirms what I had already suspected with my match gun though. My bullet goes subsonic right before reaching 1000 yards. Really need to start some heavy practice and do the national matches up at camp perry next year.