.223 Brown Bear ammo vs. Remington

Gump

Brown bear 55 grain, bi-metal, boat tail, hollow points, Laquer coated, steel cases.

VS. Remington 223 FMJ

From a 100 yards. The results were interesting. Remington was about 6 inches low and center and Brown Bear was 6 inches to the right and center. About 5" patterns.

Which is better?

Which is better, its the one that hold the best group average for the money.

You will also have to factor in that you can reload the Remington and not the Brown Bear.

Sounds like you guys know what you're talking about. What are the projectory effects of shooting down hill?

Shooting uphill and downhill are the same. The amount of compensation you adjust for is directly proportional to the angle up/down and your straight line distance reading from the laser range finder. This is the mathematical answer. The other input is shooter position which varies from shooter to shooter and can affect the actual amount of compensation needed.

Read these.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/article1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman%27s_rule

Edited by flounder

Is the remington ammo in brass cases? :D

Yes.

Portmanteau.... Lol... I had to look that up. I guess I portmanteau'ed it.

Thanks Flounder. Very interesting.

My point basically to the birth of this thread was the cheap stuff held a pattern just as good as the expensive stuff. At least in small distances.

Yes.

Portmanteau.... Lol... I had to look that up. I guess I portmanteau'ed it.

Thanks Flounder. Very interesting.

My point basically to the birth of this thread was the cheap stuff held a pattern just as good as the expensive stuff. At least in small distances.

Group sizes dont always depend on the cost of the ammo. When you do the comparison of what you actually shot, you basically shot the same stuff.

Regular brass, standard measured powder throw, standard 55grain bullets.

Now take that and compare it to a box of match ammo that has much lower tolerances for differences in charge weights, brass weights, and bullet weights and spec, and you will realize the differences between match ammo and plinking ammo. The comparison you did was really just 2 different types of plinking ammo. Hopefully that makes sense.