Update on the Gimpmobile...

Scruit

For those who don't know, I broke my ankle last month and I can't drive my stickshift for a couple of months (or ride my bike for the rest of the season). Rather than rent an automatic for 2-3 months I bought a cheap used car to drive and plan to sell it on when I'm back in my own car. The hope is that even if I take a loss on the resale then it'll still be cheaper than renting for x months. Got an '89 Park Avenue, fully loaded. Had all the usual used-car problems.

Since buying the car I have replaced the gas tank, alternator, headliner, power seat controller, power antenna, fixed the AC and done a full fluid and filter service on it (oil / trans / coolant etc)

This week I am replacing the A/C compressor and power steeering return line which were both weeping. One CV boot was split when I got it so I'm replacing the halfshaft because I don't know the condition of the cv joint.

The A/C has been fully converted to R134 with a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube and new r134 o-rings on all connections. Pulled vacuum on it for an hour last night then left it overnight to check for loss of vacuum. This morning the vacuum was exactly where I left it, so I'm ready to weigh in the new refrigerant.

The only thing left now is the front passegener window is slow. Either need to be lubed or has a bad motor. New motor is $30 so replacing it is no problem.

Hopefully with all this work done by myself will mean I get my investment back, or close enough that it was cheaper thanreting ($700/mo). I'm $2500 in and not spending any more money on it.

Whoever buys this car is going to get a heck of a deal. Anything that could go wrong with this car was either already good or has been fixed by me. Once the window is done the car will be set for years.

Edited by Scruit

Whoever buys this car is going to get a heck of a deal. Anything that could go wrong with this car was either already good or has been fixed by me. Once the window is done the car will be set for years.

Glad its working out for you, but I've learned after 10 years working on automobiles that cars will always find a way to break

Glad its working out for you, but I've learned after 10 years working on automobiles that cars will always find a way to break

Sure. I guess the wheel bearings could go, etc. But all the usual stuff (a/c, cv joints, tires, brakes, alternator etc) is sorted.

Let me get this straight, You have $2500 in an '89 GM? :lol:

Dude, STOP! That car isn't worth that much in excellent condition. I know you havd a love for old buckety American cars, but I can't sit idle and watch you pour money into into a heap that isn't even worthy of a derby car.

Not trying to be a dick (im more obvious when im trying) I just don't want to see a good bloke like yourself get hosed on an undesireable pos.

I have a buddy who only drives old GM granny cars and his plan is always the same. 3800 motor. Under 80k (under 60k if possible) and always garage kept and everything must work. I don't think he has ever paid more than 2k for one and he finds them all the time in great condition. There are good old granny cars out there, just gotta wait for the owners to die.

I know I'm into it more that I can sell it for. Don't forget I have this car instead of a rental so it's saving me $250/wk in rental charges. I don't expect 2500 back on it. I expect 2500 -whatever the rental car would have cost me, which is $700/mo. I've been in it for a month already, so I only need $1800 out of it to break even as of this moment. If I have to drive it for another month then I'll only need $1100 out of it. If I have to drive it for 3 months I can donate it to goodwill and still come out ahead vs renting.

Edited by Scruit