Jet Kit

goldnchild000

damn they said it was going to be about 150 to tune it and they said ti would be about 250 to do all of it! So I It might almost be worth it for me to just take it down there. If I find someone on here to do it its going to end up being atleast 200 if not 250 anyway :(

With shop labor rates of $65-80 /hr it is hard to get out for under $200.

I still think shops are charging a base rate, not the amount of time it takes for some tasks.

Heck some shops still try to charge $30 or more to change a tire, even with the full powered Tire machines. I can have tires changed with my No Mar in about 5-10 minutes and add 5 minutes to balance. At $80 /hr that would only be $20.

But just let me know.

damn they said it was going to be about 150 to tune it and they said ti would be about 250 to do all of it! So I It might almost be worth it for me to just take it down there. If I find someone on here to do it its going to end up being atleast 200 if not 250 anyway :(

$150 is including them installing and the labor that is needed to tune the carbs. That sounds really fair and adding $100 for dyno time is legit.

What you'll have when you're done is a crisp running machine that will perform better than a seat of the pants deal...

I'd say $250 is pretty cheap. Problem with having someone do it and then dropping it off at Pro Stock is that they may not take it in. I doubt it and would suggest if Chris is good enough at it, to have him put it in there, leave all the plastic and stuff off and let them have at it. Probably save $75 or so...

$150 is including them installing and the labor that is needed to tune the carbs. That sounds really fair and adding $100 for dyno time is legit.

What you'll have when you're done is a crisp running machine that will perform better than a seat of the pants deal...

I'd say $250 is pretty cheap. Problem with having someone do it and then dropping it off at Pro Stock is that they may not take it in. I doubt it and would suggest if Chris is good enough at it, to have him put it in there, leave all the plastic and stuff off and let them have at it. Probably save $75 or so...

They are still charging $150 to tune and $250 to install and tune. How many runs with a sniffer should it take to to get them on. 3-5 range?

They are still charging $150 to tune and $250 to install and tune. How many runs with a sniffer should it take to to get them on. 3-5 range?

$150 to tune is still fair - I think that should get you up to 5 pulls. They'd really need to do a baseline and then go from there. So, baseline, tune, run, tune, and a final or two... I'd say they could get 4 pulls. 5 would be great as you are supposed to pull until you don't gain anymore to find the real HP, but each place does it different.

They're good guys down there so, thy know what's up. $100 labor for a jet kit install and tune is cheap. Most shops are $80/hr...

$150 to tune is still fair - I think that should get you up to 5 pulls. They'd really need to do a baseline and then go from there. So, baseline, tune, run, tune, and a final or two... I'd say they could get 4 pulls. 5 would be great as you are supposed to pull until you don't gain anymore to find the real HP, but each place does it different.

They're good guys down there so, thy know what's up. $100 labor for a jet kit install and tune is cheap. Most shops are $80/hr...

Kind of what i though for number of runs. Yeah about an hour 1/2 to install probably is what it will take for guys at pro stock. ( 2 hrs for me at least)....

Am I the only one who is thinking that you should just sell that Jet kit and ride it stock.. After all, its a 250 and its been the same design for 10 years or more.

Dude, the $250 plus the jet kit, plus the exhaust all equals SUBSTANTIAL HP gains. Like at least 5hp to the ground!!!:eek:

Nah, it'll be good for that bike, but yeah, I'd sell the whole deal and say "SEE YA" and get something else...

Dude, the $250 plus the jet kit, plus the exhaust all equals SUBSTANTIAL HP gains. Like at least 5hp to the ground!!!:eek:

Nah, it'll be good for that bike, but yeah, I'd sell the whole deal and say "SEE YA" and get something else...

I just want a sticker that says "This sticker adds 5 HP" That would make me sweet.

Am I the only one who is thinking that you should just sell that Jet kit and ride it stock.. After all, its a 250 and its been the same design for 10 years or more.

We have our disagreements, but I can agree with you mostly on this one.

Getting the pipe and putting the jet kit in cannot hurt, but having it dyno tuned professionally installed, etc just isn't worth it. I've had a 250 and you just can't rake that much power out of it.

To the thread starter, find someone you trust to put the jet kit in, and ride it.

I've put a dyno jet kit in my bike, zx6r, and have just seat of my pants tuned it. It runs a lot better than before the kit, but I don't race, I'm not going to spend the money to have it dyno tuned unless I can do it myself on the dyno.

If you want it installed and can't find anyone let me know I can put it in and get it dialed in enough for what you want.

Just my .02

We have our disagreements, but I can agree with you mostly on this one.

Getting the pipe and putting the jet kit in cannot hurt, but having it dyno tuned professionally installed, etc just isn't worth it. I've had a 250 and you just can't rake that much power out of it.

To the thread starter, find someone you trust to put the jet kit in, and ride it.

I've put a dyno jet kit in my bike, zx6r, and have just seat of my pants tuned it. It runs a lot better than before the kit, but I don't race, I'm not going to spend the money to have it dyno tuned unless I can do it myself on the dyno.

If you want it installed and can't find anyone let me know I can put it in and get it dialed in enough for what you want.

Just my .02

It isn't about hp gain. With a dyno, you can change the curve of power and torque to the optimum settings that in essence, will help the bike run better. Rich or lean is an issue that you cannot tell from your pants, either. Too rich is not going to net much power and too lean will get you power, but is harmful over a long period of time...

We raced with Kawasaki from 1998 to 2001 and had the ZX6Rs with carbs. 1994-1998 with Honda F2s and F3s... Trust me, seat of the pants tuning is not a good idea. Especially with an off the shelf jet kit... The deal is that your ass isn't going to catch the differences a pilot jet makes, a main jet makes or position of the needle. If it is wrong, sure... You'll have a stumble, you'll have a dip that is noticed, but I bet I could pull not only a couple of more hp with a dyno on her bike than you can with seat of the pants, but I could get it to be MUCH smoother across the range. Those little waves in the power line won't be felt. The dyno catches those and those little dips and wiggles are losses in power. Has nothing to do with racing as you are street riding, but if I were to do ANYTHING to my bikes, I would want it to be the best it can be - not half assed...

Unless you are a wizard at tuning carbs (A lot of older guys can do this well, but they are usually HD techs or old school carb guys - not many newer/last generation carb guys), you'll miss a lot. Again, the air sensor unit alone is worth it. Too lean is mean until it blows up...

If she decides to do this - DO NOT do the seat of the pants...

It runs a lot better than before the kit, but I don't race, I'm not going to spend the money to have it dyno tuned unless I can do it myself on the dyno.

Just my .02

I'm not busting your balls, but what credentials other the your few bikes you've "slapped" jet kits in do you have? How much dyno time have you had? Do you know what to look for and more importantly, do you know how to change things based on the dyno graph? The guys at places like Pro Stock are dyno tuning all the time. They see things over the course of years that help them tune other machines. I came from a shop where I worked for 6 years and we dyno tuned all my racebikes, but also dynod tuned a LOT of HDs, sportbikes for the street and even an AHDRA record setting drag bike. We saw a LOT of things and I learned a lot of things. However, the dyno guys who do it for a living know a lot more than I do and it is amazing to see the results after they see a graph and make suggestions as to what to change...

I'm not busting your balls, but what credentials other the your few bikes you've "slapped" jet kits in do you have? How much dyno time have you had? Do you know what to look for and more importantly, do you know how to change things based on the dyno graph? The guys at places like Pro Stock are dyno tuning all the time. They see things over the course of years that help them tune other machines. I came from a shop where I worked for 6 years and we dyno tuned all my racebikes, but also dynod tuned a LOT of HDs, sportbikes for the street and even an AHDRA record setting drag bike. We saw a LOT of things and I learned a lot of things. However, the dyno guys who do it for a living know a lot more than I do and it is amazing to see the results after they see a graph and make suggestions as to what to change...

I am dyno certified with dyno jet. I don't have a lot of experience with carbs, more so with fuel injection which is still not much. I feel I have the grasp enough to do my own bike though. It certainly is something that if i got the chance I would learn more and do more with the dyno so I can be better at it. It will take me longer to do a tune than someone else that has been dyno tuning for 10 years, but I can read a dyno graph and tune based on it. I am not an expert, and have never claimed to be, and you probably know more than I do.

And I'm not arguing most of what you say, I'm just stating that I don't see it to be worth the time and money for the small gains for street use.

In my opinion, notice, mine alone. You won't be able to get out all the spikes and have the A/F perfect, but you can put jets in and tune it close enough that you're not gonna blow the thing up. I'm no expert carb tuner, but I feel I've got a good enough grasp to get close enough. Unless I decided to start racing, at which point you better believe it'd be on the dyno.

It isn't about hp gain. Rich or lean is an issue that you cannot tell from your pants, either. Too rich is not going to net much power and too lean will get you power, but is harmful over a long period of time.

Finally someone has answered correctly.The jet kit is only to get to air to fuel set properly.The aftermarket exhust will generaly cause a lean condition. You need to add more fuel to compensate.The amount of fuel varies.

Well at this piont and listening to what all you have to say I think I'm going to try to have someone install it, and I"m going to take it to pro stock and pay the 150.. no big deal I just want it done right! Thanks guys.... Oh and if anyone wants to Install it let me know :)