Coolant For ZX 6r 09

NinjaDoc

I recently bought the 09 kawi zx6r and yesterday i noticed the coolant in the reservoir is on the "low" marking So i was thinking may be fill it up to the "full" mark.

I tried searching the net and here, variable answers. My doubt is

• what kinda coolant should i buy and use to fill it up?
  • Should i be buying the same brand tht kawi has in tank by default (which i dont know)?
  • Can i just remove the cap on the reserve tank and fill it in?

Yes, i am ultra n0ob in tech matters :( so slow explanation if possible plz

I recently bought the 09 kawi zx6r and yesterday i noticed the coolant in the reservoir is on the "low" marking So i was thinking may be fill it up to the "full" mark.

I tried searching the net and here, variable answers. My doubt is

• what kinda coolant should i buy and use to fill it up?
  • Should i be buying the same brand tht kawi has in tank by default (which i dont know)?
  • Can i just remove the cap on the reserve tank and fill it in?

Yes, i am ultra n0ob in tech matters :( so slow explanation if possible plz

Being on the "Low" mark is ok.. Its just the overflow. You can buy just regular coolant that kawi has, that will be just fine..

Yes all you need to do is remove the cap and put some in.. But being on "low" Is no biggy.. Id leave it alone, unless you plan on tracking it.. which you should! :D and then put water wetter in it! :D

I believe that Water Wetter and Engine Ice are basically the same.. I use water wetter in mine.. runs quite a bit cooler it seems too. just be careful because i dont believe either one has anti freeze. or not much below freezing so make sure the bike is warm all winter or change it out for the winter...

I believe that Water Wetter and Engine Ice are basically the same.. I use water wetter in mine.. runs quite a bit cooler it seems too. just be careful because i dont believe either one has anti freeze. or not much below freezing so make sure the bike is warm all winter or change it out for the winter...

Engine ice is nothing like water wetter.

Engine ice is nothing like water wetter.

What the slow guy said.

Two totally different products. WW is only a coolant with no freeze protection. Engine Ice is a coolant WITH freeze protection. Which means you won't be draining it at the end of every year before putting it away. :D

For coolant, I like Engine Ice and have been using that for a while. Works great with the giant sport-tourer and all the heat it generates. I believe that's also water-based so you can use that on the track too?

Most trackday orgs let you use it.. Wera will not let you race with it.. ama just allowed it this year..

I still prefer water wetter.. It cleans up on the track much faster than Engine Ice

you are correct after a little google.. water wetter has no anti freeze ability.. engine ice does.. most tracks only allow water wetter.. if your a street rider it doesn't much matter.

Not really true either.. Most allow antifreeze in novice, and engine ice, in intermediate and advanced...

Some won't let it in advanced though.

flushing coolant is time-consuming, but simple.

a lot depends on if your bike has a coolant drain plug, or if it's simpler to just disconnect a hose.

I use the drain plug because i hate messing w/ hoses. Just open that, remove the radiator cap, and let it drain with the bike on the side-stand. Then fill the bike with antifreeze & distilled-water that you pre-mixed in another jug, and run the bike for a few minutes to get the coolant circulating.

Let the bike cool, top off the coolant, and you're good.

Now the switch FROM antifreeze to water wetter is a little more time consuming, because you really want to make sure you flush ALL of the glycol based coolant out of the system. In that case, I'll dump a gallon of distilled water through the system after the antifreeze has drained, then run the bike w/ JUST distilled water in it, and drain again. Repeat that until the drainage runs (and pools) clear.

THEN drain out a little distilled water, add water wetter, and top off the bike with more distilled water.

What makes it suck is all the waiting for the bike too sufficiently cool off so you can open the radiator and make sure it's full.

flushing coolant is time-consuming, but simple.

a lot depends on if your bike has a coolant drain plug, or if it's simpler to just disconnect a hose.

I use the drain plug because i hate messing w/ hoses. Just open that, remove the radiator cap, and let it drain with the bike on the side-stand. Then fill the bike with antifreeze & distilled-water that you pre-mixed in another jug, and run the bike for a few minutes to get the coolant circulating.

Let the bike cool, top off the coolant, and you're good.

Now the switch FROM antifreeze to water wetter is a little more time consuming, because you really want to make sure you flush ALL of the glycol based coolant out of the system. In that case, I'll dump a gallon of distilled water through the system after the antifreeze has drained, then run the bike w/ JUST distilled water in it, and drain again. Repeat that until the drainage runs (and pools) clear.

THEN drain out a little distilled water, add water wetter, and top off the bike with more distilled water.

What makes it suck is all the waiting for the bike too sufficiently cool off so you can open the radiator and make sure it's full.

09 zx6r is sinchy.. We have coolant drain plugs.. Just drain that bad boy.. Blow the line out with a compressor, put distilled water in it with the drain plug still out.. Flush it all out, blow it out again, and fill er up!

Let me know if you have any questions.. I hvae the same 09 zx6r! I've done it like 4 times already :D

09 zx6r is sinchy.. We have coolant drain plugs.. Just drain that bad boy.. Blow the line out with a compressor, put distilled water in it with the drain plug still out.. Flush it all out, blow it out again, and fill er up!

Let me know if you have any questions.. I hvae the same 09 zx6r! I've done it like 4 times already :D

my R6 was that easy too. i used water wetter in it b.c everyone said it cleaned up better. luckily my wreck was in the pea gravel, so it was ok.

OP...

DO NOT use automotive coolant. Use Honda Coolant in the blue bottle, or any other OEM motorcycle coolant and you will be fine. They will mix.