Columbus Schools voting to make Pledge of Allegiance mandatory

Casper

roflmao, this thread is filled with some awesomeness

"I BELIEVE IN THE FIRST AMENDMENT!... unless it's something I think should be required! or unless it's something I disagree with"

Where's the westboro baptist church when you need them

Edited by Likwid

roflmao, this thread is filled with some awesomeness

"I BELIEVE IN THE FIRST AMENDMENT!... unless it's something I think should be required! or unless it's something I disagree with"

Where's the westboro baptist church when you need them

Shhhhh..... lets have freedom and rights....... but dont tell anybody! LOL :wtf:

The DOE is in place to educate my child. They aren't in place to ignite his patriotism.

I find this entire thread hilarious... if this story was about how in China forced it's students to pledge their allegiance to the chairman you know everyone would be crying over it.

I find this entire thread hilarious... if this story was about how in China forced it's students to pledge their allegiance to the chairman you know everyone would be crying over it.

And there is the FAIL in this thread.... The article clearly states that administrators would be required to include it as part of the schools instructional program. No where did it say that children would be forced to pledge their allegience to anything or anyone. Yet its misinterpreted time and again by those who are opposed to it as such......

I have first hand experience. When I was in 2nd grade I actually considered what the pledge was. Every morning we were required to stand and repeat in unison. After watching a documentary on brainwashing, I asked my mother if the pledge was one of those brainwashing techniques. After thinking about it for a moment she said "yes, it could be considered a form of brainwashing." I then asked her if I could refuse. She told me that it was my choice, and as long as I minded my manners, and did so respectfully I could politely decline to participate. Let's just say a war broke out, I rapidly found myself in the principal's office, and shortly thereafter the superintendent was involved...

I eventually won, and was allowed to opt-out, but it did cause a major uproar, and I definitely felt pressured to simply comply.

LoL @ the guys bashing Magz. Someone takes the time to consider what he is actually pledging to' date=' decides it's a nit too heavy, and politely refrains. [/quote']

And yet he continues to live here and take advantage of those freedoms and enjoy the protection provided by those who felt passionately enough to lay down their life for it.

:confused:

Edited by Rod38um

I'm proud to be an american, but I'm not a lemming, and I'm not blind.

I know my country has it's flaws, it's hipocricy, and it's antiquated ideals, but it is MY country. If I felt that the bad about my country outweighed the good, I would leave; Plain and simple.

I have no issues with the original version of the pledge, but the mccarthyist version needs to go. Also, we need to ask this pledge of our citizens, not our infants.

as for my patriotism coming into question...If war broke out tomorrow, and I were asked to serve, I would pick up whatever arms were required (and you all probably know my feelings about guns in general by now) and proudly fight for the safety of my family, and my home, in my country. I didn't volunteer for service as a job, as some of you have, because I thought I was better suited for other jobs. But don't think for a second that I wouldn't stand shoulder to shoulder with other americans in a time of need to do whatever it takes to secure this country, my home. Paid or unpaid.

Good to know Magley The set of ideas that many have fought and died for that our flag represents have given you that choice. Many other places do not have such choices.

Likwid...... There is a vast difference.

Those children are being forced, they have no choice but to salute and pledge their allegiance to a flag, to a party that does not believe in individual freedom or liberty. A party that oppresses its subjects and punishes those that disagree with it. It tells you what you may or may not watch or read

Here, the pledge is presented not forced on you. You are pledging to a set of ideas that includes "liberty and justice for all" It secures your freedom of choice and thought and your ability to argue right here. If you hate choice or freedom and wish to be controlled by others I can see where you may want it hidden away and not presented to our youth.

To argue against its presentation or to repeatedly insist this legislation forces children to recite it when it clearly does not is ridiculous.