If only...

scottb

Um. Those are legal. At least I've seen more than one for various calibers.

Heres one. I don't see any restrictions on purchasing.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=528357&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Magazines%20-%20Rifle%20-%2011%2B%20Rounds-_-PriceCompListing-_-528357

a lot of websites say:

We do not ship, sell or offer for sale any magazines over 30 rounds to any one in Ohio or anyone using a billing address in the state of Ohio.

not that i havent seen them here - but technically i think they may not be allowed

Magazines

High Capacity Magazine Restrictions

A number of states and/or localities in the United States restrict the sale of certain high-capacity magazines. It is very difficult for us to provide a detailed listing of all such restrictions and to keep such a listing current at all times. We have therefore limited the sale of high-capacity magazines to any state where a high-capacity magazine restriction exists. If you believe you are legally permitted to purchase such products, please provide us with appropriate information.

It is your responsibility to be or become familiar with your state and local firearm laws.

For further information, we recommend the following website: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

California: We do not ship, sell or offer for sale any magazines over 10 rounds to customers in California or to anyone using a billing address in the state of California.

Colorado: We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any magazines over 10 rounds to customers in Colorado or to anyone using a billing address in the state of Colorado.

Hawaii: We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any magazines over 10 rounds that may fit a handgun to customers in Hawaii or to anyone using a billing address in the state of Hawaii.

Illinois: We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any magazines over 10 rounds to customers in Illinois or anyone using a billing address in the state of Illinois.

Maryland: We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any magazines over 20 rounds to customers in Maryland or anyone using a billing address in the state of Maryland.

Massachusetts: We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any magazines over 10 rounds to customers in Massachusetts or anyone using a billing address in the state of Massachusetts.

New Jersey: We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any magazines over 15 rounds to customers in New Jersey or anyone using a billing address in the state of New Jersey.

New York: We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any magazines over 10 rounds to customers in New York or anyone using a billing address in the state of New York.

Ohio: We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any magazines over 30 rounds to customers in Ohio or anyone using a billing address in the state of Ohio.

may just be one of those things where the companies only do that just to be safe, there may be specifics that make them legal or illegal here etc....kinda like how some companies refuse to sell to people in california, even if its a CA legal weapon, just because they dont want to deal with the hassle and liabilities

Edited by Steve Butters

Under ORC 2923.11

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

A lot of things are grandfathered in. Some mags, if they are original(made before the ban) are legal but if they are a recent reproduction they fall into the illegal non-grandfathered area. The fact that they may be identical doesn't matter.

I thought there was an exemption where you could own and use them with permission from the county sheriff or something, this is what I was told and I can not confirm it.

I believe that if you have a licensed/registered full auto or SBR then these big mags are OK. However it is up to the local law on the interpretation of that exemption.

A couple of years back there was a guy in the Sylvania-Toledo area that had a registered machine gun in the form of a short barrel rifle and he had mags that put him over the 31 round limit with one in the chamber. The cops used the round limit to take away his guns and he had to lawyer up to get them back. I believe that he won the case and the law cops were ordered to give the guns back but they hadn't returned them like a year later. Supposedly the prosecuter or whoever keeps trying to drum up reasons not to return the guns.

Those are only legal for use in a NFA registered full auto weapon. It may fly with a registered destructive device or SBR, that all depends on the court ruling from the Toledo case that was mentioned.

Just because you see them for sale in a gun shop or at a gun show, does not mean they are legal to use. You can own one all day long, but the second you slap that mag into a rifle it is illegal.

Those are only legal for use in a NFA registered full auto weapon. It may fly with a registered destructive device or SBR, that all depends on the court ruling from the Toledo case that was mentioned.

Just because you see them for sale in a gun shop or at a gun show, does not mean they are legal to use. You can own one all day long, but the second you slap that mag into a rifle it is illegal.

This is exactly correct. I had a discussion with Ken Hanson from Buckeye Firearms about this topic and thats exactly what he said. They are perfectly legal to own, but put it into your gun and your a felon.

I expect that this law was made as a way to get people who've already committed a felony more time in jail, and not necessarily to be a primary offense. But I am way to cute to go to prison, so why risk it.

If you really want one, just register a lower as an SBR and your good to go.

huh, what? What you talkin bout willis.

Truthfully, I dont like them. Especially the newer ones. Plastic. Crap azz plastic. My buddy has one for his FAL rifle that is metal. It is sweet. He does experience a jam every now and then but damn is so much nicer. At least if he drops it, it wont break.