So you all thought I was paranoid? Scanners seem to be giving TSA agents cancer...

Casper

You have a legal right to refuse to go through the body scanner machines. Of course, by exercising this right you are guaranteeing you're going to get patted down, but in the face of 2 unpleasant decisions I'd take the one that doesn't have me eating radiation.

If its one or the other, I would IDEALLY rather just be patted down, but I hate people touching me that I don't want touching me. I get weirded out when in a line and the same person bumps into me more than once. So, I don't mind just doing the scan, its quick and nobody is putting their hands all over me, but w t f, I did the freakin scan, why am I still getting patted down?

Oh, and the rest of you. pervs :p

Actually only one of the body scanners at airports uses radiation, the other uses millimeter wave lengths that I'm told (I'm no engineer) is similar to a cell phone signal only much weaker...

Sent from my iPhone using SIRI

Actually only one of the body scanners at airports uses radiation, the other uses millimeter wave lengths that I'm told (I'm no engineer) is similar to a cell phone signal only much weaker...

You have it backwards. Cell phone signals are much weaker than this.

If its one or the other, I would IDEALLY rather just be patted down, but I hate people touching me that I don't want touching me. I get weirded out when in a line and the same person bumps into me more than once. So, I don't mind just doing the scan, its quick and nobody is putting their hands all over me, but w t f, I did the freakin scan, why am I still getting patted down?

Oh, and the rest of you. pervs :p

I'm not kidding but when I fly I dress like I should be the guy that needs the extra screening and have never been looked. Ask carrie next time uoi see her. Plain black tshit, jeans, boots, aviator sunglasses(still on while going thru security) and the most pissed off look on my face u can muster.

I'm not kidding but when I fly I dress like I should be the guy that needs the extra screening and have never been looked. Ask carrie next time uoi see her. Plain black tshit, jeans, boots, aviator sunglasses(still on while going thru security) and the most pissed off look on my face u can muster.

Trust me when I tell you that EVERYONE has that face. I go out of my way to be nice to the airline folks, but when I get to the TSA checkpoint I've magically plum run out of fucks to give.

Update [2:20 p.m.]: The TSA spokesperson contacted Healthland to point out that the complaints from the Boston airport security workers date back to May 2010 and that the TSA has responded to them. The TSA provided this May 2010 document from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) that states in reference to the “cancer cluster” claimed by the Boston union that “15-25 cases of cancer over nine years among approximately 1100 employees are not an excess of cancer.” NIOSH states that “it is unlikely that the cancers reported are associated with exposures from the TSA baggage screening machines at [boston Logan International Airport].”

This wasn't updated when you posted, Casper, but apparently it isn't en excess number of cases. I don't actually see any evidence or numbers in the article. Not that I like the scanners, but the article doesn't really say much beyond "people got cancer and they were close to radiation". I want to see numbers from dosimeters and the like before judgement can be passed whether or not its bad from a radiation standpoint.

There is a higher percentage of cancer now because we are living longer. The more times a cell replicates, the more times there is a chance that there will be a major flaw that will not be corrected from the body. If you are comparing to recent history than its usually because now its diagnosed and complied into one type of death where it wasn't fully understood before and was reported as "natural causes" among other things.

You have it backwards. Cell phone signals are much weaker than this.

Nope, 1 scan is equivalent to about .1 second cell call.

I've been scanned by these many times in a short period of time (1 hour) and my dosimeter always came back 0