VIN vs. Frame/Engine Number

jester3681

Hey all, just got a new (to me) Virago, got the title work done, brought it home... and realized something. The title lists the frame/engine number, not the 17-digit VIN. How big a deal is this? This is the number that was listed on the original 1984 title, so I didn't even think about it until I was cleaning her up and taking pictures. I think 1980 or 81 was the first year for the 17-digit VIN so maybe it just wasn't common practice to put it on the title yet. The title does match the bike, just not the way it would if the bike was titled in today's age. Thoughts?

No, Tim - this bike definately has a 17-digit VIN on the frame sticker. But it also has an 8-digit frame and engine serial number stamped on both the frame and the engine - this is the number on the title.

OH OK, got ya im a little slow today...and the best answer i can give you is...im not sure...i know big help i am, right

When I worked for the CA DMV, this was an easy fix. You would bring the bike and title in for inspection, and sign a statement of facts explaining what happened. I'm not positive it'll be that easy in Ohio, but it shouldn't be too far off. I think most dealerships will inspect the bike, that's how we had to register our bikes from CA.