I love my Droid X BUT....

chevysoldier

...the stupid buttons on the bottom have stopped lighting up in the dark, actually it's an intermittent problem. I have gotten three refurbished replacements, all end up having the same issue. I sent back the second refurb X on Friday. Called them Saturday to complain the one they just sent was doing the same thing. I told him it's BS because the other one is literally in the mail as we speak. He over-nighted me another (shipped Monday, got it yesterday.) He said he'd call me back to follow up and if I was having issues then they would upgrade me into a better phone. So first off, any ideas on what I should upgrade to if possible? And no iphones...

Here is a video of my issue to see if you're having it also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFONsfIlgOc

Edited by chevysoldier

Ive gone through 4 blackberries in a year working on number five pretty soon. Same issues even with tech support. Know what yo mean Chevy.

I've gone through the 3 replacements in like 2 months. I'm tired of setting everything back up.

Mine is having the same problem. I hadn't commited it to memory as a problem till now though. I was just testing your video on my phone and the lights worked maybe 1 out of 10 times at best. They seem to flash for a split second then just stop.

Edited by SJC1000rr

Mine is having the same problem. I commited it to memory as a problem till now though. I was just testing your video on my phone and the lights worked maybe 1 out of 10 times at best. They seem to flash for a split second then just stop.

Yep, when they don't light up they will flicker a little bit. I will say so far Verizon tech support has been really great.

i loved my droid x - but switching to the commando was the best thing i did phone-wise....i fucking love this phone....runs all the same stuff as the X (the camera isnt as sweet, but its not bad)....and its rugged...drop proof, scratch proof, dust, shock, water proof etc....hell, i kept it in my swim shorts all day at zoombezi bay....it survived all the slides, took some sweet underwater pics, and even stayed fully submerged for over a half hour at a time without a problem

i loved my droid x - but switching to the commando was the best thing i did phone-wise....i fucking love this phone....runs all the same stuff as the X (the camera isnt as sweet, but its not bad)....and its rugged...drop proof, scratch proof, dust, shock, water proof etc....hell, i kept it in my swim shorts all day at zoombezi bay....it survived all the slides, took some sweet underwater pics, and even stayed fully submerged for over a half hour at a time without a problem

Funny you mention it, it's one that I am considering if I can get it. I had the Boulder and loved it. I didn't worry if it got wet on the bike or if I dropped it. Not worried about the camera, least of my worries. How does the screen compare to the X? I'm so used to the large screen and easily navigating it. I hate my wife's Ally because the screen is so small. But everything you could do on the X you can do on the Boulder? Can you add your accounts into it so they sync with your contacts? Hows the battery life?

Damn, I might just need to meet up with you to fondle it for a minute. ;)

any time you wanna mess with it you can....i havent tried adding accounts to sync, i hated that my DX automatically did it...i had all my facebook contacts littering up my contacts list, and if i switched it to phone only, it would only last until i rebooted and then back to everybody...it was a pain lol

i would assume it does, because its on android 2.1, same as DX

the camera is still a 5.0 MP camera though....but the flash is the style like the boulder, where its always on, doesnt flash like DX...the camera is mediocre in low light situations, but ok in the day

its single flash, not double like the DX - so the flashlight isnt as bright...it does its job...the flashlight app that comes on it (the only one that works - market apps wont work for it) kinda is hit or miss...it will shut off by itself, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 10, etc....most people wouldnt notice, but in the morning i navigate my house in the dark so i use it daily

other than those two things - no issues with the phone at all

the t9 swype program that comes on it is not as good as real swype...it works, but doesnt pick up on mis typing so much.....theres a keyboard app that costs $5 (got it on amazon market thing as a free day special) called Swift Key X i believe (i can check if you want)....best keyboard ever....regular typing, no swype, but you can completely butcher words and it fixes them for you....it also has a built in memory and it predicts what youre going to say based on old txts... like, if i say "what're you doing?" often, as soon as i type wh it will pop up what're then ill click it and it will pop up the next word etc...can type full sentences with just a couple clicks

the smaller keys are a pain to get used to....i used to turn it sideways to be able to hit them..once i got that keyboard app though its no problem...i butcher every word i type and somehow it knows what i mean and fixes them as i go

oh..i have one more complaint but its not too bad...its setup like DX with the screen and 4 buttons under it, but those buttons are integrated into the touch screen....which will be good for you since theres no lights to worry about since they always work....but it makes it a lot easier to accidentally hit the home key while typing a txt...usually do this once every few days, not a huge deal...it will save the txt, you dont have to start over, just have to go back into msging and pick up where you left off

the phone is physically about the same size as the DX - little bit smaller..more rounded so its nice...dont need a case either so it stays thinner too...the screen is smaller since theres more rubber and stuff around it, but its not "small"....i hate ally's too, this screen is not small like that, no worries there

and the glass on it is "gorilla glass"...not sure what that is, but its tough...had my phone on my lap, stepped outta my truck and it fell a good 4ft and landed on the asphalt right on the screen - not a scratch on it

Edited by Steve Butters

are you getting oil/sweat/blood into the buttons? cause i frequently get lube, blood, and unknown fluids all over the buttons occasionally and they act up and then after it dries, and it's had a cigarette, it starts acting normally again.

• Upvote 1

Tbut, thanks. I'll have to check it out.

picture.php?albumid=673&pictureid=13570

:lol:

Haven't had an issues with my X. Don't know what to tell ya.

Have an unused BB Storm if you want it.

Thanks but not wanting a BB

So why does it matter if those lights don't work?

Cuz they are supposed to work and when I use it at night it can be a pain in the butt. For something to not work pretty much out of the box is poor quality. Verizon/Motorola knows about the issue but instead of saying "yeah we know but there is nothing we can do about it right now" or "hey how about we hook you up with ....." instead of just sending me phones I have to set up each time and going around in circles.

are you getting oil/sweat/blood into the buttons? cause i frequently get lube, blood, and unknown fluids all over the buttons occasionally and they act up and then after it dries, and it's had a cigarette, it starts acting normally again.

No, it stays dry and I'm pretty careful with it.

• 4 months later...

I called them about my latest DX and how the button lights still didn't work and it had pixels go out on it. They ended up sending me another DX and when I got it it wouldn't read any micro SD card (I tried 3 different ones). After complaining they said they would send me another DX, I'm really not happy at this point. I called back and talked to a manager, he said they sometimes have an issue reading the cards and would send me a new card. Well yesterday I got the replacement DX, or so I thought. Turns out they sent me a brand new Droid X2. I even pulled the card from it to test the other phone and sure enough it won't read either. I talked to the guy that sent the SD card and updated him on everything. He said to refuse the SD card and send back the phones and charger, I can keep the extra battery as it doesn't hold a charge all that well anymore.

I am very happy with the X2 and so far has NO problems. UI is a tad better on this one and is a bit faster. I'm happy now. :D

...the stupid buttons on the bottom have stopped lighting up in the dark, actually it's an intermittent problem. I have gotten three refurbished replacements, all end up having the same issue. I sent back the second refurb X on Friday. Called them Saturday to complain the one they just sent was doing the same thing. I told him it's BS because the other one is literally in the mail as we speak. He over-nighted me another (shipped Monday, got it yesterday.) He said he'd call me back to follow up and if I was having issues then they would upgrade me into a better phone. So first off, any ideas on what I should upgrade to if possible? And no iphones...

Here is a video of my issue to see if you're having it also.

Droid X Button Lights - YouTube

How long did you have it before you started having the problem? I've had mine for a year and a half with no issues.