Need a 220 line run too a hottub

Ringo

I just bought 8x8 10 seater hot tub but the closest 220 line there is is about 15 feet away running to my dryer, im pretty sure that i need a seperate line anyway on a 30 amp breaker. Does anyone on here do electrical work, if it could be done today itd be great but let me know if anyone is available to do this kind of work period. I would rather pay someone on here than some random electrician.

Hot tub is about 50 feet from the breaker box

Hot tub came with wall mount box

Oh shit you just called the mighty bird a liar

I usually would, i redid my basement and ran the 110 line but i think for 220 i should have someone licensed do it just for the warranty? Unless youve done 220 and can tell me the extra precautions i need to take.

I just bought 8x8 10 seater hot tub but the closest 220 line there is is about 15 feet away running to my dryer, im pretty sure that i need a seperate line anyway on a 30 amp breaker. Does anyone on here do electrical work, if it could be done today itd be great but let me know if anyone is available to do this kind of work period. I would rather pay someone on here than some random electrician.

Hot tub is about 50 feet from the breaker box

Hot tub came with wall mount box

I've hooked up a few hot tubs in my time, it's not difficult and I'm not an electrician. Go get yourself some 6ga. 3 conductor w/ground cable and run it yourself, you'll save easily a few hundred bucks this way. You'll also need a 50 amp breaker made for your box, not a 30. Make sure the wall mount box that came with the tub has a GFCI in it and it needs to be at least 10 feet from the tub. If I were closer, I'd help you out.

**Make sure you turn off your main breaker before messing with the electric box**

I would agree that you'd want someone who knows what they're doing, preferably licensed, but then again I personally don't like working with electricity.

Shouldn't cost too much, < $100 I'd guess, to have someone do it.

I've hooked up a few hot tubs in my time, it's not difficult and I'm not an electrician. Go get yourself some 6ga. 3 conductor w/ground cable and run it yourself, you'll save easily a few hundred bucks this way. You'll also need a 50 amp breaker made for your box, not a 30. Make sure the wall mount box that came with the tub has a GFCI in it and it needs to be at least 10 feet from the tub.

**Make sure you turn off your main breaker before messing with the electric box**

thanks for the advice, i was just thinking probably should run it myself. Few Q's

10 feet from the tub makes it up to code or is that just a suggestion?

6gage wire can handle 50 amps ? Why the extra 20?

The guy i just purchased it from said he was running 30 amps no problems.

I've hooked up a few hot tubs in my time, it's not difficult and I'm not an electrician. Go get yourself some 6ga. 3 conductor w/ground cable and run it yourself, you'll save easily a few hundred bucks this way. You'll also need a 50 amp breaker made for your box, not a 30. Make sure the wall mount box that came with the tub has a GFCI in it and it needs to be at least 10 feet from the tub. If I were closer, I'd help you out.

^^^^ He beat me too it. Also make sure to get a good outdoor rated connection box so you dont fry yourself in the rain. Turn the power off to the house and get to work.

Also if your smart, you can set up your Hot Tub box so that you can use it to back feed your house panel with a generator in case of power outtages. :) Again, before backfeeded a panel you want to make sure the main is OFF.

im gonna browse around for a bit atleast see if its worth the risk of no warranty depending on how much people charge. Id rather spend the money and give someone some work, maybe get to know a good electrician for the future.

Anyone know anyone decent in the riverside hospital columbus area?

^^^^ He beat me too it. Also make sure to get a good outdoor rated connection box so you dont fry yourself in the rain. Turn the power off to the house and get to work.

Also if your smart, you can set up your Hot Tub box so that you can use it to back feed your house panel with a generator in case of power outtages. :) Again, before backfeeded a panel you want to make sure the main is OFF.

Well what if i leave the power on and just use a screwdriver with a big rubber handle :rolleyes:

If you rewired your basement you should have no trouble.

If you have to run through conduit I would suggest you use single strand it's much easier to feed through and yes GFI is a must.

If you're running underground, wouldn't you have to/want to run it through conduit?

...Anyone know anyone decent in the riverside hospital columbus area?
Well what if i leave the power on and just use a screwdriver with a big rubber handle :rolleyes:

assuming you're alive, you could just walk over to the hospital... :D

thanks for the advice, i was just thinking probably should run it myself. Few Q's

10 feet from the tub makes it up to code or is that just a suggestion?

6gage wire can handle 50 amps ? Why the extra 20?

The guy i just purchased it from said he was running 30 amps no problems.

Yes, the 6ga wire will handle it just fine. Your tub may be different, but mine has 2 dual speed 6 hp. pumps and a 6k watt heater, it pulls a lot of power when the filter cycle kicks on both pumps and the heater is running. So per the mfr., a 50amp breaker is required. And yes, the outside disconnect box needs to be 10 feet away per code.

When I had a few electricians come out and quote the job, I was quoted between $500-$800 with materials for this job.

Yes, the 6ga wire will handle it just fine. Your tub may be different, but mine has 2 dual speed 6 hp. pumps and a 6k watt heater, it pulls a lot of power when the filter cycle kicks on both pumps and the heater is running. So per the mfr., a 50amp breaker is required. And yes, the outside disconnect box needs to be 10 feet away per code.

When I had a few electricians come out and quote the job, I was quoted between $500-$800 with materials for this job.

Well shit on that note im doing it my dam self, i was thinking a 100 bucks. Ripoff merchants.

Well shit on that note im doing it my dam self, i was thinking a 100 bucks. Ripoff merchants.

Electricians don't come cheap.... well at least not the good ones

Another option is running the line yourself and having an electrician make the connections if your not comfortable making them this should save you some cash.

assuming you're alive, you could just walk over to the hospital... :D

well i think if i angle the trajectory of myself after i hit 220 with my screwdriver i should atleast get a headstart of about 5-10 feet right ? Ill just crawl the rest of the way. Ill take the secondary precations and make sure i have my nikes on.

Classes don't stat until tomorrow and summer classes ended 2 weeks ago
your a whiney bitch, go evict more friends you money hungry pos.

I like to prep for classes, and work is the main set back.

lol funniez